mtbr member

New question here. Rocky Mountain Trailhead vs GT Karakoram 2.0 vs Airborne Guaradian

I plan on riding about 90% road/bike path and 10% trail.

6ft tall and 195lbs

1) I was initially leaning more to cyclocross for speed and distance, but enjoyed the upright feel and smooth ride of the 29er ride on the street/sidewalks...took these both for a test ride at my preferred LBS.

57cm on sale for $800:
    Bikes | Road | Cyclocross | SOLO CX

18.5 inch on sale for $850
    Bikes | Mountain | XC Hardtail | TRAILHEAD 29''

2) For about the same price I could get the GT Karakoram 2.0 at my local performance bike shop. Me being a total noob, I couldn't tell the difference when riding compared to the Trailhead 29er. But has a cooler paint job! ha!
    2012 GT Karakoram 2.0 29er Mountain Bike - Mountain Bikes

3) And just to make it more confusing the third option of the Airborne Guardian shipped+built at my LBS would come out around to the same price too. But no test ride for this option, so fit would be in question.
    Airborne Bicycles. Guardian

mtbr member

Cool-blue Rhythm Forked!

Looks like the Rocky Mountain has a Recon Silver TK $350
    Recon Silver TK | SRAM

and

the other two have XC 28 TK Mg29 $150
    XC 28 TK Mg 29" | SRAM

So this is a difference...which means the boring looking RM gets an advantage if a more expensive fork means "better".

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Go for the Rocky Mountain- the components are about equal to the Airborne and better than the GT. And the stock fork is superior to either of the other bikes as the previous poster pointed out.