Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Santa Cruz Tallboy LTc or Specialized Enduro 29er Elite Carbon

I am looking at buying a bike here in the next couple of weeks. I live in Salt lake city and do a lot of riding around park city and around the Wasach area. I havent actually ever rode the lifts and just bombed down the hills, but instead climb to the top and then ride down. The downhill is what i am really interested in, but the climbing is good for fitness.

Has anyone actually ridden both of these bikes and which bike is the better all mountain bike that comes down eel, but also climbs ok too?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I've ridden neither, but I would guess from reviews and research, you would be lead to believe the Tallboy LTC is a better climber thatn the Enduro based on pure physics. However, I'd think the Enduro is gonna bomb better. I'm pretty sure that these two bikes are a bit different in ride characteristics and would assume that the Stumpy Evo might be a closer match to the LTC? Hopefully you get some good feedback from some folks who have ridden both.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Wow, comparing an Enduro with 16.9" chain stays 67.5 HTA to a Tallboy LTc with 17.9" and 69.5 HTA. Honestly, you need to demo both they are pretty different.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I guess the real question that I have in my mind is, how well does the endure actually climb? I know that the manufacturer reviews say that it will "get you higher than ever before" etc, but am I just going to have to work a little harder than my friends on SC blurs and Bronsons or are they just going to leave me for dead on the uphills? (obv assuming that I have a similar level of fitness etc). I would love to Demo the Enduro, but nobody here in SLC has the 29 in a demo available. Actually, I was told yesterday that they wouldn't even be receiving the alloy version until late August.

MTB B'dos
    My question to you is...How soon do you want to be out riding this new bike? If it is in a few weeks I don't think the Enduro is in the running since I think they're all pretty much sold and back-ordered.

Know you only mention these 2 bikes, but honestly try to test out as many as you can get your hands on before you make your decision, as numbers don't always tell the whole story.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    My question to you is...How soon do you want to be out riding this new bike? If it is in a few weeks I don't think the Enduro is in the running since I think they're all pretty much sold and back-ordered.

Know you only mention these 2 bikes, but honestly try to test out as many as you can get your hands on before you make your decision, as numbers don't always tell the whole story.
    This.

Also try a Rip9 RDO, It's a very good climber & very good on the downs as well.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Thanks guys,

I will have a look at the vids.

Moderator Moderator
    Jan 2004
    What bike are you coming from? I'm a fellow Wasatch-fronter and probably ride a lot of the same trails (ie Jeremy Ranch, Midmountain area stuff, Shoreline, East Canyon, etc) and IMO there is not much terrain here that is going to be all that fun on a longer travel bike. I'd look at a 4 or 5" bike instead, but that's just me. Both the LTC and the Enduro will be crazy overkill for most of the trails in the Wasatch, unless you're taking the lift or really looking hard for techy stuff.

Just my opinion, though. If I had to pick one of those bikes I'd go with the Enduro and be willing to wait for it. But I like short stays a lot.

-Walt
    Waltworks Custom Bicycles
    Park City, UT USA
    www.waltworks.com
    waltworks.blogspot.com

Trail Junkie
    I think Walt brings up a very valid point of "What are you coming from?" When he says "not all that fun on a longer bike"...if it's overkill you're going to work a lot harder regardless simply because of the slower geometry (not as efficient)... If the terrain calls for less than 140mm. Maybe look at the Divinchi Atlas...pretty lightweight, 110mm travel (put a 120mm upfront) and 16.9" chainstays (what Walt likes). I haven't been out to SLC, but from what I heard is that a lot of the riding you'll be doing is like Sedona which I rocked on my Tallboy...only wishing for a lil bit more rear travel a few times. I demo'd the Atlas aluminum and now there is a carbon..if I replaced my Tallboy, it would most likely be with that...I too love short CS.
    Santa Cruz Tallboy c
    Lynskey Pro29 SS
    Cervelo S2
    Spech Tricross Expert
    Misfit diSSent

Fut. Bikes:
    Banshee Phantom

GMM
    mtbr member
    The LTc is probably a much more efficient climber than you would guess. I demo'd one in the Sierra Mountains in northern California. I rode 27 miles and climbed about 3, 500 ft. The bike just motored. Downhill it was just a blast. I wouldn't need more. That said, the Enduro is surely an incredible descender, but I have no firsthand experience.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by dubdryver View Post
    I think Walt brings up a very valid point of "What are you coming from?" When he says "not all that fun on a longer bike"...if it's overkill you're going to work a lot harder regardless simply because of the slower geometry (not as efficient)... If the terrain calls for less than 140mm. Maybe look at the Divinchi Atlas...pretty lightweight, 110mm travel (put a 120mm upfront) and 16.9" chainstays (what Walt likes). I haven't been out to SLC, but from what I heard is that a lot of the riding you'll be doing is like Sedona which I rocked on my Tallboy...only wishing for a lil bit more rear travel a few times. I demo'd the Atlas aluminum and now there is a carbon..if I replaced my Tallboy, it would most likely be with that...I too love short CS.
    Not to hijack the thread, but what did you think of thier Atlas compared to the TB? I love my TB but sometimes wish for a little more travel. I was considering an Atlas until the new Horsethief was announced. Since they are the same suspension design I'd be interested in hearing what you liked didn't like compared about the split pivot compared to the VPP of the TB.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

Moderator Moderator
    Jan 2004
    I have only ridden a little in Sedona but the Wasatch is not especially technical if you are riding the popular trails. There are rides that I do that almost require a DH bike but almost NOBODY does them because you can't shuttle them - so it's ride up, ride down, and nobody really wants to ride up a 20% grade for an hour (or, ok, walk up) to get to a 6 minute DH run.

99% of the riding here is probably most suited to a 4" travel XC bike. It's rough enough that most people will prefer full suspension but it's not by any means technical as a general rule.

That said, some people like to have 6" of travel to roll over 4" drops, and if that's your thing, more power to you. I see plenty of people out on the trails here with "more bike" than they arguably need and I bet they're having plenty of fun.

-Walt
    Waltworks Custom Bicycles
    Park City, UT USA
    www.waltworks.com
    waltworks.blogspot.com

bog
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by The Green Cathedral View Post
    I am looking at buying a bike here in the next couple of weeks. I live in Salt lake city and do a lot of riding around park city and around the Wasach area. I havent actually ever rode the lifts and just bombed down the hills, but instead climb to the top and then ride down. The downhill is what i am really interested in, but the climbing is good for fitness.

Has anyone actually ridden both of these bikes and which bike is the better all mountain bike that comes down eel, but also climbs ok too?

Thanks
    If you're considering a TB LTc you should also take a look at the Stumpjumper FSR 29 or the Stump FSR 29 EVO. These are in the same category as the LTc while the Enduro really isn't. They will climb better than the Enduro and likely give you everything you want on the DHs.
    SC Tallboy C : SC Nomad 3 : Giant TCX SLR : Giant Propel Adv SL

MTBR member
    Jan 2007
    I'm also in Northern Utah (Ogden) and am considering the LTc. I'm on a 05 Truth and ride mostly XC, but like to catch some air too. My Truth is unstable on the downhills (steep headtube angle), but climbs very well. I'm leaning towards a long travel 29er. I rode a Rip 9 RDO recently and it rode quite well (up and down). I agree that there are many folks on bikes that have too much suspension (all mountain, freeride, downhill), but I disagree that the long travel trail bikes are too much for the Wasatch. Best of luck!

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by wookie View Post
    I'm also in Northern Utah (Ogden) and am considering the LTc. I'm on a 05 Truth and ride mostly XC, but like to catch some air too. My Truth is unstable on the downhills (steep headtube angle), but climbs very well. I'm leaning towards a long travel 29er. I rode a Rip 9 RDO recently and it rode quite well (up and down). I agree that there are many folks on bikes that have too much suspension (all mountain, freeride, downhill), but I disagree that the long travel trail bikes are too much for the Wasatch. Best of luck!
    What about the Rip 9 RDO left you longing for more?

Demon Cleaner
    I was in this quandary too until recently. Bought the LTc. Both bikes are going to be super sweet. The Enduro was just too downhill oriented for me. The Tallboy LTc just hits a sweet spot for my type of riding.

It doesn't hurt that one can actually throw a leg over a Tallboy LT and find some selection in them. The Enduro is still like hen's teeth. Much spoken about, seldom seen. Once Specialized catches up with demand in a year it'll be an interesting comparison, but then there will be other options too.

Also worth thinking about is that a Tallboy LTc kitted out as a real trail bike (dropper, carbon bars, XT) runs under $6k. The Enduro Expert lists at $6600 and I wouldn't expect any breaks on that price any time soon. I think the lower priced LTc has better components for less.

That's my reasoning though. I can see it breaking the other way too. The Enduro looks SUPER sweet!
    Bicycling is politics by other means.

MTBR member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin+M View Post
    What about the Rip 9 RDO left you longing for more?
    Nothing actually! It's on my list of possible purchases. I liked the carbon, the xx1, and the wide bars grew on me. I'm keeping an open mind. I'd like a long travel 29er, a custom hard tail 29er, and a 27.5 all-mountain. However, I can only afford one bike right now :-)

Keep on Rockin...
    Easy...

I own a TBLTc and a Stumpy FSR 29er. The Stumpy has had a 275 out back for about a year. It's slacked out the bike up front and lowered the BB a bit which I really like. (Spec bike already have low BBs, but i find nothing corners like a low BB.). The Enduro, I think I can safely say, will be even more like the Stumpy compared to the LTc.

Both are awesome bikes. The Stumpy is definitely a better descender. The angles are better (how i have it set up) and the suspension feels nicer on the downhills. It climbs tech great, in the "trail" mode, but it is slow on the climbs. The Enduro should be more of the same, especially on the downhills.

The LTc is very fast all around but not as confidence inspiring on the descents. To me its a great all around, fast trail bike. Like a very fast, long travel, xc bike. It is the bike to take if you are on a competitive, fast, group ride on rough trails. If I had to pick one bike right now this would likely be it.

On paper, I would not even put the LTc and the Enduro in the same class of bike. They are quite different, each with its area of strength.

I am looking at an Enduro for next year, as that will be year number 4, for the Stumpy. With an LTc and an Enduro, I'll have all my terrain covered with the right bikes.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Santa Cruz Tallboy LTc or Specialized Enduro 29er Elite Carbon

Out of curiosity, have you ridden the Yeti SB95? Last year I rode the aluminum version and recently transitioned to the carbon. I've got the Talas fork and also added carbon wheels and I must say it's the best bike I've ridden.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by bog View Post
    If you're considering a TB LTc you should also take a look at the Stumpjumper FSR 29 or the Stump FSR 29 EVO. These are in the same category as the LTc while the Enduro really isn't. They will climb better than the Enduro and likely give you everything you want on the DHs.
    I'm getting a 29er Enduro (supposedly coming next week!), but the 29er SJ Evo doesn't get enough credit. For most riders, this would be around 80-90% of the bike the enduro is, and put a 150mm fork on it and you close the gap even more. It has 135mm rear travel and is simply made to rip. It will jump and launch, it will take some good all-mountain riding, and if you are considering the LTc, this is the equivalent bike that you need to think about. I demoed one to get an idea of the enduro, because it had the same wheels and was slightly steeper/less travel, but you drop that saddle with the command post on the Evo and it's a ripping machine downhill.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Elitest thrill junkie
    My personal plan is to get my 29er SE Enduro, put some light parts on it like a 1x10 setup with light cranks and do my usual lighter saddle, handlebar and cassette, and I should end up with something that's a few lbs lighter than stock (not to mention going tubeless which would cut another lb or so). So I'll end up with a 29.5lb or so enduro which will be plenty light for me to ride all day and keep up on rides, yet kill it downhill at the resort. Of course there's a tradeoff, but for the super-XC stuff I'll ride my hardtail. I think the enduro will have enough versatility to fill the gap between full on DH stuff and trail/xc riding most of the time.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    One bike only, where you live and ride? Get something with 120 mm at both ends. Do it all really well.
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I have owned an TBLTc for a year now and I find it climbs very well. I have ridden it at Park City and the lift served trails at Deer Valley and I think it performs extremely well on these trails, its a very good single quiver bike IMO. I did a brief ride on the Specialized Enduro and was impressed, it pedaled well and the steering wasn't too raked out, but it is a bigger feeling bike than the LTc. I think the Specialized would be major overkill at Park City. If you want killer climbing on a 29 I would try a Yeti-95c. I found it very efficient up and a bit more racy than my LTc.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GMM View Post
    The LTc is probably a much more efficient climber than you would guess. I demo'd one in the Sierra Mountains in northern California. I rode 27 miles and climbed about 3, 500 ft. The bike just motored. Downhill it was just a blast. I wouldn't need more. That said, the Enduro is surely an incredible descender, but I have no firsthand experience.
    I have climbed 110kft (elevation gain) so far this year on my TB LTc. It is very efficient. It will be no problem to keep up with your buddies on Bronson's and Blurs. The same is true for descents. Although a Bronson will have a modest edge on the roughest of rough trails.

One note. While the bike is an efficient climber it is a bit slower than the regular Tallboy (I ride my wife's from time to time).

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    You should contact go ride in slc and demo a yeti sb95 I did and rode park city and it was great up and down

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast