mtbr member
    Nov 2004

S and S coupled 29er

I get to travel a bit but this usually means airline fees or the bikes stay at home. I have an XL Dos niner and a El Ray. I can brake down the El Ray but it's still a pretty good size and does not avoid charges.

I am interested in a VERY oversized tubed hardtail steel frame with couplers in place. My custom road bike is made of big FOCO tubing and I love it.
    However, that just seems like a huge soak of cash. I might also like a Salsa El Mariachi and then have the couplers installed. I see indication that I might have to have the frame repainted. The blue El Marichi really appeals to me and I would not want that screwed up. It's also not built of the mammothe steel tubing I am fond of.

Any thoughts?

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Should be plenty of custom builders that would build you a s&s bike in whatever tubing you desire. I have a converted waterford road bike done by bilenky that turned out pretty good but I think having a custom built frame with the couplers would be best. That being said I would let bilenky's do my retrofit again they do good work.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    My wife and I both have bikes with Bilenky retrofits on cheap-o frames (soma and surly) and have been happy with them, though it sounds like what you really want is a custom frame. Any custom builder should be able to do it for you and my guess is that S&S makes couplers for the oversize tubing.

MTB B'dos
    Curtlo does some nice coupled frames, I'd give them a look - very impressed with the roadies my 2 friends have. Only thing for me would be to get the geo tweaked a bit so it's more relaxed along the lines of the Paradox/Yelli.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

the new Gilbert Grape
    I have a Ritchey Break-Away CX bike and prefer this system to the S&S. Steve Potts (and maybe others) are using this system to build bikes. Also Mark Nobilette is using an even cooler (but more expensive) coupling system. Before buying a Salsa and spending the money to retrofit and repaint, I'd look at other options that will get you a custom bike at the same price that you'd end up spending on retrofiting a production bike. (This is true even if you go with the S&S.)

Also, getting my 58cm CX frame into a small box is a tight fit. Getting a "largish" 29er to fit into a box that will go on a airplane is going to be tough. You won't be able to keep air in the tires (so no tubeless system's that require latex), and if you need a long top tube beware that the bike box might need to be over-sized, which will incur larger airline fees.
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    All good information and gives me some direction. Laffeaux has indicated that the couplers may not break the bike down small enough so I will need to research further.

Thanks!