mtbr member

Santa Cruz Tallboy v3 vs Ibis Ripley LS v3 (Long Post)

EDIT:
    After trying several different bikes I went a new direction and picked up the new 2019 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp Carbon in May 2018 and I am totally happy with the descision

Hi, Iím going to be building up a new bike next year and after researching Iíve narrowed it down to the only 2 bikes that meet my strict requirements:
    1. 110 to 120 rear travel
    2. 120 to 130 front travel
    3. 29er Wheels
    4. Boost spacing
    5. Threaded bottom bracket
    6. 31.6 Seatpost
    7. Must be able hold a large water bottle in the triangle
    8. Head Angle between 67į & 68į
    9. Full Carbon Frame
    10. Available as a frame only option

I have these requirements based on how and where I ride and to easily transfer the upgrades from my current FS bike, 2017 Scott Spark (Which will get itís original parts put back on and kept as a spare bike).

Below are the bikes that I researched but didnít meet my non negotiable requirements. A few of the bikes below look real good, but I just canít accept anything other than the requirements above : Pivot Mach429, Evil Following MB, Specialized Camber, Transition Smuggler, Salsa Horsethief, Yeti SB4.5 (waiting to see new ASR), Intense Primer, Kona Process111, Niner Jet 9 RDO, Orange Stage4, YT Jeffsey, Canyon Neuron, Whyte T-130, Trek Fuel EX, Devinci Django, Spot Mayhem 29, Cube Stereo 120, Norco Optic & Fluid FS, Turner Czar, Orbea Occam, Cannondale Scalpel SE 2 and any Giant.

Some background:
    Iím 178cm (5í10Ē) 80kg (176lbs), Iíve been riding for over 30 years, Iím from Southern California  but live in Denmark  where we donít have mountains or long steep climbs or descents. We do have a lot of great trail systems with both fast and flowing and short steep and technical. I use my MTBs to commute to the office (every day, all year and all weather) and hit the trails on the way home if the trail conditions/weather allow.

Next spring Iím headed back to SoCal for a few weeks and will be renting demos of both bikes. I would like know your opinions on how they compare to each other and my current bike. (Plus Iím bored and thought I would start up a thread for entertainment)

The only real differences that I see that stand out is that the Tallboy can switch to 27.5+ and the Ripley can accept 2.6 wide 29er tires. Also VPP vs DW link suspension.

Anyone here who has experience on both bikes that can give me some pros and cons or any advice or info I may not have thought of?
    Last edited by Hesher123; 06-26-2018 at 12:49 AM.
    2019 Specialized Stumpjumper Carbon
    - DT Swiss XRC 1200 Wheels
    - Race Face Next Cranks
    - Chris King BB
    - ODI Rouge Grips

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Hi, Iím from New York and I own a V2 LS. When I think of Denmark I think of wet and flat muddy trails, very different from California conditions and riding. I havenít ridden in either of those two places, but have lived in a nearby country. You have selected some nice bikes, many of which I havenít tested or demoed. As far as the tallboy vs LS the decision would come down to wheel size. The tallboy is more versatile in that it can take both 29&27.5+. However, the 2.6Ē is the ďbest of both worldsĒ, and is going to be a fair bit more confident on the down hill. The bike is near impossible to go otb on, with speed. Iím sure your aware of the slight differences in warranty as well. I donít much care for the added weight of plus tires, but can appreciate it for snow and sand. I eventually decided I would get a fat bike, so I got the ripley instead. I also liked that the main pivots were shielded from the elements. I have commuted a little bit on the ripley as well. So the bikeís suspension is so good that I keep it in trail or open even when commuting. It does bob, through the tires and suspension otherwise, another reason I feel having too much cushion in your tires can be a bad thing. Iíve heard that the LS is in between the HT and TB. IMO the sizing feels a bit different as well, so that would likely infulence your decision if you demoed them side by side.

In your case, it sounds like you have many needs in which the clear advise would be to buy multiple bikes instead of dropping a ton of money on one bike to do it all. Can you not buy and sell a bike for your needs in Denmark? The reason I mention this is because if your frame cracks or something the headache of an international warranty claim may become real. Iím not certain what the company policies are and I feel they would take care of you here as long as you have proof of purchase. Iíve ridden a few of the other bikes on your list, but Iím not sure how useful such comparisons would be. Also, fitting a large watter bottle is a bit tough on my LS, even with a side loader, it occassionally hits my shock lever. I would also recommend shimano for a mtb commuter bike if you still go that route, due to cost savings.

Ride Fast Take Chances :)
    Don't forget that the tallboy can take as long of a dropper as you can fit on. The Ripley is limited to 125, maybe 150 if you size down. Both are great bikes.
    Making shit harder than it needs to be isn't awesome, it's just...harder.

mtbr member
    Thank you jokaankit & alexbn921 for the replys, lots of good information 😊

Not sure why I would need to buy multiple bikes, I already have 3 MTBs and 2 of those can do everything I need 👍 plus my intention was to buy a frame set and transfer my current upgrades from my 17í Scott Spark and set the Spark aside for a loaner/backup bike.

... but now there is a new development in my situation:
    Since my post I built our shed into a bike workshop and was hoping that would give me extra room for a 4th bike (6 counting my girlfriends bikes) but it didnít work out that way. I just couldnít make the space. Even with 2 bikes displayed in the house and 2 locked outside.

My Spark pretty much fits right in between the Tallboy & Ripley and now that I completed the rebuild this week (sans new wheel set) I have fallen back in love with it and when my new wheel set shows up it will be everything I need/want. Only thing is the annoying pressfit BB but now I just invested in all the proper tools so not a big issue... yet.

I am still planning to demo the SC & Ibis and other bikes while visiting SoCal in spring but for now Iím going to ride my Spark a while longer, save my cash and wait to see what the next generation of bikes bring to the table.

Iíll post up a picture of the finished Scott Spark + upgrades this week after I get the last details finished 😊
    - Race Face Next Cranks
    - Chris King BB
    - ODI Rouge Grips

mtbr member
    Here is the link to the "almost" finished Scott Spark:

2017 Scott Spark 930 Build... err... Re-Build? Bike Check
    - Race Face Next Cranks
    - Chris King BB
    - ODI Rouge Grips

mtbr member
    Ive ridden both the Ripley and TB3 and the Spot Mayhem will crush them both in every way.
    2018 Canyon Spectral
    2016 Ibis Ripley OG
    2016 Salsa Bucksaw

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by sml-2727 View Post
    Ive ridden both the Ripley and TB3 and the Spot Mayhem will crush them both in every way.
    Even in terms of sprinting / straight line acceleration?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by matt.s67 View Post
    Even in terms of sprinting / straight line acceleration?
    Easily, also the new Ripley is nothing like the old Ripley, it's a very poppy feeling bike now. The Mayhem climbs like an XC bike but decends like a AM bike, the frame is super stiff and when you first ride it the bike will feel a little funny at first because of how steep the seat tube is, but that feeling will go away and it just rips.
    2018 Canyon Spectral
    2016 Ibis Ripley OG
    2016 Salsa Bucksaw

The spot is closer to a Hightower than a tallboy. It has a relatively short reach along with limited dropper clearance. I do like the look of the bike.

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by alexbn921 View Post
    The spot is closer to a Hightower than a tallboy. It has a relatively short reach along with limited dropper clearance. I do like the look of the bike.

Spot and Hightower have pretty much the same reach. Eg. 18.7 on XL size. Spot has a shorter ETT not reach. Agree on dropper post clearance.

I have both in XL. I run 150mm dropper on both. Could run 170mm on HT. Spot is a much better climber. HT goes down with more confidence. It is unstoppable. I have to be more careful on Spot.

So I would say Spot is right in between HT and Tallboy.

mtbr member
    I actually sold my Hightower when I bought my SPOT.
    2018 Canyon Spectral
    2016 Ibis Ripley OG
    2016 Salsa Bucksaw

MSH
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sml-2727 View Post
    I actually sold my Hightower when I bought my SPOT.
    I preordered a Mayhem frame last week (they are out of Large frames) to replace my OG Ripley. I still love my OG Ripley which I had set up with a -1 Works Angleset and a 130mm Pike, but it's almost 5 years old now and I've been looking for a suitable replacement. With the Mayhem being a great climber (like the Rip) and more capable on the DH it ticked all the boxes for me. Being a small, local CO company is a bonus.
    I'm actually keeping my Hightower to compliment the Mayhem. I have the HT set up pretty burly with a X2 and a 150 Lyrik, so plan to make the Mayhem slightly more XC/Big day/All around trail ripper. Hopefully they will compliment each other well.

Trail Junkie
    I personally own a Ripley LS v2 and have had extensive time on the Tallboy (newest version) along with owning and riding the original I bought in '09, and just recently sold it after getting the Ripley...and then selling my Intense Spider 29c as well. My best friend also owns an Evil Following...so between them and myself we have the Ripley LS, Evil The Following, and Tallboy at our disposal.

To me, the Ripley LS is a bit more versatile bike if you're an aggressive rider. The Ripley is a ripper, period! I believe it fits squarely in between the Tallboy and the Following in terms of how the geometry and suspension behaves. By this I feel the Tallboy is a bit more taunt and more progressive with a bit better pedaling mannerisms. The Following is vastly more plush, solid, and feels strong. It climbs well, but if you jumped on the Following after riding the Tallboy, you'll definitely feel a difference in acceleration. To me, the Ripley falls squarely between the two. It feels slack and low like the Following, but it has that eagerness to get get up to speed like the Tallboy.

The riding dynamics and the suspension behavior is completely dialed. I recently went to a DVO Diamond and have it set up at 140mm and I truly believe that's the way to go. It does have a low BB, so the longer fork helps, but also the DVO just does an amazing job in complimenting the rear suspension. Everything is just so predictable, and you can just motor through rough stuff and it just eats it up.

Now I will say that the Ripley is not without fault.
    1) They run small. I own a size medium, and I clearly need a large at 5'8-5'9. To the point where I have to run a setback post to get my 55mm stem and Renthal bars (with low sweep) to get me happy in the bike. Its perfect, but it prohibits me from running a dropper. However, the byproduct is that the bike feels incredibly small and balanced under me, and I can just whip it all over the place and I feel so nimble but at the same time incredibly confident on the bike.

Keep in mind, I have the V.2 and I know there are some significant changes in the design with the suspension so I can only speak to the V.2 and its been a pain in the ass for servicing, and I am underwhelmed by the engineering for the rear suspension. My biggest frustration isn't the eccentrics, its the dogbone and shock apparatus. Its not stiff, and Ibis knows it, and I believe that is why they beefed up the top eccentric link to compensate. I do know the front shock hardware has been beefed up for the V.3 but on the V2, they have some aluminum races epoxied to the dog bone to act as a pivot. No bearings what so ever. It cheesy, its flexy and I don't like it. The main reason is that because there is no bearing, the 4mm bolts can work themselves loose even with locktite, and the only way to access them is to remove the wheel....which isn't tool-free (which is easily resolved by buying a new rear thru-axle with QR).

If you don't do your own maintenance, and prefer a shop that you trust does the work, I believe you'll be just fine with the Ripley because chances are they'll get it right.

The benefit of owning the Tallboy is their amazing warranty and customer support. Its undeniable, and can be the difference with your ownership experience. As far as the Evil goes, my friend's has been problem free, and maintenance free. He loves the bike, but he's in the position where he can move onto the newest and greatest at any time. Its his primary bike, but he splits his time with the Following and his Yeti ASR..which is closer to the Tallboy, but I wouldn't recommend it as a "trail bike".
    Ibis Ripley LS
    Intense Spider 29 C
    Cervelo S2
    Trek Boone 5 Disc
    Spech Tricross Expert
    Raleigh RX 1.0

mtbr member
    Wow... lots of great response and information, I love the short travel trail bikes and this is some good reading

The Spot Mayhem29 looks like a great bike and seems like it should be a good climber based on the reviews and steep seat angle but the 66.7 HA and 130mm travel may be overkill for me, I won't know until I ride one. I'll add that to my list of bikes to look at.

I will add to my original post by saying most of my riding isn't "crushing it" or very aggressive, again no long descents or climbs where I ride but a lot of punchy steep short climbs and short steep descents and a mix between fast and flowy and slow and technical.

I guess my priority #1, now that I think about it, would be long day out comfort. I mostly ride alone and when I can I try to ride the full day hitting as many different trails/forests as my ass can handle. Plus I ride the road between them to get to each destination. (40 mile/65km days) and multiple days in a row at varying distances.

When I do ride with others it's either a group of fast XC riders or my slow friends that take a breather every 20 minutes

i also do some XC racing only for fun, not trying to win, just racing against myself and having fun. I have just signed up for a 12 hour race happening in May which I'll be riding my Spark at.

I am also a bit of a weight weenie and like my bikes to be sub 27lbs/12.3kg.

So my new question is which of these bikes would be the most comfortable to ride all day?
    Last edited by Hesher123; 12-24-2017 at 01:35 PM.

Trail Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Hesher123 View Post
    Wow... lots of great response and information, I love the short travel trail bikes and this is some good reading

I'll start out with the Spot Mayhem29, that looks like a great bike and seems like it should be a good climber based on the reviews and steep seat angle but the 66.7 HA and 130mm travel may be overkill for me, don't know until I ride one. I'll add that to my list of bikes to look at.

I will add to my original post by saying most of my riding isn't "crushing it" or very aggressive, again no long descents or climbs where I ride but a lot of punchy steep short climbs and short steep descents and a mix between fast and flowy and slow and technical.

I guess my priority #1, now that I think about it, would be long day out comfort. I mostly ride alone and when I can I try to ride the full day hitting as many different trails/forests as my ass can handle. An I don't have a car anymore so I ride te road between them to get to each destination. (40 mile/65km days) and multiple days in a row at varying distances.

When I do ride with others it's either a group of fast XC riders or my slow friends that take a breather every 20 minutes

i also do some XC racing only for fun, not trying to win, just racing against myself and having fun. I have just signed up for a 12 hour race happening in May which I'll be riding my Spark at.

I am also a bit of a weight weenie and like my bikes to be sub 27lbs/12.3kg.

So my new question is which of these bikes would be the most comfortable to ride all day?
    Even my old Tallboy was very comfortable to ride all day, and an excellent bike to log miles on. I don't think the new one is any different in that regard, and its now slightly more capable.

I didn't see the list of other bikes, but I have experience with the Turner Czar, Yeti SB4.5, Yeti ASR (turq), Pivot 429 SL&Trail, Intense Primer, and Process 111 (owned one) along with the Norco Fluid and Niner Jet 9 RDO

The Turner Czar and the Yeti ASR are pretty close, but you're going to get a stouter frame and more sophisticated suspension with the Czar...compared to the current ASR.

The Yeti SB bikes are pretty amazing, but they do come at a premium price, and you can get a quite a bit more bike for the money otherwise. The Yeti SB bikes don't leave much left to be desired, and if I had the money, one of my dream bike builds is a Yeti SB5 Plus built as a 29er.

The Norco Fluid on paper is an interesting bike, but I really feel the Optic (which aligns to compete with the Tallboy directly) is a more balanced bike. You could add the Sight 29 into the conversation as a bigger bike option since you mentioned the Intense Primer...squarely competitors.

I have a mixed opinion about the Pivot 429. I have a friend that went through 3 frame warranties with the SL. He ended up selling the warranty and buying a Norco Revolver. I've ridden the Trail model, and its damn good. It feels like a stouter less nimble Ripley LS. That's the best way I could put it. I don't like the Pressfit, and the Ripley felt faster....and I also like the Blaze orange better as well.

The Kona Process is an interesting bike. It rides really plush for 111mm, but it feels beefy and chunky. Its not a fast accelerating bike. I would seat it closer to the The Following in terms of ride acumen and geometry...neither of which are fast accelerating bikes, but they do instill a boost of confidence.

I'd say, if you're relying on your bike as transportation, like I said about Santa Cruz's warranty and service, they really can't be beat. And at the prices that you can get the Tallboy Online at Competitive Cyclist...it would be at the top of my list.

The only one I didn't mention is the Jet 9 RDO. Very close to the Ripley, well-rounded, but who knows whats going on with Niner, they just filed Chapter 11 Bankruptcy.....
    Ibis Ripley LS
    Intense Spider 29 C
    Cervelo S2
    Trek Boone 5 Disc
    Spech Tricross Expert
    Raleigh RX 1.0

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dubdryver View Post
    Even my old Tallboy was very comfortable to ride all day, and an excellent bike to log miles on. I don't think the new one is any different in that regard, and its now slightly more capable.

The Turner Czar and the Yeti ASR are pretty close, but you're going to get a stouter frame and more sophisticated suspension with the Czar...compared to the current ASR

I'd say, if you're relying on your bike as transportation, like I said about Santa Cruz's warranty and service, they really can't be beat. And at the prices that you can get the Tallboy Online at Competitive Cyclist...it would be at the top of my list.
    I am very curious to see what the next gen Yeti ASR will be like.

The Tallboy makes the most sense for me considering I do have a couple local Santa Cruz dealers and like you say, life time warranty is hard to beat... but for some reason Iím attracted to the Ripley, canít wait to demo them both.

Trail Junkie
    I am very curious to see what the next gen Yeti ASR will be like.

The Tallboy makes the most sense for me considering I do have a couple local Santa Cruz dealers and like you say, life time warranty is hard to beat... but for some reason Iím attracted to the Ripley, canít wait to demo them both.
    I don't know anything about the next gen Yeti ASR.

I do know the Tallboy comes with a Rhythm fork which is a version of the Fox 34 which means for $130 more you can buy the MRP Ramp Control Cartridge which allows some interesting things to be done with your fork setup.
    https://www.mrpbike.com/rampcart/

What I am getting at is that you can setup your fork more preferably without having to keep your ending stroke/bottom out in mind. For most people, they have to run more PSI in their forks to keep from bottoming out, but that also effects the initial and midstroke performance.

Here is what Pink Bike says, I've ridden it, and I plan to get one for my Revelation fork, but my Ibis has a DVO, so no need. As far its usefulness or something you may be interested in, well that will all depend on if you actually use it...
    https://www.pinkbike.com/news/mrp-ra...view-2017.html
    Ibis Ripley LS
    Intense Spider 29 C
    Cervelo S2
    Trek Boone 5 Disc
    Spech Tricross Expert
    Raleigh RX 1.0

MRP ramp control cartridge does the exact opposite of what a good air spring should do.
    There is a reason that no major manufacture or pro rider uses one.
    I have a feeling that most people associate a fresh service on their fork with the increase in compliance from the the MRP cartridge.

A metered orifice in an air spring will give you high volume wallow on g outs and excessive brake dive with weak mid stroke support. At the same time it will give you small volume harshness on big hits and high frequency medium bumps.
    Trek does the opposite with it's reaktiv shocks. They have a small volume to large volume transition to give you all the same claims as MRP. The trek system gives you a very linear rate.
    Rant over.

Plenty of other systems like Ohlin's 3 chamber air spring and Fox's Evol work pretty damn good.

mtbr member

Santa Cruz is my choice!

Santa Cruz Tallboy + Chameleon combination wins my choice. (Turns out a multiple frame set purchase is the way to go)

I got to ride around on a Tallboy, Chameleon and a 5010 and they just fit nice 👍

I currently have 2 bikes I ride often, a Cube Reaction HT (mostly winter/bad weather) and Scott Spark FS (Summer/weekends), and love the option for 2 bikes which is all I have space for.

When the time comes to replace those 2 bikes the Tallboy/Chameleon combo just makes sense for these reasons:

1. Local Santa Cruz dealers (No Ibis dealers in the country)
    2. Lifetime frame warranty. (Already on my second carbon hardtail frame)
    3. Customer service (based on my research and the replies above it should be awesome)
    4. Versatility (having a set of 29er and 27.5+ wheelsets that can be swapped between bikes canít be beat) 👍
    5. Compatibility/Standards (Can swap any parts between bikes + transfer my current components over)

I have enough spare parts lying around I can build the Chameleon now but I need to have some restraint 😊

Thanks for all the great replies, now I just need to get out and ride what I got 👍

P.S. Iím still going to demo both bikes...
    Last edited by Hesher123; 12-24-2017 at 01:36 PM.

mtbr member
    MRP ramp control cartridge does the exact opposite of what a good air spring should do...
    I've been kinda saying that ever since I heard of it. There are air spring systems where there's a higher pressure chamber separated from the main chamber by a valve (e.g. DRCV) or a travel limited IFP (e.g MRD-IRT). Those can make sense, though whether the benefits outweigh the cost/complexity is a question.
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Having frames that can swap wheels and parts is great! Too bad Boost148 F-ed everything up. I love my hardtails, especially my SS bikes.
    Santa Cruz Tallboy + Chameleon combination wins my choice. (Turns out a multiple frame set purchase is the way to go)

I got to ride around on a Tallboy, Chameleon and a 5010 and they just fit nice 👍

I currently have 2 bikes I ride often, a Cube Reaction HT (mostly winter/bad weather) and Scott Spark FS (Summer/weekends), and love the option for 2 bikes which is all I have space for.

When the time comes to replace those 2 bikes the Tallboy/Chameleon combo just makes sense for these reasons:

1. Local Santa Cruz dealers (No Ibis dealers in the country)
    2. Lifetime frame warranty. (Already on my second carbon hardtail frame)
    3. Customer service (based on my research and the replies above it should be awesome)
    4. Versatility (having a set of 29er and 27.5+ wheelsets that can be swapped between bikes canít be beat) 👍
    5. Compatibility/Standards (Can swap any parts between bikes + transfer my current components over)

I have enough spare parts lying around I can build the Chameleon now but I need to have some restraint 😊

Thanks for all the great replies, now I just need to get out and ride what I got 👍

P.S. Iím still going to demo both bikes...
    [COLOR="Black"]HARDMTNBIKER on Instagram

Seven Sola SLX ENVE MTN SS
    Sir9 Carbon Niner SS
    #1gearallyear #Iridemtn

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hardmtnbiker View Post
    Having frames that can swap wheels and parts is great! Too bad Boost148 F-ed everything up. I love my hardtails, especially my SS bikes.
    I hear ya... I have two 29ers one with boost hubs and one without.

My plan is to accept that my current 17í Sparkís standards as my standard (except the-press fit BB), so with any future frame purchase all my components can be transferred.

It limits my bike options a little but I can accept that.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Gravel bikes still use 142x12. I may just build up a few of them. Or maybe some beach cruisers.
    I still don't think Boost148 is a benefit. The chain line argument isn't valid when your a 1x11 without a wider 83mm or 92mm BB. The wider drops do add room for 11speed but the 110 fork boost is meaningless.
    Just my point of view.

Sir9 Carbon Niner SS
    #1gearallyear #Iridemtn

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I like the fact that both frames have threaded B.B. and both use Fox Shox. Is the TB3 carbon CC worth the upgrade?

Sir9 Carbon Niner SS
    #1gearallyear #Iridemtn

Gravel bikes still use 142x12. I may just build up a few of them. Or maybe some beach cruisers.
    I still don't think Boost148 is a benefit. The chain line argument isn't valid when your a 1x11 without a wider 83mm or 92mm BB. The wider drops do add room for 11speed but the 110 fork boost is meaningless.
    Just my point of view.
    Boost allows for you to fit bigger tires with a shorter chain stay. It also helps to build a stronger 29er wheel. Front boost is much less beneficial unless you are running fat tires.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    I like the fact that both frames have threaded B.B. and both use Fox Shox. Is the TB3 carbon CC worth the upgrade?
    Yes really worth it. Love mine

Enviado desde mi SAMSUNG-SM-N910A mediante Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by regiobike View Post
    Yes really worth it. Love mine

Enviado desde mi SAMSUNG-SM-N910A mediante Tapatalk
    Wow that looks amazing, do you have room for 2.6" Nobby Nics?

Sir9 Carbon Niner SS
    #1gearallyear #Iridemtn

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I have the tallboy C. Love it. Not sure the CC could be better? Maybe the higher level shock (though the stock shock is fine for me... and generally I dislike fox shock behavior).

Oren

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member

2019 Stumpjumper???

When I started this thread I had narrowed my choice for my next build down to the Ibis Ripley LS and the SC Tallboy and said I would make the decision when I get back to California in Spring to demo both.

Later in this thread I wrote the Tallboy will be my choice after riding it.

Next week I go to California to demo the Ripley but now a new bike has been thrown into the mix, the 2019 Stumpjumper ticks off all of my strick requirements... and having previously owned a 2004 Stumpjumper this new bike is a strong possibility.

My only hold up, other than I haven't ridden either the Stumpy or Ripley yet, is the weight of the Stumpjumper.

My 2017 Spark's riding weight is 12.3kg (27lbs 3oz) with XTR pedals, sparetube, pump, multitool, chain breaker, Garmin mount and Exposure light mount. (All this would fit in the SWAT box on the SJ out of site, I like that idea)

If I get the Stumpjumper I would buy the Comp Carbon standard version and move over most of my parts from my Spark and then at some point buy the 130mm fork/120mm shock + yoke needed to switch the Stumpjumper from a long travel to a short travel trail bike as needed. (I love the options and versitilty of the new SJ).

Is it going to be possible to build a short travel Stumpjumper that can get close to the weight of my Spark? (I think it would be the same with the Ripley aswell) ... any thoughts on how the new Stumpjumper compares to the Tallboy and Ripley?

PS: In case you wonder why I want to move away from a new Scott Spark... Here are my reasons:
    1. Pressfit BB matched to a 30mm spindle crankset, I want... need... a threaded BB again.
    2. Twinloc, even though I replaced it with the FOX CTD lever the mess of cables and adjustments to get it perfect is more then annoying.
    3. Cable routing, where the trunnion shock mounts to the frame is where all the cables including the dropper cable all come together and it's a nightmare to replace anything down there. (The Stumpjumper looks to have the nicest internal cable routing of any bike)
    4. I would like to have the option of running wider tires, Spark is limited to 2.4 (Again here is where the new stumpy has a big advantage)

You may be able to tell from all my italicised comments that I am leaning heavily towards the Stumpjumper
    Last edited by Hesher123; 05-16-2018 at 01:00 AM. Reason: Added PS
    - Race Face Next Cranks
    - Chris King BB
    - ODI Rouge Grips

Trail Junkie

Santa Cruz Tallboy v3 vs Ibis Ripley LS v3 (Long Post)(Long Response)

I cannot speak for the new Stumpy since I have not rode it, but I can speak to for the Ripley LS having been on it for more than a year and half now.

If you don't like low bottom brackets, you're probably not going to like the Ripley much. However it is part of the charm of the bike. When you don't have pedal strikes, the geometry is simply amazing. Its a point and shoot, mow, or flick around geometry that is in harmony with a suspension that just works amazing. From that perspective, and me running a 140 fork on my LS with the way the suspension works. I can't see swapping a part to reduce or increase the travel. It simply doesn't need it. I could see where someone may like it, but a great bike with a great suspension is going to be just as efficient in a high or low travel setting. That really sounds like a marketing trick to me because when you change the travel, the shock rate and leverage ratio should change with it. There are three phases in a shock compression: Initial, midstroke, and the ramp-up (end stroke). All of those have specific valving, and if you reduce the travel or change the leverage ratio, its going to upset (speed up/slow down) one of those circuits. Which means the shock isn't going to be operating as designed. You can't just reduce the midstroke by changing a suspension link. It has to be done internally with bands or changing the tune.

Speaking of suspension, the boring old FSR Horst link on the Stumpy cannot compare to the DW Link on the Ripley. I don't care how many iterations they go through and custom tune shocks they employ. It still has a mechanical disadvantage to the DW Link. I've been on too many Horst Links, new and old. Its just a dated design masked by a shock and tune. Now I will say that my LS v1 isn't perfect, but that's from a maintenance perspective. The LS v2 fixed nearly all the things I didn't like on the v1 and it's less fussy with dirt.

You stated that you're going to migrate all the parts over from your Scott to the Stumpy. I don't know what that entails in terms of part spec. Off the back, the crankset may not be compatible. The Traverse 28H wheels are garbage, but the rest of the bike is decent. Out of the box with the GX Eagle, the Ripley is a better bike with a better fork among other things, It shouldn't be compared to the regular Stumpy since its really in a different class which from that I see your point about the stumpy and switching yokes. The problem is going to be with the fork. The Stumpy ST comes with a 130 fork. The reg. Stumpy comes with a 150. I'd say if you had a chance, you should ride the Ripmo against the reg. Stumpy and the ST vs the LS. Its more of an apples to apples comparison.

Personally, I don't like Specialized (except for their tires). Their slogan is "Innovate or Die" where they've only caught up to the competition. They have SWAT, but there are so many solutions out there, its really not a big deal. They really haven't done anything special. With a new bike comes tons more marketing shoved down our throats. Its probably a decent bike but given the geometry, the suspension, and the components, I don't think you'll find anything that stands out. To the point where if you're really interested in this bike, the YT and the Sight should really be on your list as well. If this bike intrigues you because their marketing says that it will be the ultimate quiver-killer. I say don't believe the hype. Geometry effects everything, and what their telling you is marketing.

I'd say the only concern about owning an Ibis would be that their sizing is not in line with other brands. You'll likely want to size up.

Outside of that, If it were me. I'd have to put the Ripley LS above the Tallboy and Stumpy ST. I haven't rode the Ripmo, but I'd have to put it at the same or above the Hightower and I'd put both of those above the Stumpy. Overall the best value for me would be the Hightower. The Santa Cruz warranty is the best in the biz, and their customer service is second to none. They are the best brand in my opinion. Had they offered a 140/120 frame (I consider the sweet spot for 29ers), I'd own a Santa Cruz.
    Ibis Ripley LS
    Intense Spider 29 C
    Cervelo S2
    Trek Boone 5 Disc
    Spech Tricross Expert
    Raleigh RX 1.0

mtbr member
    First thank you for the reply, always lots of information. I'll follow up on some of your points with my views

If you don't like low bottom brackets, you're probably not going to like the Ripley much.
    I am not a fan of such a low BB but compared to my Spark's 327mm the Ripley's 330mm, Tallboy's 330mm and Stumpy STs 333mm are all higher. I switched from 175mm cranks to 170mm cranks and have to run my shock a little firmer or use the middle setting to help alleviate pedals strikes on my Spark.

Speaking of suspension, the boring old FSR Horst link on the Stumpy cannot compare to the DW Link on the Ripley.
    DW Link, VPP, FSR I know they all have pros and cons but I havn't ridden a DW link ever and only tried the VPP a couple short rides but have owned FSR and yes that was on a Stumpy 15 years ago ... LoL
    I think it's going to come down to how I feel on the bike. Not sure if am skilled enough to know/feel the differance.

You stated that you're going to migrate all the parts over from your Scott to the Stumpy. I don't know what that entails in terms of part spec. Off the back, the crankset may not be compatible. The Traverse 28H wheels are garbage, but the rest of the bike is decent.
    I'm moving over my Next SL crankset using a Chris King BB, my wheels are brand new DTSwiss XRC 1200 Carbon (I may pick up a set of XMC1200 later), XTR Shifter, mech and rotors, SRAM X01 Cassette... I am not a fan of SRAM or Eagle 12 spd, I very happy with Shimano XTR 1x11 and sticking with that

I'd say if you had a chance, you should ride the Ripmo against the reg. Stumpy and the ST vs the LS. Its more of an apples to apples comparison.
    That's true but the Stumpjumper regular and ST share the same frame, so I can easily convert it to a LT for the few times a year and I am riding where it's needed, I can't include the Ripmo becuase it's too much bike all the time.

If this bike intrigues you because their marketing says that it will be the ultimate quiver-killer. I say don't believe the hype. Geometry effects everything, and what their telling you is marketing.
    The Stumpjumper is not on my list because of marketing, it's on my list because it hits all the marks in my requirements, which is the reason the Ripley and Tallboy are are on aswell.

I can't wait till get on both bikes and see how they feel

Again, thank you for the detailed response. I have been pondering/researching this purchase for a while and I am taking in everything I can to make the right choice, for me.

EDIT: Just so I am clear, I am mostly comparing the 2019 Stumpjumper ST to these bikes but if I decide to go with Specialized i will buy the regular Stumpjumper Comp Carbon (Black/green) and later swap the fork, shock and yoke to make it an ST and have the extra parts to make it an LT if needed.
    - Race Face Next Cranks
    - Chris King BB
    - ODI Rouge Grips

mtbr member

All day comfort?

I have a new question and would like opinions.

I ride every single day and the longer the ride the better. What should I be looking for to find out which of these three bikes (Ripley, Stumpy & Tallboy) will give me the best all day comfort. (Aside from riding them each all day).

How does geometry and suspension type (DW Link vs FSR vs VPP) play into that?
    - Race Face Next Cranks
    - Chris King BB
    - ODI Rouge Grips

Trail Junkie
    I think all the reasons you have to validate the Stumpy are valid. In the end, it depends on the terrain you ride and your style of riding. For me, the TB was too "XC'ish", and when I bought the original TB, I found the limits of the 100mm of travel fairly quickly. I also owned an Intense Spider C which was adjustable 130/115. I never put it in 115 but the bike felt really long.....not nimble at all. The RLS for me hit that mark where it was extremely quick and nimble, but also as capable as my the Spider.

I believe where you'll see the biggest difference with the DW Link is climbing. It kind "hovers" up technical trails. What I've found with FSR'ers is they'll pedal well but you'll intermittedly lose traction base on the you have on the rear wheel which causes the tire to grip and slip, and then with the link back by the axle, there tends to be so sway or deflection on off camber bits. On VPP, people say they feel a "back lash" sensation where the chain tension is caused by the suspension is actually pulling back on the chain ring. in my experience, having ridden VPP since '03. There is some truth in it, but its over exaggerated. However, I still believe the DW-Link, and even in the realm of DW's, the eccentric setup found on the Ripley is something special. In the OG and the v1 LS, I believe there's stiffness problems, but not on the v2 LS.

The one thing that I absolutely love about the Ripley, and some people may have a different view is the 73deg seat tube angle. I don't know why everyone wants to push to 74 or 75 or higher. 73deg feels right to me. I can correctly load the back of the bike. Its more natural to leverage the back to manual the front which really helps with step ups and other technical aspects, and I don't feel like my feet are pedaling behind my seat. Also on longer rides, the more relaxed position with a 73deg STA is more comfortable.
    Ibis Ripley LS
    Intense Spider 29 C
    Cervelo S2
    Trek Boone 5 Disc
    Spech Tricross Expert
    Raleigh RX 1.0

mtbr member
    So I ended up buying the new Specialized Stumpjumper.

It ticked all the boxes and was almost $2000 less than the Ibis Ripley LS. Plus lots of local support which Ibis just doesnít have in Danmark. I think Santa Cruz would have been my second choice.

Both the Tallboy and Ripley are great bikes and slightly lighter weight than the new Stumpjumper but the price, comfort and versatility of the SJ won me over.

I got the long travel version but it can easily be made a short travel with a different shock yoke and shock. With the flip chip and ability to run 29er tires up to 2.8 and 27.5 plus up to 3.0 adds to the versatility.

I spent a couple days riding my new bike at Skypark and Snow Summit in SoCal and it handled everything perfectly. My girlfriend demoed the new Stumpy ST at Skypark and loved the way it felt too. (She demoed a Giant Trance, Trek Fuel and a Juliana Joplin as well)

Now I am back home in Danmark and have already got one 23 mile (37km) ride on my local trails and even with the extra weight and travel it feeels great. Have another ride planned for today.

Iím looking forward to moving over my carbon wheels and cranks from my Scott Spark to lighten it up a bit.

Thank you all for the input
    - Race Face Next Cranks
    - Chris King BB
    - ODI Rouge Grips

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Congratulations on the new bike.

Not to pick on you, but it's interesting how many of the "non-negotiable" requirements your new bike doesn't meet.

1. 110 to 120 rear travel NOPE
    2. 120 to 130 front travel NOPE
    3. 29er Wheels YEP
    4. Boost spacing YEP
    5. Threaded bottom bracket YEP
    6. 31.6 Seatpost NOPE
    7. Must be able hold a large water bottle in the triangle YEP
    8. Head Angle between 67į & 68į NOPE
    9. Full Carbon Frame YEP
    10. Available as a frame only option YEP

So, you hit about 60% of your criteria, and not even the big ones. Again, congratulations, not meaning to pick on you. And yes, I know that your long term plans are to essentially convert it to the ST version, which will get you up to 90% of your original criteria.

Elitest thrill junkie
    I would think the bike would be fun on vacation, but that's a lot of travel to be lugging around on not-the-most-efficient-bike. Enjoy. Take it to the Alps!
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by savechief View Post
    Congratulations on the new bike.

Not to pick on you, but it's interesting how many of the "non-negotiable" requirements your new bike doesn't meet.

1. 110 to 120 rear travel NOPE
    2. 120 to 130 front travel NOPE
    3. 29er Wheels YEP
    4. Boost spacing YEP
    5. Threaded bottom bracket YEP
    6. 31.6 Seatpost NOPE
    7. Must be able hold a large water bottle in the triangle YEP
    8. Head Angle between 67į & 68į NOPE
    9. Full Carbon Frame YEP
    10. Available as a frame only option YEP

So, you hit about 60% of your criteria, and not even the big ones. Again, congratulations, not meaning to pick on you. And yes, I know that your long term plans are to essentially convert it to the ST version, which will get you up to 90% of your original criteria.
    If the ST version would have came in the black and green I would have bought it in that format but Iím kind of glad i didnít.

Actually the only compromise (and least important on my list) was the 31.6 seat post.

The most important items on my list I will admit were:
    3. 29er Wheels (invested too much & fit me better than 27.5)
    4. Boost spacing (see above)
    5. Threaded bottom bracket (Iíve had it with pressfit)
    7. Must be able hold a large water bottle in the triangle (I hardly wear a backpack)

Bonus items not on list that further convinced me to go SJ:
    1. Saved a ton of cash
    2. SWAT Box
    3. Comfort, Fits me perfect
    4. Versatility
    5. Seriously, next to the competition it just looks awesome

(Looks are important to me)

Like you mentioned the same frame can use be used to make the ST version, so when I buy the new yoke, fork and shock it will be 120mm rear and 130mm front which also changes the head angle which can also be changed using the flip chip which I ride in high so it actually already meets that criteria even with the current LT setup.

Truth be told I kind of like the extra travel on my home trails so far. After I have a few weeks on it and before I move over my carbon wheels and cranks Iím going to take my Scott Spark out for some rides to see how much of thst extra weight and travel really matters to me :-)

I tried out a lot of different bikes since I started this thread last year and this bike and I clicked. :-)

Iím not sure why so many hate on Specialized. I bought a Rock Hopper in 1989 and loved it and a Stumpjumper FSR in 2004 and loved it... In my opinion they make solid bikes

And thanks for the congrats :-)

EDIT: I should be forth coming now and let you know the reason I said my list was ďnon-negotiableĒ and I listed so many bikes that didnít meet my standard was to keep the focus on the 2 bikes I was looking into.

I have seen so many people ask for opinions and advice on something specific only to be hammered with suggestions outside the scope of thier questions. I think it worked 🤔
    Last edited by Hesher123; 06-14-2018 at 10:53 PM.
    - Race Face Next Cranks
    - Chris King BB
    - ODI Rouge Grips

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    I would think the bike would be fun on vacation, but that's a lot of travel to be lugging around on not-the-most-efficient-bike. Enjoy. Take it to the Alps!
    Actually planning a trip to VallŚsen Bike Park (Sweden) soon, the Alps will have to wait 👍
    - Race Face Next Cranks
    - Chris King BB
    - ODI Rouge Grips

mtbr member

Final Update on this thread...

This will be my final update on this thread.

As of today I have now ridden my new Stumpy 250 miles (400km) and I can not find any fault with it, not even in the LT configuration.

I am so happy with this purchase I went ahead sold my other bikes and spares

I've ridden it in Southern California (Skypark Bike Park & Snow Summit Bike Park) and on my home trails here in Danmark. It's also my daily commuter, I have trails between my home and office.

I have no plans to switch this bike to the ST version, I do not feel the weight penalty at all and this bike is so much more comfortable than my Scott Spark for all day riding <--- very important for me!

Our trail systems here may not have mountains but we try to build in fun and challenging features and this bike, with it's longer travel and relaxed geometry, has pushed me to try features that I normally would pass up. I'm hiting bigger drops, clearing doubles and confident enough to send it on gap jumps that I never considered before.

I do not notice the weight penalty at all and most of that weight came from the OEM wheels/tires/tubes, after I put on my carbon & tubeless hoops the weight dropped considerably.

My 17' Scott Spark was 26lbs 3oz (11.87kg) (with XTR Race pedals (no tools/spares) and the Stumpy is 28lbs 3oz (12.79kg) with XT Trail pedals (Empty SWAT Box). I still have to swap over to my RF Next cranks and XTR bits so I am sure in the end the Stumpjumper will only be slightly over a pound heavier:

2017 Scott Spark (https://www.youtube.com/watch?sns=em...9s&app=desktop):
    Santa Cruz Tallboy v3 vs Ibis Ripley LS v3 (Long Post)-spark_empty_lbs.jpg

2019 Stumpjumper Carbon Comp:
    Santa Cruz Tallboy v3 vs Ibis Ripley LS v3 (Long Post)-stumpy_empty-dt-wheels_lbs.jpg

EDIT: Installed the RF Next cranks & XTR Race pedals, now the weight is 27lbs 6oz (12.4kg)

Santa Cruz Tallboy v3 vs Ibis Ripley LS v3 (Long Post)-63a2bfa7-2c67-495b-9c88-20d1e6ab64fc.jpg

I know most people could care less about the SWAT box but I am ruined, I don't think I can own another bike without it... I love a clean looking bike and I can fit all my shit in there and it's all out of sight and the extra weight is low on the bike... genius!

I have only ridden it in the high setting but I have had no pedal strikes... with my Spark I really had to change my riding style and still smashed my pedals all the time... I will switch to the low position next month when we head to VallŚsen Bike Park in Sweden.

So that's that and I am happy with my purchase... feel free to comment or ask question otherwise I will let this thread die

... and here she is:

Santa Cruz Tallboy v3 vs Ibis Ripley LS v3 (Long Post)-img_3695-2-.jpg

Santa Cruz Tallboy v3 vs Ibis Ripley LS v3 (Long Post)-img_3057.jpg

Santa Cruz Tallboy v3 vs Ibis Ripley LS v3 (Long Post)-img_3055.jpg

Santa Cruz Tallboy v3 vs Ibis Ripley LS v3 (Long Post)-fc1f3fc8-8c6c-4215-95c6-674713feddc2.jpg

... and this is the Scott Spark she replaced:

Santa Cruz Tallboy v3 vs Ibis Ripley LS v3 (Long Post)-img_2377.jpg
    Last edited by Hesher123; 06-27-2018 at 07:50 AM.
    - Race Face Next Cranks
    - Chris King BB
    - ODI Rouge Grips

o27
    mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Where in DK are you located? I'm from Aarhus and are currently running a Cannondale Habit Carbon 2 but are also looking into the 2018/19 Stumpy and TB3 as I feel the need to go back to 29" - have been a bit reluctant on Stumpy as I'm hesitant to go above 120mm travel for the DK trails

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by o27 View Post
    Where in DK are you located? I'm from Aarhus and are currently running a Cannondale Habit Carbon 2 but are also looking into the 2018/19 Stumpy and TB3 as I feel the need to go back to 29" - have been a bit reluctant on Stumpy as I'm hesitant to go above 120mm travel for the DK trails
    I live near Hareskov (KBH) and also thought anything more than 120mm would be too much but after riding the new 2019 Stumpjumper Iím totally happy with it Iím actually faster on it than my 120mm 2017 Spark; maybe because the Stumpjumper might fit me better and is more comfortable to me.

Also, just so you know the 2019 Stumpjumper is totally different than the 2018 version and the 2019 comes in a 120mm ďSTĒ version.

Try to ride both if you can 
    - Race Face Next Cranks
    - Chris King BB
    - ODI Rouge Grips