Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2009

S-Works Renegade vs. Small Block 8 (29's)

I've got Renegades on my Stumpy HT. Would Small block 8's roll any better? Quieter on pavement?

thx

bob

mtbr member
    Yes they would just made the switch. But I am going to go back to a S-works Captian for the rear. As the SB8 just wasn't aggressive enough for me.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    weight difference?

thx

Cars Are Evil
    Also check out the Maxxis Ikon

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Vermont29er
    Also check out the Maxxis Ikon

Looks pretty aggressive! Looking for a smooth, quiet rolling tire.

thx

bob

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I have no experience but some people on here say that the Ikon has less rolling resistance than the SB8.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I have both. SB8 is a better all-arounder where considerable pavement is involved. I've run the SB8 for years and it is a consistently good all arounder when its not muddy or soft. I'd be wary of further wearing the already short knobs on the Renegade by riding it for any period of time on the pavement. That being said, the Renegade is FAST and probably more versatile off-road as it can better handle loamy trails and will shed mud much better than the tightly spaced knobs of the SB8. I was very impressed with the Renegade (Pro version) and will definitely choose the uber-light S-Works version for a race tire. Note there is very likely some durability differences between Pro and S-Works versions and the S-Works has very thin side-walls and thin rubber throughout the entire casing. Both seem to mount very well as tubeless on non-UST rims (American Classic, DT, etc.).
    Cheers!

mtbr member
    Kinda off topic..I shreaded up two renegades in the past two weeks, sidewalls ripped wide open. Went to the specialized fast trak. 100 grams heavier than the renegade, came in at 670 grams in the package. Anyone have a weight of the renegade?

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I will buy your renegade's if you would sell them....great race tire for up here, and we can only get the 'control' version.

THX

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    IMO the small block 8s are trash for a 29er tire. They don't have much bite, they pack up at the sight of mud, and the sidewalls are thin. Also not good for setting up tubeless if that's what you are planning.

I'd take a look at the maxxis aspen, crossmark, or ikon. The aspen should be the fastest roller (and has some side knob bite), crossmark should offer a bit more grip but still roll very fast, I don't have any experience with the ikon but it should still be a fast roller.
    Last edited by tiflow_21; 05-11-2011 at 11:15 AM.

mnoutain bkie rdier
    Quote Originally Posted by steelgtr

thx

bob

crossmark perhaps? i didn't like it, but was pretty fast..

1up
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rydbyk
    crossmark perhaps? i didn't like it, but was pretty fast..
    the crossmarks didnt feel fast to me. give the geax barro race tire a try if you want a fast rolling tire with a little more grip than the renegades

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I am running the maxxis aspen in the front and a bontrager xdx in the rear. I just rode them for the first time last night and I can't say that I was too happy with the bontrager but was w/ pretty happy with the aspen. the aspen in front felt plenty fast and was pretty predictable in the corners. As I am still getting used to it, haven't really hit it really hard but I am satisfied for now. The XDX felt good, but I guess i wanted a little more traction in the back. It seemed to give out pretty easy in the corners and I backed off more than I would have liked to because of it. It had ample traction for climbing in the loose and for descending @ 30psi (I am 170). If I was a better, more controlled rider I would like them a lot more - but I am not skilled enough to benefit from what this has to offer.
    I am going to take a look at the 29-3 from bontrager for a rear tire - I think that I will like that a little more, but who knows.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by steelgtr

thx

bob
    Vulpine's

mtbr member
    SB8s get some seriously mixed reviews.

From experience I know that:
    Racing Ralphs
    Fast Trak LK's
    Aspens
    & Crossmarks are fast.

I've heard that:
    Crow/Raven
    Karma 1.9
    Vulpine
    Nano Raptor
    Furious Fred
    & Ikon are all supposed to be fast.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by prcharlie
    Vulpine's

I had those (26er) on my olh Hardrock and loved them. Now that I have a real (light) Bike, I didn't want to get too heavy, The Renegades are super light!

bob

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I am running Renegades right now. S-Works 29 x 1.95. They are great for dry, hard singletrack, but when climbing if there is anything loose, watch out!! I have them at 30 PSI-stan's tubeless on my singlespeed and have been riding them since early april. No flats in about 200 miles of riding.

I have Crossmarks on my geared bike and I'm amazed at how much better they hook up. I'm not sure that weight difference is justified given the lack of traction!

Fast bike-slow rider
    I was running a SB8 for a short time as a rear tire and hated it. I have a set of S-Works Renegades for my race wheels and have found them to be a great tire. I prefer them over the Racing Ralphs that are on my training wheels now. I have also run Ikons and I feel the Ikons are a good balance between the S-Works Renegades and the Ralphs- Ikons are grippier than the Renegades and have a similar volume and ride to the Ralphs. Best of both worlds IMO. When the Ralphs are dead the Ikons will go on my training rims and when the Renegades are done another set of Ikons will go on the race rims. YMMV.
    Jesse
    Salsa El Mariachi Ti

mtbr member
    Interesting to see people's air pressures. I am running my Renegade Sworks 29x1.95's at 27 psi in the rear and a Fastrak LK Control 29x2.0 or Captain Sworks i 29x2.0 in the front at 25 psi. I also run a Stan's Raven in the rear on my training wheels 29x2.2 at 27 in the rear. Don't like the Raven as it just doesn't have much grip even when set at lower pressures. I won't run it on the front's at all.

175 lbs with no rim strikes and it provides better traction with the lower pressure.

What's on your plate?
    Jan 2004
    No love for the Fast Trak LK? I've run a whole bunch of 29'er tires and the Fast Trak LK is my choice for a combination of light, fast rolling, good grip and ease of setting up tubeless. I've got 'em both front and rear on my 29'er hardtail, set up tubeless on XT wheels, about 30 psi front and 35 rear (I prefer higher pressures, but I'm sure they'd work fine lower.) A whole lot cheaper than Schwalbes too. The Small Block Fail is about the most worthless tire I've ever used. You'd be better off just riding directly on the rim.
    Last edited by Earthpig; 06-09-2011 at 12:57 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I was very impressed by the Fast Trak LK. That's a good all around tire. BTW I weigh 195 so 30 PSI is about the lowest I'm comfortable going. No rim strikes here either.

mtbr member

... and if we just ... Tire Weight Question

29er Tire weight questions? Check this handy spreadsheet Meltingfeather rolled up!

29er Tire Weight Spreadsheet

Still rockin the IKONS tubeless front and rear no problems, one minor incident with cactus but Stans did the trick.

Cheers , Leverick
    Leverick

The Older I Get, the Faster I Was...........

mtbr member
    May 2009

Renegade vs Fast Tak LK

Anyone have both?

My renegade showing wear ( a lot of pavement) after 150 miles o so. The little nubs are wearing.

Is the Fast trak more durable? Quieter on pavement, etc?

thx

bob

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    i prefer the renegade of the sb8. seems a good amount faster, gets rid of the mud a little better, more traction than the sb8 also. if i were to do a decent amount of street time i would probably get the sb8 though cause like someone else said i can't imagine the renegade lasting very long on pavement.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by adumb View Post
    i prefer the renegade of the sb8. seems a good amount faster, gets rid of the mud a little better, more traction than the sb8 also. if i were to do a decent amount of street time i would probably get the sb8 though cause like someone else said i can't imagine the renegade lasting very long on pavement.
    How about the fast trak?

bob

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast