mtbr member
    Sep 2012

Salsa El Mariachi 2 vs El Mariachi 3

Could some one explain the difference between the El Mariachi 2 and the El Mariachi 3. Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Check out this Salsa Cycles | Bikes | El Mariachi 2. Looks like the 2 has Sram components and a Reba fork. The 3 has Shimano and a Manitou fork. The 2 is black and the 3 is red but I think the geo's are the same. I just built one up as a SS and I love it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Salsa El Mariachi 2 vs El Mariachi 3-el.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    needajob,
    Any issues with the Elixir 5 brakes? The less expensive Elixir 1's on the EM3 seems to have better feedback than the 5's.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I built mine up and used Shimano XT's and they have been great. I have them on another bike also and nothing but good things to say about them.

I'd rather be riding
    He's got XT's on his. I prefer a shimano brake over any elixirs, any day.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    If you can, ride both bikes, even if its just parking lot riding around.The 2 bikes have different part spec.s, but you might not care. It might come down to color and price. But sometimes future upgrades can be more money that spending more upfront.

Needajob: Can you post a side photo of you bike, I have El Mar SS and been thinking about a carbon fork, any ride reviews?
    Thanks
    Tahoe29er

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Here is a side view. I really like the Niner fork and the way it rides. I use this mostly on gravel roads, flat singletrack and 20 mileish XC rides. This fork, combined with the carbon bar, make for a smooth feeling ride on my hands and wrist. The turning is very stable. It is the first rigid I have had and sometimes I do miss the suspension. But, I have another bike set up as 1x10 with a Reba so I go back and forth depending on the area I am riding. I also tried a Whisky 7 in the tubular version. I liked that also but the steering was a little twitchy. I still have the Whisky if you are interested PM me. It is very light and I probably wouldn't have been able to tell the difference if I didn't ride both of them the same day. My EM is at 21lb4oz. Very fun to ride and I find myself trying to ride it as much as possible.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Salsa El Mariachi 2 vs El Mariachi 3-em2.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Thanks Needajob, Looks great. I am going to ride my SS more this summer and then decide if I want a Fox shock or Carbon.
    Tahoe29er