mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Salsa Semi-Disc or Stans ZTR Flows hoops?

I'm gonna be building and new wheels set and was wondering what you all would think would be the best rim for my Monocog. I'm not going to be running tubeless ( at least I think i'm not) LOL. But I'm looking to also see whent would give my Kenda Nevagles the best overall preformance as well. Thanks!

the mountian is within
    Nov 2004
    The Salsa Semi's are a lil wider-and really nice to build with-havent done the stans-but salsas would be my choice fer sure!
    i own a bikeshop in WV thetruewheelwv.com

mtbr member
    Bro, you can't lose with either one of them. I've had my front wheel rebuilt with a Semi after pancaking my DT470 29er and it's held up great. Real nice solid stiff rim. It does have a posting on the rim that it's not designed for tubeless.
    I also recently had a new wheelset built up with the ZTR Flow rims with 36 spoke count and am running them tubless. It will shave some weight off your bike and you'll never want to go back to riding with tubes.
    Price wise I think they're about the same.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I had a pair of the semi's built up this spring and they are bomb proof so far!
    I am riding a HT and i have smashed into some rocks that flatted the tube immediately...wheel is still perfectly true. Credit to the wheel builder too!!

Quote Originally Posted by RussoJ
    I'm gonna be building and new wheels set and was wondering what you all would think would be the best rim for my Monocog. I'm not going to be running tubeless ( at least I think i'm not) LOL. But I'm looking to also see whent would give my Kenda Nevagles the best overall preformance as well. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Go Stans and run tubeless. Like others have said you never go back to tubes and the stans stuff is just plain easy to setup. Talk to the guys over at R2technik.com for flows and chub hubs, that would be a sweet set up.
    C-DALE FLASH 29 Carbon 2 (19.6 lbs)
    C-DALE BB1

T , V , & K Rider
    Nov 2004
    I sure dig my Salsa semi disc rims.....though I'm using tubes ( yeah , I know ) anyway they are holding up well and staying true so far ! Seem to be a pretty tough rim that has survived a couple of endos , a crash off a slippery log crossing , and numerous small jumps without the need to be retrued yet ! Kudos to Larry at MHC because he built my wheels for me and they are still rollin true and gettin well used too ! TIG.
    Last edited by TIGMAN; 05-26-2011 at 08:33 PM.

mtbr member
    What's the rest of the bike look like? I was assuming that it might be a new Turner? The welds on the rear triangle are perfect.

T , V , & K Rider
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Schultz29
    What's the rest of the bike look like? I was assuming that it might be a new Turner? The welds on the rear triangle are perfect.

Early shots..........yeah , its a 09 DW - Link Sultan and I really dig this bike ! The quality of the welds is excellent on mine anyway ! I'm really impressed on how this bike performs and yeah , I dig riser bars and platform pedals being a fan of longer travel rigs its in my blood though I use clipless as well !
    Last edited by TIGMAN; 05-26-2011 at 08:33 PM.

mtbr member
    My experience is the semi is slightly heavier than the flow, but also a bit wider and seems to be a little bit stronger. Pretty close overall. Semi has eyelets which seems to build up nice, but never seem to have problems with the non-eyelet flow either. I've hit the lip of my Semi's pretty hard plenty of times and they don't seem to bend very easy. Still perfectly straight after a good bit of riding and smashing, including the pinch flatting of the tire bead itself.

Also, I have my Semi's running tubeless just fine. They fit tires just *slightly* more loose than Flows. Since yellow tape for Flows is not wide enough for them, make sure you go around twice with the tape to get it all the way up into the bead seat corners on both sides (use this as a rule for any rim, but since the tape is not wide enough, need two go arounds). This fits tires like the Bonty XDX TLR tightly and inflates with a floor pump. I have mounted up other tires...Ralphs, MTN King, and Stout. Stout being the loosest and burp prone fit by a good margin. For this I went over the yellow tape with a go around of electrical tape (all the way to both corners), which makes the fit just a little bit tighter and normally allows floor pump inflation and no burping...plus a pretty fast seal. It doesn't last through a bunch of tire changes, but is easy to do and cheap and can make a pretty large difference in inflation with a floor pump. I have used this trick on Stans rims as well, but again the Semi seems just a smidge more burp prone compaired to the Stans rims. Might have more to do with them being a bit wider than anything.

I normally run 25-28 psi depending on conditions and tire. Your results may vary....

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Those welds remind me of my first dream bike back in the 80's...PK RIPPER.
    Nice!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Schultz29

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Thanks for the replies guys. I'm will end up going with the Salsa Semi-Disc because I want that wider rim width. The wider width should give my tires a wider contact patch right?

mtbr member
    You know, one would think that but since I've had both tires/rims up front I'd have to say my Flow's had a "larger" contact patch since I can run them with less psi and the tire "conforms" to the terrain. Again, this is just my novice experience. I'm sure the more knowledgeable will chime in here.
    I am curious as to trying some of those tires mentioned a few posts up on my Semi and run them tubeless.

@ChuckUni, did you have to drill out the space a bit to fit the tubeless valve from Stans or do they fit without modifying the rim? I wonder if you couldn't just use a thicker tape? Stans sells different size width tape.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bunyan
    @ChuckUni, did you have to drill out the space a bit to fit the tubeless valve from Stans or do they fit without modifying the rim? I wonder if you couldn't just use a thicker tape? Stans sells different size width tape.
    The standard universal Stans valve works perfect, no modifications. As for wider tape, the stans yellow tape for flows is the widest I know of and not wide enough to go edge to edge inside.

As for my electrical tape trick it just make the clearances a bit tighter and this aides in inflation and burping. I have done this to aide inflation on a stans arch rim as well. It also seems to help that it's a bit on the soft side, but it eventually moves around inside with the swapping of tires. That said I might find something better or just try layers of yellow tape in the future. I find it's not needed at all with the tubless ready bead of the Bontrager and I would assume that goes for any UST/ready bead.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I am thinking the exact same thing with my Semi!!!!!

I raced a few weeks ago and the last 12 miles of the course was almost all downhill and i passed a bunch of people, i was pushing it and all i could think about was please don't flat on these babyheads. 1/2 mile before the finish line.....I flat and i think just about every person i passed...passed me back and everyone said you should try tubeless

Quote Originally Posted by Bunyan
    You know, one would think that but since I've had both tires/rims up front I'd have to say my Flow's had a "larger" contact patch since I can run them with less psi and the tire "conforms" to the terrain. Again, this is just my novice experience. I'm sure the more knowledgeable will chime in here.
    I am curious as to trying some of those tires mentioned a few posts up on my Semi and run them tubeless.