mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Rumor: Trek 140mm Roscoe (like) 29er

Eh the Trek 29er DH thread started this but I think it is deserving of it's own thread....

Quote Originally Posted by Buster
    Might this be a prototype in the foreground of this pic?

Quote Originally Posted by gregg
    I was at the same Trek Tour as the DirtRag and PinkBike guys, so our photos are very similar, but here are a few more shots:

http://reviews.mtbr.com/blog/new-tre...7-dh-bike-and/

The other news is the coming of a new All Mtn 29er from Trek, still in the development stage. Stay tuned!
    Quote Originally Posted by gregg
    There was also some concepts shown for an All Mountain-ish full susser in the 140 mm range. We arenít allowed to show you what we have on this bike, but itís a neweR version Of an older fiSher Completely redOne with bumpEd up rear travel.
    Last edited by MqtRider; 02-07-2011 at 10:52 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    This may be the straw that breaks Fox's back and starts building a 36mm 29er fork. Trek/Fisher can bank roll (with projected OEM purchases) the R & D and tooling costs for Fox to start making them. Albeit it would likely be G2 but they can easily make a normal offset crown which they did for the F29 and the rest of the industry. Time will tell, lets hope it's sooner rather than later

Obviously that picture doesn't show such a thing, probably just a F29 120mm since the bike is still in concept form, if that's even a 29er at all.
    Last edited by MqtRider; 02-07-2011 at 11:08 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    If you look in the background theres a roadwheel leaning at the leg of a table, and all the tables seems to be the same model, and thus height, and the tire on the bike leaning on the table in the foreground has its tread at the same level as the top of the table, so that is pretty sure a 29er at least.
    Rip the bring!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Got Word...2012 is the year.

Got word from a Trek insider (who shall remain nameless) that indeed, we will see a 140mm/5.5" travel Trek/Fisher 29er likely using the tapered 140mm Reba w/ G2 offset and E2 headtube, their Fox DRCV rear shock, and ABP rear pivot. Should be a sick, sick ride and compete with the WFO, T29, Sultan and other long travel 29ers.

I heart bikes!
    It's a Roscoe 29er 140mm travel. My shop just got the 2012 dealer catalog. The bike is legit!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetchiba51 View Post
    It's a Roscoe 29er 140mm travel. My shop just got the 2012 dealer catalog. The bike is legit!
    It is in the catalog, but what your dealer failed to tell you is that it won't be produced till 2013. They produced the catalog before they determined they couldn't make the production schedule for 2012. So it won't be seen for a while. Same think happened to the "slopestyle" bike that Semenuk/McCaul ride. It's at final stage, but couldn't make the 2012 schedule. When stuff's made in Taiwan, you have to give them 8 or more months lead time on production. Just the way things work.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rumor: Trek 140mm Roscoe (like) 29er-img_0500.jpg  

I heart bikes!
    Thats funny. Our rep didn't tell us anything about it either (I work at the shop), and it's not on our dealer website...This is unfortunate, that bike looks fun!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    i love the idea of 140 29er, but the trek design can be cleaner. There is just too much things happening along the main triangle. Wish they can simplify.

But then again, look is only half of it, the other half is how it rides.

Total Goober
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Loll View Post
    But then again, look is only 4% of it, the other 96% is how it rides.
    Fixed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuglio View Post
    You guys suck im all bummed now

Plastic homer
    Space for a bottle cage wouldn't hurt either

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Moval49er View Post
    Space for a bottle cage wouldn't hurt either
    Bottle cage? What are those?
    Fat guys need bikes too.

_
    Mar 2004
    not a fan.

I don't climb, I walk
    Nov 2009
    Do you have any more detailed specs?

Were you sitting on the toilet when you took that pic?

Birthday Collector
    The new tires that Trek/Bontrager had at Trekworld were one of the more exciting things I saw - the new Rumblefish looked pretty burly with the new 29" treads on it - the Roscoe will be starting to approach being a large-hoop huck machine. FWIW the Superfly 100 was a magic-carpet ride over roots and still felt great in the tight turns between the trees. My carcass is getting a bit too old to do what I could do on a 140mm travel 29" - but that doesn't mean I'd have fun watching some younger and more "bounceable" person put one through it's paces.... Lotsa nice looking 29" FS bikes this year. Dealer Camp and Trekworld were both fun as well as exercises in trying to decide what bike(s) I'd want to own, and buy for the shop. 2012 will be a good year for 29" FS it looks like.
    R.I.P. Corky 10/97-4/09
    Disclaimer: I sell and repair bikes for a living
    http://www.endlesscyclesonline.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Wish they would make a Fuel EX 29er!

