Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Oops, sorry, long day.
    No, the inverted fork will not come on the Mutant. It's meant for 4in fat bike tires and 135mm front spacing.
    The Mutant will only be available with the 2 forks shown above (100mm travel and carbon rigid)
    RSD Bikes - Sales - www.rsdbikes.com
    We`re slow at updating our site - facebook

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I think I understand. So you will be selling the Mutant with an unbranded suspension fork that you don't want to/can't disclose the maker of? We will assume the fork is not made by Rockshox, Fox, Manitou, or any of the big players?
    Noogie...Noogie...Noogie.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Slow Danger View Post
    I think I understand. So you will be selling the Mutant with an unbranded fork that you don't want to/can't disclose the maker of? We will assume the fork is not made by Rockshox, Fox, Manitou, or any of the big players?
    And as an edit to this post above, do you have a picture of the Mutant suspension fork, in the flesh, that demonstrates how well the Knard and 47mm fits for clearance. I'm really trying to help you out here because a lot of folks will be interested in knowing more about that fork.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Thanks.It's appreciated. these are the only 2 shots we have that might show the clearance.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails RSD Bikes 29er +-2014-01-11-13.31.49.jpg  

RSD Bikes 29er +-2014-01-11-13.41.44.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Well, when you get one of those forks in your hands, will you take a picture of it with your RSD 29+ wheels in it so folks will be able to get a better idea. In other words, a non-studio pic showing clearance whenever you can. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    See pictures above. It fits perfectly. Will shoot a few more today

mtbr member
    Is the chromed 853 going to be a production option?

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    It's not chromed, it's silver. It should have been raw.
    Yes, we will add raw as a colour option

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    close-ups
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails RSD Bikes 29er +-2014-01-13-15.34.03.jpg  

RSD Bikes 29er +-2014-01-13-15.34.20.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Frantiklex View Post
    close-ups
    Much better. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Nice...Roland Sands Designs (RSD) is making bicycles now.
    The LPG

mtbr member

RSD Bikes 29er +

So where can I get that fork?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    142mm rear?
    no 135 option until when?
    If steel is real then aluminium is supercallafragiliniun!

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    2 different companies

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Contact your LBS and ask them to place an order for you.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    most likely until late summer or early fall

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Slow Danger View Post
    Edit: I first saw this company over in the fat bikes thread. Learned that they have frames coming out in 4130 Chromoly, and Reynolds 853. They are also having handmade USA built frames for sale. As I understand it, the frames for the 29+, Mutant, and the regular 29er, Chief, are the same. Only the builds are different. Great value on the dollar. Looks like RSD is delivering a lot of what folks have to go to a custom builder to get. Hope RSD can come through and deliver on what looks like nice bikes. I like it when folks from the bike companies come on threads and answer questions posed directly by users, which RSD did a nice job of over in the fat bike forums. Maybe this RSD post is a little spammy, but I wouldn't hold it against them.

In case anyone is interested, there is also another thread here: RSD bike anyone?
    have to agree. Its a great looking bike but some might look at this as spam

the mountian is within
    Nov 2004
    This is some fine looking stuff! I say,maybe a little spamy,but I would not have heard of them this soon with out this! A freakin' suspension fork with clearance? Sign me up! We are going to check on being dealers-I love the underdogs and small innovators!
    i own a bikeshop in WV thetruewheelwv.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by lancelot View Post
    Nice...Roland Sands Designs (RSD) is making bicycles now.
    I'm sure Roland's attorney's are going to take issue with a bike company named "RSD". I have no affiliation with RSD (Roland) other than having used RSD/Performance Machine parts on Harley builds in the past...

Back on topic... The more small bike companies, the better in my opinion. I tend to give my business to the smaller brands when I can and bikes and components are no different. That being said, I don't think the RSD rep is doing himself or his company any favors by providing vague responses or ignoring some of the questions with regard to the forks. Launch when you are ready to launch... As someone who has started a number of companies, launching too early, creating buzz and then not being able to deliver usually doesn't work out.
    Last edited by MostChillin; 01-15-2014 at 09:28 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Just speculation here, but the fork is probably made by some large Chinese company and it can/will be re-branded by RSD or someone else. Just like the Carver fat suspension fork.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    It's not a trademark/copyright infringement if the companies are in different industries. How many different companies are named "American"?

mtbr member
    Spam or not spam, copyright infringement or not copyright infringement... I'm just excited to see:

1. A new Canadian bike company giving it a go
    2. An option for a made in USA steel frame
    3. A new 29+ frame option.
    4. A 29+ suspension fork.

My hats off to them for giving it a go.

An RSD 29+ 853 bike is right there on my list as an affordable replacement for the stolen Blacksheep.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by jnroyal View Post
    It's not a trademark/copyright infringement if the companies are in different industries. How many different companies are named "American"?
    Not even remotely true. Clearly my infringement comments were not well received. They were not meant to be provocative but as someone who has been infringed upon in the past (and won) I take it seriously. I think if you are a business owner and found yourself in a similar situation, you may feel differently about the topic...

Moving onto more important things... I 100% support start-up companies such as RSD Bikes -- and go out of my way (and spend more money) when they are from the U.S. or Canada. I really like the options that RSD offers and am hoping them all of the success early-on and in the future.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    As a Krampus lover I'm also stoked to see another 29+ manufacturer out there (just wish Maxxis would make a 29x3 Ardent!).

Interesting that the frames are made in the USA but sold out of Canada. I think Cervelo used to do that many years ago but that seems to be pretty rare, seems the shipping/taxes would kill you but maybe NAFTA makes that easier.

Regarding anyone confusing the motorcycle apparel and accessories manufacturer Roland Sands Designs in the US with bicycle manufacturer Rubber Side Down in Canada, I won't argue but would recommend anyone interested do their own research to see what kind of legal precedents exist.

You Can't Turn Bicycles Into Wine: Trek Bicycle's Trademark Lawsuit Against Trek Winery Dismissed | Techdirt

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Just in case there is any confusion, RSD has 3 frames being made in 29+. Two are being made overseas: one in Chromo and the other in Reynolds 853. For those who want a USA made frame, they will have one available in 853. When I asked RSD about it, the answer I got was both the overseas 853 and the USA 853 were identical with the exception of where they were built.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast