Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by wgerow View Post
    Realize this is an old thread, bumping it back up. Without much hassle Santa Cruz provided me with a new rear swing arm, no charge. Very nice.
    Still loving this bike.
    Late last summer I had a RP23 on the bike for a little while (long story) as my RL was out of commission. I found the RP23 with propedal made a huge difference in pedal bob and efficiency. I am in search of an RP23 for this bike; I think this is a worthy upgrade on this single pivot ride....not convinced on the new CTD stuff.
    Has anyone else made the switch? Boost valve or no? What kind of tune did the shock have fore rebound, velocity, etc??
    I built an SL29 with the 120mm CTD fork and a CTD shock. I have been very happy with it so far. The 120mm fork can start to wander on the really steep climbs, but I think that is more a matter of me learning how to ride with suspension again. I only have about 60 miles on the bike, but got in a 2500' climb yesterday and am Santa Cruz Superlight 29 One Month Review-sl-29.jpgloving it so far.

trail stalker
    Jul 2012

Superlight love after 1 season!

Santa Cruz Superlight 29 One Month Review-bike.jpg

Here's my 2014 SC Superlight 29...and I love it!
    I come from the world of Cannondale single pivot, and last year I made the switch from my 650b'd Cannondale Rush to my SL29. I was having issues with pedal kickback on my conversion and was reading that it is sometimes a byproduct, so I decided to try 29ers again. It had been since 08 that I gave them a gander.

Im 120 Fox CTD in the front and CTD also in the rear. My question is for the guys running 100mm, how is the traction when going up? And do you use all of your travel on the way down? Im 200lbs, rarely use most of my front travel (regularly use most of my rear) and have issues with either the front lifting on me, or lack of traction on steep ups from having to lean so far forward to keep the front down. So, Ive been debating going 100mm all the way around. Any input is appreciated!!!

rdb
    mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I have a D build SL 29er with the 100 mm fork and I changed it to 120 mm and actually prefer it. I always felt the bike was a little sketchy on the downs at 100 mm. The front is a little lighter while climbing, but I could climb everything I could climb before. You may be running the rear shock a little soft. The rear suspension will have a tendency to compress just by the angle of the hill, more weight on the back. This slackens the head angle. You could get off the bike before the climb to unweight the rear and then put the rear shock in climb mode and then try the climb, this will leave the shock fully extended. Or bring a shock pump with you and add some air pressure. I actually leave my shock in descend mode all the time, even when climbing. Are you running tubeless? If you have been riding since 08 you probably have tried all this already.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I have the sl29 2012 r kit , 100mm reba
    I use all the travel on both front and rear
    Ride in Florida so I don't think I need more
    Thought about trying 120 but fingered it will
    Just make it slower

Magically Delicious
    Perhaps drop a little pressure on the front end and do a little trail and error on the same climbs?
    A bad day of cycling is better than a good day at work

Work Truck - Dassault Falcon 7X

trail stalker
    Jul 2012
    Okay, sorry about delay been a little busy with kids . I thought about some of that. I am not tubeless and have been putting it off but it may be time. After looking at some of your pics I may try flipping my stem to see if that will help. I used to experiment with that with my 26ers. I think tubeless would help as I could run a lower pressure. I tried 100 and 120 on the Rush. With my SL29 I went 120 after riding both. I like having the 120 in the front as I do like getting froggy with jumps and features from time to time. I REALLY like how it handles. Very minimal change from my 650b'd Rush, more speed and a tiny less corner carve. When I say tiny its is so small of a change that its a no issue. I may try a 0 degree stem also, I think my Truvativ is +/- 6*.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4