I hate that name.
    Quote Originally Posted by tomass15 View Post
    Wish they would make a Fuel EX 29er!
    They do, it's called a Rumblefish
    Worked at Trek/Fisher dealer 2008-2013. Only a little biased.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by blunderbuss View Post
    They do, it's called a Rumblefish
    I have a 2010 Rumblefish and it's suspension is not on par with what my Fuel EX had, not even close. Maybe I should say a 29er with the Full Floater shock mount of the Fuel EX.

mtbr member
    More Pics of the catalog!!

HiFi/Rumblefish stuff!!

I hate that name.
    Quote Originally Posted by tomass15 View Post
    I have a 2010 Rumblefish and it's suspension is not on par with what my Fuel EX had, not even close. Maybe I should say a 29er with the Full Floater shock mount of the Fuel EX.
    I was kidding more than anything, but seriously, I do think they ride VERY similarly. You know, opinions and all.
    Worked at Trek/Fisher dealer 2008-2013. Only a little biased.

Trail Ninja
    I like my SF100 and love its fit, handling, balance, general performance, but want something stiffer, stouter, and with more travel! I'm noticing fork flex, rear stay flex, and BB flex now, riding it at its limits. Something like a Roscoe is definitely on my list to check out. Too bad it's delayed for '13. Maybe Yeti will have a SB95 by then that will sway me.

I actually just took my SF100 to a lift served mountain (Big Bear) today for the first time (3rd time at Big Bear, 1st with this bike) and made sure I was padded up for the inevitable crashes! It actually did impressively well. I just need to change my front tire to something less XC (it was an Ikon) next time. With that one change, I'd actually ride Big Bear with it instead of my Reign X or ASR7, honestly (maybe it's time to sell those). 29er wheels definitely made a huge difference.
    Last edited by Varaxis; 08-13-2011 at 11:36 PM.

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by Varaxis View Post
    I like my SF100 and love its fit, handling, balance, general performance, but want something stiffer, stouter, and with more travel! I'm noticing fork flex, rear stay flex, and BB flex now, riding it at its limits. Something like a Roscoe is definitely on my list to check out. Too bad it's delayed for '13. Maybe Yeti will have a SB95 by then that will sway me.

I actually just took my SF100 to a lift served mountain (Big Bear) today for the first time (3rd time at Big Bear, 1st with this bike) and made sure I was padded up for the inevitable crashes! It actually did impressively well. I just need to change my front tire to something less XC (it was an Ikon) next time. With that one change, I'd actually ride Big Bear with it instead of my Reign X or ASR7, honestly (maybe it's time to sell those). 29er wheels definitely made a huge difference.
    Wow that's a change in tune, Liking the 29er more these days ?

Trail Ninja
    Nah, more or less praising G2 geo and wanting to try out a Trek 29er incarnation of AM in this flavor, especially with forks getting beefed up more.

Basically, I'm 5' 7" with on a bike with a 45+" wheelbase with 4" of travel. My stem is a 50mm stem. My hands feel behind the front axle enough to give me a sort of a raked out front wheel feel, and the stays are long enough behind me to give me a certain 55/45 balance Rear/Fr weight distro that I prefer over a more rearward biased bike like the Reign X (65/35 R/F?). AM bikes have the same wheelbase, but mine turns really quick with no wheel flop. I feel I corner better on this than on the Reign X.

I was actually there for a big demo event and I threw my leg over a number of bikes from Intense (including the Carbine), Santa Cruz, Turner, and Ellsworth. Saw the new Ellswoth Method proto FR bike, but someone else had it claimed. Most of the XC bikes were left and I didn't get to ride anything big, but nothing really impressed me. Not even the Carbine.

Edit: Woops, left out that that it has a 23.5" ETT. I typically like the longer ETT and shorter stem combo that Gary Fishers and Yetis have. If the ASR7 didn't have such a weight penalty (32 lbs as I have it setup) and high CG, I'd like it more.

I keep finding out how versatile the SF100 is the harder I push it. Compared to a 575 that I rode in the Catskills, the SF100 feels more capable, lighter, and more agile. Surprising, considering it's supposed to be an XC race bike.
    Last edited by Varaxis; 08-14-2011 at 02:55 PM.