Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Salsa Delgado 29'er Race Rims (problematic?)

I had my 4th front tire flat of the season. Never had this problem until I started using these rims. I have a 2.1 Ignitor on it and it seems the tire does not stay seated securely on the rim. One of the flats was full-on tube explosion with a loud pop. I'm pretty sure the tire came of the rim 30 seconds before that happened. This is really starting to concern me and has definitely ruined a few of my rides. Can I be sure it is the rim? Should I try a different front tire?
    Last edited by mtnlyon; 08-17-2009 at 04:44 AM.

Flaccid Member
    Might try a different front rim. Read the Salsa DelGado rim reviews.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    2 positive reviews, 4 negatives. Nothing about my particular problem though.

agu
    mtbr member
    your rim tape securely in place? worth checking...

dru
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006

fine

I've been running them for 3 months now. No problems at all. I built up the 36 spoke, because I'm hard on stuff (means I crash often), and weigh 180 lbs. I've had to true the front twice, and these have been very minor tweaks. My rim tape does seem to shift around a lot, that's my only complaint.

Drew
    occasional cyclist

mtbr member
    are Salsa Delgado 29'er Race Rims the same as the DD i bought with my bike in 2007? anyway, i have found that Salsa rims fit tires very loosely compared to Stan flows. so loose i have to pump up my inner tube to hold the tire in place to seat them properly. the seam in my Salsa rim is pinned not welded. on a not fast rocky XC type downhill run, the front DD salsa rim took a hit at the seam from the side. unknowing to me, the seam slightly separated at the point closet to the bead. 200 meters later i had a tire dettachment/inner tube blow out through the crack instantly stopping the front wheel and throwing me OTB hard from the bike. today i buy/use welded and snug fitting rims. for safety alone i would change the rim and sorry, last salsa product i buy.
    Last edited by starre; 08-18-2009 at 02:41 AM.

Flaccid Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnlyon
    I had my 4th front tire flat of the season. Never had this problem until I started using these rims. I have a 2.1 Ignitor on it and it seems the tire does not stay seated securely on the rim. One of the flats was full-on tube explosion with a loud pop. I'm pretty sure the tire came of the rim 30 seconds before that happened. This is really starting to concern me and has definitely ruined a few of my rides. Can I be sure it is the rim? Should I try a different front tire?

FWIW, Every single Schwalbe tire I've ever installed has been a tight fit to get on and off. Something to consider if you want to keep the rim.

saddlemeat

Not...

Quote Originally Posted by starre
    are Salsa Delgado 29'er Race Rims the same as the DD i bought with my bike in 2007? anyway, i have found that Salsa rims fit tires very loosely compared to Stan flows. so loose i have to pump up my inner tube to hold the tire in place to seat them properly. the seam in my Salsa rim is pinned not welded. on a not fast rocky XC type downhill run, the front DD salsa rim took a hit at the seam from the side. unknowing to me, the seam slightly separated at the point closet to the bead. 200 meters later i had a tire dettachment/inner tube blow out through the crack instantly stopping the front wheel and throwing me OTB hard from the bike. today i buy/use welded and snug fitting rims. for safety alone i would change the rim and sorry, last salsa product i buy.
    and I quote,

" Salsa Delgado Race Disc 29" 32h Rim Weight: 455 grams (32 hole) Drilling: 32 hole Designed as a disc specific, competitive performance 29’er rim WARNING – Do not use with tubeless systems. This rim is designed for use with a tire and tube. Features a Welded seam for increased strength."

Maybe you are talking about the Delgado Cross? Again I quote,

"700c version of the Delgado, excellent choice for cyclocross and 29ers
    22.5mm width, pinned and sleeved,
    515 grams
    32 or 36 hole, ERD 604
    Eyelet spoke holes
    Machined brake track
    Black or Silver
    WARNING – Do not use with tubeless systems. This rim is designed for use with a tire and tube

I have used my Delgado Discs, apparently yet a different rim, on a rigid SS for two years without incident, with Exiwolves and tubes. Quoting:

"xtra wide
    32 or 36 hole
    Pinned and sleeved
    Single stainless eyelets."

In any case, the Semi and Gordo have replaced all but the Delgado Cross, and seem to get much better reviews. At the time though, the Delgados were *the* light wide 29er rim available.

FYI
    Last edited by bsieb; 08-18-2009 at 09:58 AM.
    A Useful Bear is a handy thing.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I haven't had any issues with the Delgado race in relation to tires coming off, but I have had issues with kevlar bead Ignitors coming off of different rims.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Hi,
    I had/have an issue with the flats, slightely different but the same rims as yours:
    Delgado Race Disc 29" - sliding rim tape
    Right now, I'm testing the solution proposed by Salsa Cycles (with the rim tape).

Maon

dru
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006

welded

The ones I have are welded, and say 'don't run tubeless'. The two tires I've run so far are tight on the bead, taking a good 35 or 40 psi to seat them. The tires are the Ardent and the SB8.

Drew
    occasional cyclist

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I had my 4th front tire flat of the season. I have a 2.1 Ignitor on it and it seems the tire does not stay seated securely on the rim.
    When I reviewed your post again, I just thought that my "sliding" rim tape, might be caused the the fact that my tire (RR 2.25) also doesnt stay seated properly, and that causes rim tape to move .... from the other side, the RR seams to be seated very well, its hard to remove them from the rim ... but I have no other idea what can cause the rim tape to slide that way.

Cheers !

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by RandyBoy
    FWIW, Every single Schwalbe tire I've ever installed has been a tight fit to get on and off. Something to consider if you want to keep the rim.
    Yep, have the same impression with RR 2.25

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by maon
    When I reviewed your post again, I just thought that my "sliding" rim tape, might be caused the the fact that my tire (RR 2.25) also doesnt stay seated properly, and that causes rim tape to move .... from the other side, the RR seams to be seated very well, its hard to remove them from the rim ... but I have no other idea what can cause the rim tape to slide that way.

Cheers !
    You could use strapping tape instead of rim tape to avoid the dreaded tape slide.

BB

Flaccid Member
    A couple of wraps of fiberglass reinforced tape seems to be the racers trick around here, instead of velox rim tape.

agu
    mtbr member
    +1 on strapping tape/ fiber-reinforced tape. You could also trim its width for a perfect fit in the center channel

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Hi BruceBrown, Randy Boy and agu
    I did use such a strapping tape from the beggining - blue schwalbe tape - didnt work (tried 3 times). But the tape was to wide i think (15 mm, instead of recomended 11 mm)

See some photos from the last attempt:
    http://www.fotosik.pl/pokaz_obrazek/...974b0433a.html
    http://www.fotosik.pl/pokaz_obrazek/...016c38942.html
    http://www.fotosik.pl/pokaz_obrazek/...59a3b5e08.html

I got some some recomendation from Salsa Cycles (narrow tape, cleaning the rim) - and I'm testing that now.

But thanks for the advices so I have another ideas in case this doesnt work!

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Hmmmm..... so what would be a step up in rim width from the Delgados? Any brand, not just Salsa. I think I like the ride of a wider rim anyways. Plus I weigh 220lbs and probably should be on a more durable rim. The only reason why I bought these is b/c I found a killer deal on eBay. I was starting to feel that there was reason behind what I paid for them.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by maon
    Yep, have the same impression with RR 2.25

In the meantime I might as well try this. Where I can order one?

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceBrown
    You could use strapping tape instead of rim tape to avoid the dreaded tape slide.

BB
    Any directions somewhere on mtbr?

Glass Breaker
    Aug 2005
    Any directions somewhere on mtbr?
    Measure width of nipple hole channel. Use sharp instrument to cut tape on roll to required width. Peel section of tape off of roll. Put sticky side down on cleaned rim. Wrap entire rim not skipping any sections. Repeat as needed for as many wheels you have in your possesion.

Flaccid Member
    In the meantime I might as well try this. Where I can order one?

Google Red Barn bicycles in MT, and ask for Chad. I've seen some Little Albert 29'ers for $45, the racing ralphs aren't cheap.

transmitter~receiver
    i've had the delgado race disc 29ers for 2-1/2 years... no problems. they were on my geared HT race rig for 2 years and i just rebuilt them for my ss. love 'em.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by agentorangemen
    Measure width of nipple hole channel. Use sharp instrument to cut tape on roll to required width. Peel section of tape off of roll. Put sticky side down on cleaned rim. Wrap entire rim not skipping any sections. Repeat as needed for as many wheels you have in your possesion.

Ok. Where do I purchase this tape?

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Anyone has an experience with these veloplugs ? They look really interesting !
    http://www.velocityusa.com/default.asp?contentID=555

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast