Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    I can break anything

Salsa Pro Moto Carbon Flat Bar

I've decided to go w/ a flat bar on my Redline Monocog 29er. I like a wider bar on both my SS and my full squishy 26er so I've decided to go w/ the salsa. I am also hoping the carbon 25.4 bar soaks up a bit more vibration and bumps than the stock Easton O/S Riserbar.

So... my question is... WHAT BEND?! 5, 11, or 17 degree???

Opinions are much appreciated.
    Redline Monocog 29er
    Trek Fuel EX5
    Schwinn Moab w/ Surly 1x1 fork (road use)
    Specialized Rockhopper HT

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I like the 11 degree. Super comfy position and not to drastic of a change from my FS 26er.

Expert Crasher
    I think you're limited to 5 deg w/ the carbon if you choose 25.4. That being said, I have the 11 deg aluminum version and like it quite a lot. 17 degree would be nice as well. The last one I'd choose is 5 deg.
    Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin

CB2
    Jam Econo
    Here's the carbon bar in 25.4 with 11 degrees of sweep.

I had the alloy version and swapped to the carbon after building a stiffer front wheel and needing a little extra damping.
    It worked.

I can break anything
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenLightGo
    I think you're limited to 5 deg w/ the carbon if you choose 25.4. That being said, I have the 11 deg aluminum version and like it quite a lot. 17 degree would be nice as well. The last one I'd choose is 5 deg.

WOW! You guys are super fast! The 25.4 does come in 5, 11, and 17.

thanks for the input so far...
    Redline Monocog 29er
    Trek Fuel EX5

Expert Crasher
    Good to know, for some reason, I thought the carbon 11/17 was 31.8 only.
    Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin

mtbr member
    personally I like the 5 degree with the singlespeed, and the 11 degree with the gears. This was because I HAD bar ends on the SS, and holding on the ends was akward with the 11 degrees. Since then I have removed the bar ends, so who knows now.

Another think I didn't like was the 25.4 on the SS. It felt flexy cranking down on them. They are fine for gears, but I recommend the 31.8 for SS.

mtbr member
    i wish those bars were wider... i love my AL version with 11* sweep

Recovering couch patato
    You'll like the 11 only till the money you try the 17.

Do get a really long stem. Add 20mm over a regular flat bar.

I can break anything
    I just realized the bar only comes in 660mm... not 680mm like I previously thought. Anyone know of a wider carbon flat bar that comes in a 25.4 clamp? I'm worried the 660mm bar wont be big enough...
    Redline Monocog 29er
    Trek Fuel EX5

banned
    Mar 2008
    Surly Torsion Bar is 666mm. I don't know of any wider.

mtbr member
    IIRC the 710mm wide carbon bar is only available in 31.8, 25.4 is only available in 660mm. I went from a 710mm wide bar to the 11* 660 bar and couldn't be happier.

EXORCIZE
    I like lots of bend for climbing on a SS, so I wouldn't hesitate and go with the 17.

mtbr member
    Really like the 11 degree. It's just a nice amount of bend, and the AL version at 710 is handy for fine tuning.....although I've cut them down to 670 and they're still too wide so I'll probably end up at 650 which will be funny.

Thomson has stopped production of the 25.4 Elite stems, so maybe think of this as an opportunity to go 31.8? 25.4 may be a bit of a dying breed if that's any indication.
    No longer member of the bike industry nor society, so don't hassle me.

I can break anything
    Quote Originally Posted by Thylacine
    Really like the 11 degree. It's just a nice amount of bend, and the AL version at 710 is handy for fine tuning.....although I've cut them down to 670 and they're still too wide so I'll probably end up at 650 which will be funny.

Thomson has stopped production of the 25.4 Elite stems, so maybe think of this as an opportunity to go 31.8? 25.4 may be a bit of a dying breed if that's any indication.
    Let me get your opinion on this, then. The reason I was looking for a 25.4 bar instead of a 31.8 is because I thought it would add a bit more damping and a small amount of flex to help soak up the REALLY rooty conditions where I ride. The bike came w/ an aluminum O/S Riserbar and I thought it was just a bit too rigid.

I like the Salsa Cromoto Stem and that only comes in 25.4. I'm not closed minded... what would you do?
    Redline Monocog 29er
    Trek Fuel EX5

(was) Big in Japan

Dead set on carbon?

Why don't you give James at Black Sheep a call? Word is that he makes anything you want, and folks seem to say that Ti bars ride reeeeaaaaalllllllll nice. Can't imagine that a wide, flat bar would be too expensive.

C.
    Ride.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Cloxxki
    You'll like the 11 only till the money you try the 17.

Do get a really long stem. Add 20mm over a regular flat bar.
    I had an 11deg. on my Sultan and just could'nt get my hands comfortable. I went from a 70 to 90mm stem. The 70 was too short and the 90 too long. I would have to switch from Thomson to purchase an 80mm. My hands just did'nt rest right on the bars. When using my 7 or 9deg bars and 70 stem my hands are comfortable.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSingleGuy
    Why don't you give James at Black Sheep a call? Word is that he makes anything you want, and folks seem to say that Ti bars ride reeeeaaaaalllllllll nice. Can't imagine that a wide, flat bar would be too expensive.

C.
    +1 for Ti. Seven will also make you a nice flatbar with any degree of sweep you desire for ~150 which depending on where you get your carbon can be about the same...

anyone else smell that?
    thomson stopped producing 25.4 stems??? dang.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I've got the 17 degree, 25.4.

Its funny you mention flex. I've had Ti bars, alum bars and carbon bars and when I got this thing (Way cheap at Jenson) and this thing flexxes more than the Ti or carbon bars I've ridden. I was going to run it on a hardtail but chose instead to go rigid due to the comfort.

Not sure how this one would compare with the 31.8 in 17 degree.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Tbone
    Its funny you mention flex. I've had Ti bars, alum bars and carbon bars and when I got this thing (Way cheap at Jenson) and this thing flexxes more than the Ti or carbon bars I've ridden. I was going to run it on a hardtail but chose instead to go rigid due to the comfort.

Not sure how this one would compare with the 31.8 in 17 degree.

Carbon or Aluminum??

Keep on Rockin...

25.4 bars...

Flex more than the OS bar regardless if they are Al or carbon.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jgsatl
    thomson stopped producing 25.4 stems??? dang.
    Double dang... 31.8 works for some applications, but IMO it seems a lot like the industry pushing 27 speed drive trains...

mtbr member
    I have a couple of Salsa Pro Moto aluminum bars in 11. They definitely have some flex, so if you're really opposed to that, steer clear. On the other hand, I don't mind the flex. What it takes away when really cranking on the bars, it gives back in ride quality. I think they give a better ride than my 25.4 Monkey Lite carbon bar. And they are cheap!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Longfellow Mafia
    Carbon or Aluminum??

ALuminum. 35 bucks. Only drawback is the width - only 660 wide but their growing on me. The bend is pretty comfy.

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...+Flat+Bar.aspx

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast