mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Saguaros Vs.Jones ACX?

Out of these tires would you choose to run tubeless and would be a fast roller but still provide good traction for the wet northeast trails? Will be running them on a SS.
    Rolling the Fattys

Did I catch a niner?
    The ACX would be better option for those type of trails and the TLR systems is quite nice setup tubeless I hear. The Saguaros are much better for a dry hardpack type setup and would only really trust it on the rear.
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?
    https://www.dollarshaveclub.com/ref/...A0CC/s/tx/cx/1

mtbr member
    I run Jones ACX 2,,2, both front and rear, tubeless, not the TLR version. Good traction and grip on turns, but Pythons roll faster.
    Tommy:It's for protection.
    Turkish:Protection from what . . . zee Germans?
    veintinuevepulgadas

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

My wife and I are on Hardtail 29ers

both running at least 1 Jones ACX each. Always recommend them and never go looking for another tire. We live in the Berkshires. Harry

mtbr member
    I ride in Pa and love my saguaros, I used it in the front for a while and it worked well, but love it as a rear tire.

Master of Disaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Cabletwitch
    I ride in Pa and love my saguaros, I used it in the front for a while and it worked well, but love it as a rear tire.
    I have Saguaros front and rear and like them a lot (N. Georgia). What did you switch to on the front that you like better?
    I'm gonna miss me when I'm gone.
    IMBA member #234701

WNC Native
    Haven't tried the Saquaros, but the Jones ACX is a great tire. Rolls good and is one of the best tires at hooking on the wet roots and rocks here in WNC.
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

change is good
    Sep 2004
    I love my Saguaros, but they are lacking in the wet. I'm not a big Jones fan, however they are a decent wet weather tire. Another option is the Captain.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Clones123
    I have Saguaros front and rear and like them a lot (N. Georgia). What did you switch to on the front that you like better?

I was running the Saguaro in the front and a python in the rear but was lacking rear traction and then I tore the python so I moved the Saguaro to the back and decided to use up the weirwolf 2.55 tires I had for the front. So more than likely if I had two saguaros I'd be using them front and rear, but am using the weirwolf because I have it and in the front they both seem to work equally well.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Both great tires tubeless, but I've torn the sidewall on two ACX TLRs. The Suguaro definitely has a little more beef in the sidewall, is a little faster than the ACX, and has a little less traction.

Many seem to dislike the Suguaro up front, so I've never even tried it, but many also seem to dislike the Racing Ralph up front, and I've found it to be a great, fast, and ridiculously expensive front tire.

The standard Suguaro converts nicely to tubeless, and can often be found very cheaply. I bought a few last summer for $30 each, but can't remember where.
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Cabletwitch
    What direction do you run it in? Speed or traction in the rear?
    Rolling the Fattys

Just Wanna Ride!
    Feb 2004
    Have both and both are good tires. Love a Saguaro on the back. They wear well due to a slightly harder compound, which also means they can be a bit slick on wet roots - not crazy slick - but slicker than the ACX. The ACX would be a better choice if it will be wet since they are softer and more open tread pattern. I run the ACX on the rear when I know the conditions will be wet.

Saguaros' tight tread spacing makes them fast rollers with predictable handling on all but wet roots.

I'm with DrDon - check out the Captain, too. Fastish roller with very predictable handling in most conditions. Some don't like Specialized, but it really is a good tire.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RussoJ
    What direction do you run it in? Speed or traction in the rear?
    I run it in the traction direction however when its dry and packed I'd love to turn it around, but since thats not the general condition around here I just leave it for traction. I ran it in the speed direction for the front and found that to be best for the front.