Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    well 1st off let me say that this is the 2nd cane creek headset i've had issues with, the 1st one was one my blurlt when i got that in '09 blew apart in like 3 mos., replaced it with a king hs, , this one one the SL29er never seemed to adjust right if set up to turn smoothly you could feel a movement in headset when braking, tighten it up to eliminate movement and steering was too stiff, as with the blur lt replaced it with a king and all problems were gone, matbe it's all the plastic parts Cane Creek uses in their headset

mtbr member
    Damn, sorry you've had such bad luck with CC. I've got pretty much the same CC headset on all three of my SC bikes and haven't had any issues, and the 29er gets beat pretty hard. I'll keep an eye on them.

Quote Originally Posted by slowdave View Post
    well 1st off let me say that this is the 2nd cane creek headset i've had issues with, the 1st one was one my blurlt when i got that in '09 blew apart in like 3 mos., replaced it with a king hs, , this one one the SL29er never seemed to adjust right if set up to turn smoothly you could feel a movement in headset when braking, tighten it up to eliminate movement and steering was too stiff, as with the blur lt replaced it with a king and all problems were gone, matbe it's all the plastic parts Cane Creek uses in their headset
    Last edited by ATXZJ; 01-31-2013 at 02:21 PM.
    SC:12' Butcher (sold)
    SC:12' Superlight 29er (sold)
    SC:12' Juliana (wife's)
    SC:12' TBLT

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    no need to be sorry gives me an excuse to buy King

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Anyone have a 1x10 chain guide on theirs? Looking at the e13 one, I'm assuming I'd be getting the low version of the tube mount?

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Santa Cruz Superlight 29 One Month Review-405025_10151113258246993_1818472983_n.jpgI found that I can do quite a bit with a 100mm for, but I will probably get a 120 Reba

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I have ordered up a north shore billet single ring for my XO cranks to go with my 10 spd rear. Will see how it stays on before I buy a chain guide

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jkrispies View Post
    Anybody offering a "long term report" on their superlights? I'm looking a bit at an RCX29...
    I ride the crap out of the bike in the wet, Santa Cruz makes bikes for drier conditions than here. That being said it has stood well for 3 months before I blew out the pivot bearings. I replaced those with Enduros and things are fine

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Anybody offering a "long term report" on their superlights? I'm looking a bit at an RCX29...
    I ride the crap out of the bike in the wet, Santa Cruz makes bikes for drier conditions than here. That being said it has stood well for 3 months before I blew out the pivot bearings. I replaced those with Enduros and things are fine

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Trooper46 View Post
    How well would this bike work with me, a big 6'3" 230# burly man? Would I break it?
    I bought a 2013 Superlight R XC and it is the best bike ever. I'm 270lbs and 6'4" so the bike's life is pretty rough. It does everything I could ever ask and more. No pedal bob and no flex. The frame in an XL and excellent build quality. The only addition I would consider is a dropper post.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Ok here goes. I bought this frame as a replacement for an XC race hard tail (stopped racing). I wanted something that I could swap all my parts onto. The SL is good that way and its relatively inexpensive and a company that my LBS sells. I also wanted something that wasn't going to need huge amounts of maintenence, like my other VPP bike. I put on the fox 100 fork and my xo groupo and mavic wheels. The bike rides well, not great, its a single pivot remember. I do tend to beat on this bike, I jump it, roll into things with it and like to do techy trails. There is some lateral flex to the bike and some bob when peddling hard out of the seat. These issues could be resolved by getting a better suspension system. I did put a dropper post on it, Reverb, and am going to run it as a 1x10, dont really need the big ring here. Things I intend to change: get rid of the fox fork, Ive rebuilt it twice and have a hard time dailing it in. I want to go with a Rock Shox Reba 120mm. Replace my avid brakes, nothing but problems with them, with shimano XT's. Overall the bike handles well and takes what I throw at it with stride. It climes well, its light, its playfull, has a short reared. It is not the best suspension I've ridden as the rear end packs up when you hit chatter, nor is it very supple or good with square bump compliance. But it is inexpensive and wont need as much maintnence. I have seen people on this string say that that this is the best bike they have ridden, they obviously have not ridden on really nice bikes. This bike is like an old toyota pick up; its not the most fancy thing out there but its dependable and will not break the bank. Just my two cents worth. Oh yeah I have had it for 5 months now.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Hey JasonHH,
    If you don't mind me asking how much was the frame? I'm curious because I want to buy a mountain bike but I don't want to go over $1,000. Do you have any recomendations? I would like to do some trail riding, I live over in Loveland CO.
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Sorry forgot to state that I do like this bike and am happy with itSanta Cruz Superlight 29 One Month Review-566906_10151143409331993_284760391_o.jpg

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Dipstic View Post
    Hey JasonHH,
    If you don't mind me asking how much was the frame? I'm curious because I want to buy a mountain bike but I don't want to go over $1,000. Do you have any recomendations? I would like to do some trail riding, I live over in Loveland CO.
    Thanks

Hello.. I need to sell my 29er frame... It is in mint condition.. Small size... Black color and asking 600 + shipping

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Fparra View Post
    Hello.. I need to sell my 29er frame... It is in mint condition.. Small size... Black color and asking 600 + shipping
    I am hoping to buy a complete bike, I don't know much about mountain bikes and I really wouldn't feel comfortable building one. Plus I would need a medium.
    Thanks anyway though

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    glad to see a SL29er thread is alive and kicking. I bought the SL29 RXC 2012 kit back in June and have had a blast with this bike. I (don't laugh)ride in South Florida but we actually have some nice man-made technical trails.. Anyhow I have not done any upgrades except for some flat pedals but I have noticed that I am bottoming out when dropping off 2' ledges or whatnot. I adjusted the psi on the front from 90 to 80 I weigh 155 but have yet to try it out. I started thinking that maybe a 120mm front shock might be worth it.
    other upgrades I want to do eventually are
    front grips, to some odi for more cushioning on long rides
    upgrade the volt saddle to something more comfortable,
    maybe try out a shorter stem.

I wouldn't mind switching to a 1x or 2x but wouldnt want to spend alot doing that.
    Ill replace the maxxis tires when I wear them out.

Im really happy with the bike and will probably only upgrade components as I wear them out. I did have to buy a new swing arm after denting the **** out of it somehow.

mtbr member
    Good to hear you're enjoying the SL! The volt was one of the first things to go, along with the crossmarks on my bike. IMHO, 2' drops are quite a bit for a SL29. I'm not saying you cant do it because i do somewhat often but I found you'll need to play with shock/fork pressures for aggressive riding such as drops and then again for normal XC.

A 120mm fork would be nice but once you get the REBA dialed in, it is a great fork and you can spend your $ elsewhere. The float rear shock seems to be the archillies heal of the 2012 SL.

Quote Originally Posted by yem999 View Post
    glad to see a SL29er thread is alive and kicking. I bought the SL29 RXC 2012 kit back in June and have had a blast with this bike. I (don't laugh)ride in South Florida but we actually have some nice man-made technical trails.. Anyhow I have not done any upgrades except for some flat pedals but I have noticed that I am bottoming out when dropping off 2' ledges or whatnot. I adjusted the psi on the front from 90 to 80 I weigh 155 but have yet to try it out. I started thinking that maybe a 120mm front shock might be worth it.
    other upgrades I want to do eventually are
    front grips, to some odi for more cushioning on long rides
    upgrade the volt saddle to something more comfortable,
    maybe try out a shorter stem.

I wouldn't mind switching to a 1x or 2x but wouldnt want to spend alot doing that.
    Ill replace the maxxis tires when I wear them out.

Im really happy with the bike and will probably only upgrade components as I wear them out. I did have to buy a new swing arm after denting the **** out of it somehow.
    SC:12' Butcher (sold)
    SC:12' Superlight 29er (sold)
    SC:12' Juliana (wife's)
    SC:12' TBLT

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    How is tire clearance?

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    If anyone is interested I am selling a 2012 Santa Cruz Superlight 29 frame size large in the classifieds (see link). I am also including the headset, crankset, bottom bracket and seatpost. It has been a great bike but I am moving and don't think that full squish will be necessary. If you have questions personal message me.

2012 Santa Cruz Superlight 29 frame plus extras - Buy and Sell and Review Mountain Bikes and Accessories

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    $1050.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by slowdave View Post
    Think mine has the same problem (Cane Creek 10 HS). Got mine in August, the D Kit so lower end, but only a few weeks of riding I noticed something loose. Tightened up the head set, always seems there is a small bit of play. Last week I noticed it was really quite loose. To completely eliminate the slop the steering becomes stiff. Maybe time for replacement?

All in all the bike is awesome and I enjoy the heck out of every mile I put on it. I think it is a lot of bike for the money.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Love my SL 29er

I bought my SL 29er with the DXC kit last fall. I was only able to ride it a handful of times, and now that spring is finally getting here in New England, I'm starting to get on the rig again.

I love this bike. Before this, I was riding a 1998 Trek 7000, which was fine until I hit 40. After that, it was just painful. 20 minutes into a ride and my whole body hurt.

I test rode a bunch of FS bikes and the SL was just the best fit and ride for me. Also, I got it for $1,650 in tax-free New Hampshire, so I think I gotta a pretty good deal, too. The only thing I don't like is the white fork.

As you can imagine, compared to a 15 year-old HT 26er, this thing is basically a dream to ride, and just a totally different experience.

The only thing I've added to the bike were a pair of Shimano PD-M324 SPD dual platform pedals.

Santa Cruz Superlight 29 One Month Review-7960097364_43ca11eb90_c.jpg

Santa Cruz Superlight 29 One Month Review-7960097688_03ece1e007_c.jpg

Santa Cruz Superlight 29 One Month Review-7960097944_32532f3841_c.jpg

Santa Cruz Superlight 29 One Month Review-7960098202_d4b37c951d_c.jpg
    Last edited by velomoose; 04-10-2013 at 10:55 AM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Name:  Superlight 29er.jpg
Views: 1060
Size:  57.8 KB
    Quote Originally Posted by Fparra View Post
    I got the DXC in March 2012, with recon silver, deore crank, avid 1.

Upgrades....

Rock Shox Reba 120 155mm thru....great stifness in the front.
    Deus Raceface Crankset ...smooth pedaling
    Frond disc brake to a 203mm.... great response and modulation
    Thomson 100mm stem... I need more space for my arms.
    Deyti Dirty30 Handelbar.... not going back for any shorter...

I feel some flex in the rear... because the wheelset.. not the frame... it is going to be the next upgrade.
    Finally built the wheels... Stans ZTR Arch (deal for $42 each), DTSWiss Competition Spokes, Hope Hub in the front, and Octane in the rear. Running Tubeless with Kendas non UST... great stifness and weight savers... not any flex at all.... at this point it is an excellent ride... almost 1 year on it... every change you do to it improves the way it handles...

This is my first FS, I have never ridden any other FS in my life, this is my first at all. You can imagine that I feel great on this... I get rid of the flexy thing in the rear by upgrading the wheels, I feel more confident on aggressive segments. The front end with thru axle, tapered, thomson and deity is almost perfect. The drive train SLX -Raceface is smooth and reliable... waiting for an XT brakes...

For know I ride it the most I can, not as much as I wish...

Regarding the Frame... no complains at all, everyone knows it is not the best frame in the world... and we are not in the rat race to have the best FS. The frame is simple, light and conservative, im not a racer and don't want to be, I enjoy being in the trails, not FS geek, the color frame and decals are not my favorites...

mtbr member
    Jun 2012

Broken Frame

Have had my SL29 for a bout 14 months. New England x-country riding, more roots than rocks. Not any legit downhill riding. Broke the frame last night. It must of had a crack in it for a couple of weeks as I noticed the chain has been rubbing on the tire when in the small ring. I have been really busy with work and haven't had a chance to figure out why, kinda been blaming the Stans Crest on the rear. Was able to get our for 55ish miles on the weekend, was getting a bit worse. Then last night the rear went all noodle like.....bad. Upon inspection the curved tube in the rear triangle that connects the chain stay and seat stay (around the seat tube) is completely broken all the way through. Drive side. Time for a call to SC.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013

Reverb Post

Still love my Superlight 29er I spite of disappointing Avid brakes and a Fox fork that had to be sent back. Curious to know though, has anyone fitted a reverb post to the their SL? I'm thinking of adding one but all I know is that it needs to be 30.9, what size post/travel have people fitted?

Mine's a Large frame... guessing I need a 380mm with maybe a 100mm or 125mm travel??

Santa Cruz Superlight 29 One Month Review-sl.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by wgerow View Post
    Have had my SL29 for a bout 14 months. New England x-country riding, more roots than rocks. Not any legit downhill riding. Broke the frame last night. It must of had a crack in it for a couple of weeks as I noticed the chain has been rubbing on the tire when in the small ring. I have been really busy with work and haven't had a chance to figure out why, kinda been blaming the Stans Crest on the rear. Was able to get our for 55ish miles on the weekend, was getting a bit worse. Then last night the rear went all noodle like.....bad. Upon inspection the curved tube in the rear triangle that connects the chain stay and seat stay (around the seat tube) is completely broken all the way through. Drive side. Time for a call to SC.
    Realize this is an old thread, bumping it back up. Without much hassle Santa Cruz provided me with a new rear swing arm, no charge. Very nice.
    Still loving this bike.
    Late last summer I had a RP23 on the bike for a little while (long story) as my RL was out of commission. I found the RP23 with propedal made a huge difference in pedal bob and efficiency. I am in search of an RP23 for this bike; I think this is a worthy upgrade on this single pivot ride....not convinced on the new CTD stuff.
    Has anyone else made the switch? Boost valve or no? What kind of tune did the shock have fore rebound, velocity, etc??

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast