Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2010

Saddle help.... Specialized Avatar Gel

Hello guys,

I tried to do a search but the drawback to doing a search on the MTB Forums is that its a general word search and not thread specific or topic. This makes detailed searching complicated as you have to search through each thread to see if the info you want is even mentioned.

ANY way...I bought a saddle last night. I got a Specialized Avatar. I wanted the Phenom but the guy that did the body fit test on me said my sit bones were just a touch wider then the 143mm Phenom. While he thought the Phenom MIGHT work... the Avatar was measured at 155mm and since I told him I am not doing a lot of trail riding yet (new to the 29er SS)...he thought the Avatar would be a good choice for me.

I took the Avatar for a ride last night. I think its a good seat. It was FAR and away better then the OEM seat my SE Stout came with!!! That is for sure. Honestly I liked the seat a lot but I thought it was a bit firm but not too uncomfortable. the guy at the shop said give it a week and see if it works out. he said I can take it back and trade in for something. He said its a common rule with seats...they want their customers to get the right one.

I am curious though...is there anything better I should be looking at? I am trying to stay around the 80-90 dollar price range. I am seriously not trying to buy a $150+ dollar seat right now.... if I can avoid it! I realize that a good seat is WELL worth the money but I just don't have the funds right now to drop on a nicer seat.

Please help with some alternative suggestions! Personal stories about making choices would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Thanks a million for all the help so far!!

JB

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    i would give the saddle a few rides to break in, that has been the case for all the saddles i've bought new.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by bloo
    i would give the saddle a few rides to break in, that has been the case for all the saddles i've bought new.
    Yeah I realize that I should give it some time but...if I could find something thjat is still really good for less...that would be sweet. The other thing is that there are SOOOOOO many saddles to chose from...how the heck am I supposed to know which one is good without buying like 10 different ones just to try out!?!?

~

jrm
    mtbr member

Give it a go

The avatars a great saddle. Mine seems to work best if its in the middle of the seat post rails, level and i ride on the fan of the saddle and near the notch. YMMV

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by jrm
    The avatars a great saddle. Mine seems to work best if its in the middle of the seat post rails, level and i ride on the fan of the saddle and near the notch. YMMV
    Cool man...I will have to give it a chance to break in over the next few days. I told the guy that I would give it through the weekend...he said "no prob". I think I MIGHT need to raise the seat some more as well. The previous seat was a bit taller...the Avatar is more low profile.

I think its a really decent seat in its price range...for sure!

mtbr member
    I love my Avatar too...I had mine on my road bike for a while but it has found a new home recently on my mountain bike. I have not road on it yet though but I don't imagine the ride quality would be any less.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Nubster
    I love my Avatar too...I had mine on my road bike for a while but it has found a new home recently on my mountain bike. I have not road on it yet though but I don't imagine the ride quality would be any less.

Cool...thanks for the input...I hope to find success with it. I was reading the reviews here on MTB and some people started off liking it and then decided later on that it wasn't a good fit. I am going to keep my fingers crossed.

~Disc~Golf~
    I think the Avatar is 26er specific.
    Honestly... ahh I give up

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by highdelll
    I think the Avatar is 26er specific.
    I asked the guy if there was a difference and he said no...its all personal preference and that some guys like mountain bike saddles on their road bike and vice versa. I haven't seen a saddle that says 29er only...

~Disc~Golf~
    you sure?

mtbr member
    May 2010
    you sure?

Yeah...I punched in multiple searches into Google and asked at all the bike stores...but I haven't found anything yet that says "29erOnly" for a saddle.

If you have seen one...post the link...

mtbr member
    I'm not a fan of the Specialized saddles because they seem to be too much of a one position saddle. Not bad comfort wise if you plant your rear in one spot and don't go back or forward from there, and especially painful if you like to get forward up technical climbs.

I really like my Titec El Norte because it is much more comfortable when you move forward up a steep climb, and it has a comfy area in the middle, as well as another position at the back of the saddle. It allows me to shift around for varying terrain, and to use different leg muscles, and change the pressure zones.

Bite Me.
    Highdell is right - a 26er saddle just won't work properly on a 29er - the positioning is all wrong.
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    No such thing as a "29erOnly" saddle, but they are working on a "10SpeedOnly" saddle.
    How wide were your sit bones on the Specialized sit test? The guy who did it for me said that you should look for a saddle that is 12-20mm wider than your sit bones.
    If you do not do a lot of riding, part of it is getting your butt used to any saddle. After the winter layoff, my butt takes about a week to get used to the saddle again. That said, most riders go though lots of saddles till they find the "perfect" one. Good luck...

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by cutthroat
    Highdell is right - a 26er saddle just won't work properly on a 29er - the positioning is all wrong.
    OK well...then can you guys give a link that says "This saddle is for a 29er only?" because I haven't seen anything that even remotely says that online and believe me when I say I have looked.

I punched in "29er saddle, 29er seat 29er mountain bike saddle...etc...etc..." Google, Yahoo and MSN for 29er bike saddle and nothing comes up. I looked at Jenson, REI and using the search term 29er saddle and nothing is shown that says 29er saddle....

So...I dont' know...if you got a link to something show me so I know. The other thing is I rode the bike with the Avatar seat for over an hour last night and it felt fine.

I realize that there are mountain bike specific seats but I didn't see any that said 29er only. the Phenom was longer but not wide enough for my arse.

~Disc~Golf~
    what sub-forum is this?

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Yogii
    No such thing as a "29erOnly" saddle, but they are working on a "10SpeedOnly" saddle.
    How wide were your sit bones on the Specialized sit test? The guy who did it for me said that you should look for a saddle that is 12-20mm wider than your sit bones.
    If you do not do a lot of riding, part of it is getting your butt used to any saddle. After the winter layoff, my butt takes about a week to get used to the saddle again. That said, most riders go though lots of saddles till they find the "perfect" one. Good luck...

He said I measured out at a 147mm I believe. He gave me the 155 Avatar because it was the widest he had in stock...anything else he has to order...

I don't have to have a Spez seat...I just read on here that the Spez seats are a crowd fav....especially the Phenom...that is what took me to a Spez dealer in the first place...that and i wanted my arse fitted!

mtbr member
    May 2010
    what sub-forum is this?
    Not sure what your meaning is...please clarify...

~Disc~Golf~
    jeeez...

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    This is good. www.29ersaddlesonly.com

See if that link works for the 29er saddles

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Relax buddy, its all in good fun. Happened to me already. We have to get a laugh in once in awhile.

As for seats I like the cheapies. It makes me stand up more.

~Disc~Golf~
    eat a xanax

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Maybe I should take up disc golf get a picture of myself holding a twenty dollar bill standing on a mountain and get my "Really Cool" on...or maybe if I had 10 bikes or so then I could qualify for being "#1 MTB Forums Cool Guy at Large".

Bite Me.
    Here's one: see it says 29er on it so it must be for reals. Even says so on the site.http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?ModelID=31081

Somebody needs a nap - now let's get back to 29er specific pedals.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Saddle help.... Specialized Avatar Gel-29er.jpg  

When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

Bite Me.
    I know highdell and he's no Einstein, but he doesn't resort to potty mouth either, which is more than we can say for your lack of being able to take a joke.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast