Where's Toto?

New question here. Salsa PRO MOTO™ Carbon Flat Bar??? [660mm width]

Anyone know if the Salsa PRO MOTO™ CARBON FLAT BAR is being offered in a 31.8mm clamp diameter? I've checked all the usual suspects and it appears to be 25.4mm only.

FYI - this is Salsa's carbon flat bar - 660mm width with graduated ends for easy trimming offered in 5° or 11°. With the taller head tube of most 29er's this seems like a great bar if you want to run widths approaching that of most riser bars - without the added height. Great for torquing the singlespeed.

Recovering Weight Weenie
    Quote Originally Posted by endure26
    Anyone know if the Salsa PRO MOTO™ CARBON FLAT BAR is being offered in a 31.8mm clamp diameter? I've checked all the usual suspects and it appears to be 25.4mm only.

FYI - this is Salsa's carbon flat bar - 660mm width with graduated ends for easy trimming offered in 5° or 11°. With the taller head tube of most 29er's this seems like a great bar if you want to run widths approaching that of most riser bars - without the added height. Great for torquing the singlespeed.

Not available in 31.8. Only 25.4.
    Both Madre's Niner's sport them.
    My Leviathan has the alu version.

Recovering couch patato
    Oh it's really available in 11º now? I want that one! I have the alu on my rigid XC bike. The carbon version should drop 40g over my shortened ones, and increase comfort.
    Now the wait is for more-sweep carbon and ti bars, for the ultimate in ergonomics and shock absorbsion.

Where's Toto?
    Thanks Padre.

Seems like the trend is towards the oversized bars. I like this bar though and will buy it in 25.4 - would have gone with 31.8 if available.

Cloxxki - my favorite online shops that carry the Salsa bars have both sweep options (Bikeman and S-goat).

WIDE + sweep options + lighter weight + the comfort of carbon = happy rider

Cold. Blue. Steel.
    I sure do like my alu version of the 11º sweep. I must admit I am happier with the bars cut to 24.5" when used in conjunction with bar ends. Without the cheatin' stix, I like the full 26" width, but lately I've enjoyed the extra hand positions on the long rides and races.

Well, I guess the carbon Pro Motos are on my short list for future upgrades! Better ride and less weight? How can we go wrong?

OGG
    Spinning and Grinning...

ali'i hua

New question here.

a little off topic here, but why has the industry gone to the larger stem/bar interface?

Where's Toto?
    I'm guessing, but I think it's because the larger tubing diameter results in a stiffer bar. Roadies seemed to be the first to use it but now a lot of the MTB bars are coming out in 31.8. May also have something to do with the continued proliferation of carbon in bars. Bigger diameter may make it easier to manufacture. Again all speculation on my part. Me - I like the idea because it standardizes everything.

BTW - I just ordered the bars from Bikeman.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowSSer
    a little off topic here, but why has the industry gone to the larger stem/bar interface?
    Also companies can sell the same stem as "road" and "MTB"

Cold. Blue. Steel.
    Quote Originally Posted by dyg2001
    Also companies can sell the same stem as "road" and "MTB"
    Not necessarily... the head/stem angles are quite different between road and mtb.
    Spinning and Grinning...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OneGearGuy
    Not necessarily... the head/stem angles are quite different between road and mtb.
    True, but lots of companies sell essentially the same stem, with maybe a few different rise options, for both road and MTB bikes now that they share the same bar diameter. For example, Bontrager:

"Road" stems:
    http://www.bontrager.com/Road/Components/Stems/5833.php
    http://www.bontrager.com/Road/Components/Stems/5849.php

"Mountain" stems:
    http://www.bontrager.com/Mountain/Co...Stems/5834.php
    http://www.bontrager.com/Mountain/Co...Stems/5850.php

I think the new 31.8mm standard is a boon mainly for manufacturers, with few significant benefits for riders. If anybody can notice a difference in handling after switching from the 25.4 version of a bar to the new "stiffer" 31.8 version, while they are riding a MTB with fat tires at 30 PSI, they are far more sensitive than me.

Recovering couch patato
    A spacer more or less makes the same difference as a stem angle. Anyways, the -17º stems of road bikes are purely such for cosmetic reasons. All bikes have different head tube lengths, and rider's bar height preferences differ even more.

Main difference between 31.8 road and mtb stems might be weight and intended use.
    IMO 25.4 works just fine for humans and handlebars. What diameter do motorbikes use?

2:1
    mtbr member

possible safety issue?

my friends who wrench at the local uber-boutique roadie shop (cheapest bike: $3500) told me that making really light carbon road bars with 26.0 clamp wasn't possible, hence 31.8. When I called BS on that, they confidently explained that a) carbon DH bars are really thick at the clamp area-- making them heavy, and b) Julien Absalon isn't doing the same things to his "light" bars that Boonen and McEwen are. That sounds OK to me.

This created a shadow of doubt in my noggin... my Monkeylites have been trusty and problem free for 4 years, but my Sea Otter ended abruptly this year, when the guy in front of me snapped his carbon bar off at the stem. This was on the first descent of the race, when he hit the first water bar of the race. He went OTB and hit his head really, really hard; I was trying to do EMT stuff and he asked me if his bars broke. I looked over, and sure enough they had. My biggest regret is not looking to see what kind of carbon bars they were.

A sales rep recently said that he wouldn't buy any carbon bars, road or mountain, unless he knew what kind of fatigue/failure testing the manufacturers conducted.

I don't know, maybe I'm just being a big chicken... but I'm thinking my next bars are going to be aluminum-- weight and comfort factor traded out for piece-of-mind.

I'd be stoked if anyone from Salsa or Syntace could speak about the torture-testing and safety of their 25.4 bars... are my roadie-boutique friends full of it? Should I just roll with it?

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    My Easton 25.4 monkey lites still going strong after 5.5 years.

Salsa said the 11deg bar was not available yet.

mtbr member
    Oversized MX bars are 1-1/8" OD at the clamp (28.6mm).

Where's Toto?
    I just got an email back from Bikeman saying the 5-degree bars aren't available until mid-June. Salsa?

Dr. Frost

I'm goin with "Marketing"

Quote Originally Posted by SlowSSer

I'm thinking "Marketing" because they are certainly not lighter

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by endure26
    I just got an email back from Bikeman saying the 5-degree bars aren't available until mid-June. Salsa?
    Try Jensonusa.com, I got my 5 degree through their special order section. Give them a call.

mtbr member

Salsa Bar availability

Quote Originally Posted by jtompilot
    My Easton 25.4 monkey lites still going strong after 5.5 years.

Salsa said the 11deg bar was not available yet.
    Here are a few details.

- Our current flat bars are 25.4 only. We started with 25.4 because we have produced 25.4 stems for something like 25 years. Just too many old stems to ignore. I've seen fixes that appear to work to adapt this to oversize, but remember, this bar is intended as a 25.4 only and these fixes are use at your own risk.

- I just had the new 11 degree carbon bars in my hands in the warehouse. 10:00 AM Central Time. They will go into stock at QBP in the next day or so and be available to shops throughout the world. 5 degrees will be back in stock as well.

- 31.8 is quickly gaining and in hindsite, we should have done 31.8 at the same time, but carbon molds are expensive. Maybe next year in 31.8. We'll see.

Jason
    Adventure by Bike

Check out our blog!

Squalor
    Jan 2004
    So why do we think a stiffer bar is better?

I mean, I'll take a little flex in that area if it means a better ride and less fatigued hands.

Are all the stiffer = better guys straping these 31.8 stems and bars to suspension forks?

LP

Recovering couch patato
    100% stiff can't be nice. some flex is good. I wonder how much flex is perfect. My guts tells me few bars are under the ideal stiffness.
    I have a flexy trekking bar on one bike, and it's wonderful. I wish it were off-road-rated.
    Klok - XC - Skate - Ski

Cassoulet forever !
    Sadly, for one given material, flex is related to strengh.

So the oversized bars shall be stronger, or, made lighter for the same strenght.

The problem, has always is at the interface.
    With a light, oversize bar, your REALLY need a very good interface with the stem, because the thickness is so low.

Any little stress riser mught gives a failure.
    You need, roud edges, low torque on the bolts, stress releave clamping system.

Chek out Easton technical pdf about their 2 bolts, open shell stem.
    Frenchspeaking 29"ers community site http://VingtNeuf.org

Recovering couch patato
    I heard from someone in the business that to overcome the 31.8 to 22.2 difference between clamp and grips, you need such an extreme buttin/tapering, that you need to put extra material there to make it safe. You end up with a heavier bar. You might as well have made a heavy 25.4-22.2 bar. Not my words, but they made sense at the time. I think handlebars are plenty stiff. If you need them stiffer still, make your shifters and brake levers ready for a thinker handlebar, and use bar tape to finish it off.