mtbr member
    May 2015

Rocky Mountain Instinct C50 (or Ripley LS!)...

About to jump into a new bike, and I've narrowed it down to the Instinct C50 and Ripley LS. Based on my research, here's how I would compare them. I have demo'd the Ripley on local trails and loved it, but I can get the Instinct for almost $1k less. No demo on the Instinct yet, my local dealer doesn't offer any.

Instinct | Rocky Mountain Bicycles

https://www.ibiscycles.com/bikes/ripley_ls/

Components:
    -Both bikes have Eagle GX drivetrain and Fox Performance suspension.
    -Instinct C50 only has carbon front triangle, Ripley full carbon.
    -Ripley has 120/130mm travel with DW link, arguably the best design to date, but Instinct has 140mm front and rear
    -Ripley's Ibis alloy wheel set (everyone seems to like them, 35mm width) vs Instinct's Sun Durocs (not much information on them, slightly narrower at 30mm width).
    -Both bikes capable of up to 2.6" 29" tire.
    -Instinct has flip chip and 27.5" compatible (not a big deal for me as I plan to stick with 29").
    -Instinct has Sram Level TL brakes vs Ripley's Shimano Deore.
    -Ripley available in Vitamin P (it's growing on me) vs Instinct available in Orange/green (it's growing on me).

Both are great climbers and descenders, the Ripley probably a little better up, the Instinct a little better down.

Ibis has 7-year warranty vs Rocky's 5-year.

My local trails:
    -northern rockies, so typical rides include about 2000-4000' climbing and 15-30 miles, everything from soft flowy forest trails to rocky, rooty, and/or loose gravel. Minimal xc racing, probably do 1 or 2 adventure races each year for fun. Mostly AM rides or after work with friends. I'll pop off little bumps in the trail, but my jumping days are over. Nothing more than a couple foot drop here and there. Really just like to ride fast.

So should I go with the Instinct or the Ripley? I know I like the Ripley, I've ridden it, but is the extra $1k worth it over the C50 Instinct (better brakes, wheels, full carbon vs partial, warranty)? Is the Ripley going to be as fun on the downhill or am I really going to give up a lot in terms of downhill prowess?

Thanks.
    Last edited by Old_Cannondales; 2 Weeks Ago at 12:48 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    no ride no buy--my advice----I am sure the instinct is a good bike but I have the same issue---no way to demo. For me there are simply to many folks on the forum that have bought the wrong bike or the wrong size-and no one can tell you which will be more fun for you.

You will get all sorts of advice on how great the bike they own is----you will also get folks not reading your post and suggesting other bikes---from my perspective all these opinions makes it more important to demo--a one day demo is not ideal but better than buying from advice

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    You have it pinned to two killer bikes and honestly I don't think you can go wrong with either one.
    The DW link is an amazing design and really helps the climbs. The Instinct smoothlink is no slouch either though! I've owned a few Rockys and I'm a fanboy, love the way their suspension feels, just make sure you setup the pressure correct for your weight.

If you plan on owning the bike for more than 5 years, the Ripely's warranty would win out, but other than that, they both rip.

The big difference I see is the price you can get the Instinct for (that's a really good deal) and the extra $1k could go a long way into person upgrades or even a trip somewhere with the new ride. All things considered given your situation I don't see an extra $1k worth in value going with the Ripely for what you get with the Rocky (again fanboy hear).

My 2cents, please let us know what you decide (and pics!)

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Sound advice by everyone so far, I've ridden the Ripley for two days on local trails and came away with a big smile on my face. I know at the very least I would have to upgrade brakes on the Instinct, and probably wheels too based on what I've read about people bending them easily. That evens the price out a little more, and given my actual time riding the Ripley, makes it the clear right answer.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    I have a Ripley LS and love it but the instinct seems like a lot of bike for the money.....I bought mine without a test ride, but would recommend one if possible. On the other hand, you know you like the Ripley...doubt you can go wrong either way

Ibis Ripley LS x01 Factory

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    2017 Ibis Ripley LS Factory X01

mtbr member
    I have an LS and have been looking at Instincts lately. I really like my Ibis but am looking for a little more travel.

I would get the Rocky and sell the brakes, wheels and shock as new take-offs. Take the money you get from selling the parts and the price difference from the Ibis and get buy the brakes of your choice, a Fox DPS2 rear shock and a nice set of Chinese carbon wheels.

You will come out ahead $$ wise and have a great bike.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdrunk View Post
    I have an LS and have been looking at Instincts lately. I really like my Ibis but am looking for a little more travel.

I would get the Rocky and sell the brakes, wheels and shock as new take-offs. Take the money you get from selling the parts and the price difference from the Ibis and get buy the brakes of your choice, a Fox DPS2 rear shock and a nice set of Chinese carbon wheels.

You will come out ahead $$ wise and have a great bike.
    Have you ridden the new Instinct yet? Wondering how it compares to the Ripley in climbing and small bump compliance.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Comes down to 2 things:

- Cost? Almost all new bike IMO require some tweaking at tocuh points (Saddle, bars, stem, tires), if you pull trigger on Ripley do you still have budget for required tweaks?

Assuming yes see below:

- What do you ride now on what type of terrain? If completley satisfied with current bike and this is a second just wait until you get deal you want on Ripley or can test ride the Instinct. If don't want to wait you know you like the Ripley pull the trigger.

In general IMO experienced riders should have some sort of ride time or really good reviews on a bike, newer riders not so much. All riders need to be prepared to tweak fit and touch points for their style terrain (that being said last bike I purchased was a Riply LS frame and just pulled trigger no ride time, was confident on geo and tons of reviews out there though)
    Last edited by HEMIjer; 6 Days Ago at 09:12 AM. Reason: typos
    XC, Road, XXC, Endurance, Mtn, All-Mtn, Cross, Gravel, just go have fun on 2 wheels!