Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Anybody offering a "long term report" on their superlights? I'm looking a bit at an RCX29...

mtbr member
    I've had my 13 rxc for about 3 months and am thrilled with it! I'm an old slow clyde but its a fun bike with good componets at a price you can work with. I upgraded brakes to xt and upgraded the rear wheel to a flow ex on an I9 hub cause i ride a lot of rocks but thats it so far.
    “An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” Marco Polo

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    here's mine, so far i love this bike, took a while to dial suspension in now it's sweet, smooths out the PA rocks just fine and just enough squish so i can bomb the downhills (something i missed after riding a rigid SS for a year), it climbs as fast as my legs will push it and is everything i had hoped after riding a 26" SL for 9 yrs, now the down side which i am currently trying to rectify- the wheelset that came on this bike, shimano XT hubs and skinny Mavic 719's absolutely suck flexy and any more than a 2.2 feelslike a wet noodle on there, once i get a set of chris king hubs and Stans flow rims all should be right in this bike world

rdb
    mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jkrispies View Post
    Anybody offering a "long term report" on their superlights? I'm looking a bit at an RCX29...
    If you haven't already, look for a thread by ghost_03, he has a good long term review.

mtbr member
    I've had mine since June and still like it quite a bit. It climbs and descends very well. I considered going with a long travel 29er (Salsa Horsethief), but I liked the handling and the climbing ability of the SL29er much better. I bought it Frame only and transferred parts from my old bike (Voodoo Canzo 29er) except for the fork (added a Reba XX) and threw on a dropper post. I am considering changing the fork out for a 120mm at some point, although I don't know that I really need it. I have ridden the bike on various terrain in Southern California, St. George UT, Fruita CO, Moab UT (slick rock) and Steamboat Springs CO. with no complaints.

Maestro
    Apr 2004

SL29 vs Voodo Canzo

Quote Originally Posted by teamshort View Post
    I've had mine since June and still like it quite a bit. It climbs and descends very well. I considered going with a long travel 29er (Salsa Horsethief), but I liked the handling and the climbing ability of the SL29er much better. I bought it Frame only and transferred parts from my old bike (Voodoo Canzo 29er) except for the fork (added a Reba XX) and threw on a dropper post. I am considering changing the fork out for a 120mm at some point, although I don't know that I really need it. I have ridden the bike on various terrain in Southern California, St. George UT, Fruita CO, Moab UT (slick rock) and Steamboat Springs CO. with no complaints.
    How does the SL29 climb and corner when compared to the Canzo?

mtbr member
    I climbs about the same, but it corners better and is a more maneuverable, probably due to the shorter chain stays. It's better climbing on tight switchbacks.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    nice review dude... appreciated

mtbr member
    Dec 2010

Sc sl 29 dxc

I got the DXC in March 2012, with recon silver, deore crank, avid 1.

Upgrades....

Rock Shox Reba 120 155mm thru....great stifness in the front.
    Deus Raceface Crankset ...smooth pedaling
    Frond disc brake to a 203mm.... great response and modulation
    Thomson 100mm stem... I need more space for my arms.
    Deyti Dirty30 Handelbar.... not going back for any shorter...

I feel some flex in the rear... because the wheelset.. not the frame... it is going to be the next upgrade.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Santa Cruz Superlight 29 One Month Review-03.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Had mine for @ 3 months now

And have been very pleased. I got mine from competitivecyclist.com, expecting the Deore/ SLX mix however the bike came with SRAM X5/X7 which I was not upset about. Shifting has just started to get a bit fussy requiring some adjustments and today a spoke came loose on the ride, but I consider this normal break in. I swapped out the Race Face Ride stem and post to Stylo T20 stem (wanted a longer one than the 90 it came with) and also added a T30 post. The bike came with a Stylo T20 bar, not the Race Face one I thought would be included. The Maxxis CrossMark tires are ok, but not really made for wet leaves or mud.

It is my first 29er and I am a relative newbie, but it rides very well, and seems to be a lot of bike for the $1,850 I paid. It is heavy (30.5 lbs) and coming from a 27lb 26er FS, I was concerned that the bike would lose some of the nimble climbing aspects of it's small wheeled predecessor. But I was pleasantly surprised at how the bike feels light while riding. The Elixer brakes have nice stopping power. Some rub here and there, but usually after a good lever pull it goes away.

I get tons of compliments on it too. She is very pretty. Although I would prefer a little less black. If things break or fail, they will be replaced with X9 stuff in silver. I swapped the rather hard Lizard Skin grips for metallic Blue Oury's. Also put a blue headset cap on. Needed a little color.
    Last edited by PeterF1963; 12-17-2012 at 04:39 AM.

AZ
    banned
    Good to see largely positive feedback, still waiting anxiously for mine.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I've put about 225 miles on my RXC. Love the bike! Other than changing the front tire and grips, I haven't done anything to it and have no intention of changing anything out. Yes, the "Superlight" is actually a bit heavy, but I ride for exercise and don't see any point in spending a $1000 to drop a couple more pounds... unless it's off my gut, ha! Fyi, I ride mainly in the Mojave Desert, at least 50 miles a week with a 3000-4000 foot cummulative weekly altitude gain. I can say that it climbs great, descends great, and can handle the soft stuff just fine.

I've read some review complaining about nose dive; I've also read complaints that the single point pivot bobs too much. I haven't felt any of that at all-- in fact, I demo'ed a Giant Anthem 0 for 50 miles and found bob to be very noticeable on that... for $1500 more in cost! Having acknowledged that, I have the RXC version which has the upgraded Foxshox CTD Float front and back which may be a contributing factor. When I test rode the base model in my LBS' parking lot I wasn't impressed with the way they felt and decided to take a gamble on the upgraded model. Between the Fox and Shimano gear, the RXC is an absolutely awesome package.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by jkrispies View Post
    I've put about 225 miles on my RXC. Love the bike! .

:
    JKrispies....Let's see that ride....

Some riding outputs... Don't feel any bob also, actually it climbs really really nice, it depends more of the rider legs and technique than the bike geometry.

In rocky and sandy sections I dont feel completely smooth im going to try less pressure on the tires or definitively change them...

Not need to close the shock or the fork for climbing section.... fork and shock are set at +-80 PSI Im in the 140's of weight....my reba is set at 100mm... someday I will try the 120mm just for curiosity... at 100mm and my riding style (XC) is completely fine... I don't apply any kind of abuse..

Just need to deal with the rear flex in the wheels...not very glad with the WheelsShimano M525 Hubs/WTB Laserdisc Rims Wheelset.. Stock Wheels... please avoid them... really not a positive comment... just the price

If you'r going for the SCSL'29 better go for the RXC.... definitively avoid the DXC, if its a matter of budget wait a bit until you get the money for the RXC... the $ more definitively worth it...

The wheelset with better hubs and fork with thru axle makes a huge difference in handling and riding, stiffness and control...

Both... shimano and sram are no brainers...not a single difference on them... just if you can get the top of the line gears the better it brakes and the smoothness in shift...

Wish you nice rides in this 2013....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Santa Cruz Superlight 29 One Month Review-12.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I'll try to get a photo or two up. Not sure what kind of land you're riding on (looks similar to my area from your photos), but I've kept the stock Maxxis on the rear and have a Specialized Captain on the front. I couldn't ask for a better tire so far, and I have to say that it's surprisingly stable when it gets soft. I just did a 10 mile ride in the DESERT where sections of it had my rear tire squirreling around at about a 20 degree offset to where I was steering while climbing uphill. I was riding motorcycle trails that were relatively tore up and/or just soft regardless. The Captain worked perfectly. I kept the front Maxxis and hung it on the wall to remount when the rear wears out, but once those two Maxxis are used up, I'll probably go Captain's front and back.

EDIT TO ADD: regarding the 120mm forks, I got them because they were cheaper than the 100mm forks (don't ask me to explain why) and I'll testify that 100mm forks are perfectly fine for anybody who rides XC like me. I might change my mind after hitting Mammoth this summer, but I'm doubting it...
    Last edited by jkrispies; 01-07-2013 at 12:04 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Here's a photo of the RXC29. Would have a gotten it up sooner but the early sunsets and freezing temperatures haven't been too conducive to riding.

Okay nevermind... it's right side up on everything I own except this post with no way to rotate...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Santa Cruz Superlight 29 One Month Review-photo-58.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I've had my SL (medium D-kit 2013) for a little over a month and I love it! I do plan on upgrading a bit, but for now I'm just riding when ever possible. Had a great ride this afternoon. I took this pic post ride. Gotta love Texas in January!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Trying again on the pic...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Santa Cruz Superlight 29 One Month Review-photo-60.jpg  

Last edited by jkrispies; 01-29-2013 at 06:25 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    hey guys i got a sizing question for you. i'm 5 ft 6.5 inches, with a 32.5 inseam...i have a long legs/short torso thing going on. I'm looking into getting a SL29er and am thinking based on the geometry charts the small might be too small. i currently ride a small specialized rockhopper and it feels pretty good with the 60mm stem it has.

anyone around 5'6-5'7 have any input?

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I would test a medium and a small if possible. I'm 5'10 with 34" inseam 173# and went with a medium. The bike fits me fine.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Best idea is to test ride, even if it's just around the parking lot. I'm almost identical in size to nelson73 and ride a large. I could probably pop down to a medium, though.

Finally got a pic to load above...

mtbr member
    Get the biggest you can fit on. Im 5 10 32" and originally had a medium, then switched out to large SL29. The medium had a 130mm stem and i was still cramped. On the large, I was able to drop down to a 70MM stem and some wider bars which really livened up the bike.

Either way, the RXC 29er is a great bike and does 75% of the trails around here just fine.

SC:12' Butcher (sold)
    SC:12' Superlight 29er (sold)
    SC:12' Juliana (wife's)
    SC:12' TBLT

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Yeah that's basically along the line of thinking I was on. Probably better off on a medium with a short stem

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by vegan_warrior View Post
    Yeah that's basically along the line of thinking I was on. Probably better off on a medium with a short stem
    +1. Sometimes I feel like my large is a hair too long, but the legs are always just right. I think if I shortened the stem, and maybe angled it up a smidge, it would be perfect.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    i'm 5'7" and ride a medium, i actually had to put a longer stem on mine, to stretch out the cockpit a bit( maybe i got ape arms?)replaced the crappy cane creek headset with a king and should be getting the C.K. wheelset soon, the all will be right in this world

mtbr member
    Curious. What issues were you having with factory headset?
    SC:12' Butcher (sold)
    SC:12' Superlight 29er (sold)
    SC:12' Juliana (wife's)
    SC:12' TBLT

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast