mtbr member
    Jul 2010

Rocky Mountain Flare 29 2012 for wife?

Hi,
    what do u guys think about the entry level flare29 for my wife as first bike?
    The retail is 599.00 and seem a pretty good bike for a new rider.
    I m thinking to get the bike and eventually uograde the fork, maybe wheels in the future.
    anybody have one?
    thanks

Bite Me.
    Quote Originally Posted by italianbike74 View Post
    Hi,
    what do u guys think about the entry level flare29 for my wife
    Sounds like a fair trade.
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    Its "ok" for the price but I wish there were manufacturers who sold in north america who still used a decent rigid fork instead of a cheap model suspension fork on their entry-level bikes. Then they wouldn't have to skimp on all the other components to get a suspension fork that isn't that great. Honestly you could probably build a better bike for your wife from scratch for $600.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Hi,
    yes I know , you are right , the Sontour fork is cheap but for the price of the bike all in all I think it s a great value especially as her first real mountainbike .
    I don t think that fork is going to last very long anyway, I may replace it with a Marzocchi 44 29, by the way do you know if I can install a tapered fork on a regolar 1 1/8 headtube?
    thanks

Did I catch a niner?
    No you can not install a tapered on a standard 1 1/8 headtube.
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?
    https://www.dollarshaveclub.com/ref/...A0CC/s/tx/cx/1

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    ok thanks.
    About the SR Suntour fork, I noticed that almost all the bike companys at that price range ($ 600) use the same model fork. That makes me think that if Giant, Specialized,Kona....etc are using those forks for their frames they must to be pretty reliable ( of corse for light and recreational use)
    What do you guys think?
    thanks

bi-winning
    I'll start off by saying, all bikes at this price point will have a few weak spots.

I'm really not happy with Rocky' putting Promax brakes on these. Not really a "trail rated" product IMHO. Other than that, it seems to be an acceptable entry level bike.

Depending on the intended usage, the Kenda K 892 (29x1.95) tires might not be appropriate. They look like they would be fine for some road, crushed gravel, and hardpacked trails, but the low volume and tight tread would not lead to great performance on rougher or wet trails.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    So you are saying that those Promax breakes are pretty chep. And what do you think about the frame? I m thinking to eventually replace fork,tires etc and use as a second bike (I have some spare parts here and there) if my wife wont use it. IS that frame woth of a nice pair of STAns wheels, Marzocchi 44 ti, shimano xt breaks etc? . Can that frame handle normal xc/trail use with some good quality components?
    thanks

bi-winning
    So you are saying that those Promax breakes are pretty chep. And what do you think about the frame? I m thinking to eventually replace fork,tires etc and use as a second bike (I have some spare parts here and there) if my wife wont use it. IS that frame woth of a nice pair of STAns wheels, Marzocchi 44 ti, shimano xt breaks etc? . Can that frame handle normal xc/trail use with some good quality components?
    thanks
    The 2011 Flare (26) had some Promax brakes, mated to some cheap levers, and I was very disappointed with them.

I have not seen or ridden the 2012 29ers, so I can't really comment on the frame.

Do you already have those parts (wheels, fork, brakes, etct)? Whenever somebody proposes upgrades that double or triple the the worth of the bike, I tend to ask myself if there is a better way to get to the end result.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    yes,
    I complitly agree with you about put same very nice components on a entry level frame.
    Just my wife wants to try mountainbiking and she has been asking me to get her a bike,
    but I don t want to spend a lot of money without knowing first if she is going to like it or not. So Im thinking to get her a decent frame/bike ( flare 29) and if she is not goig to use it
    get it set up for me and use as a back up bike or a chippo bike for training.
    One more thing, she is 5 1 . Is she tall enough for a small 29 frame?
    thanks

bi-winning
    One more thing, she is 5 1 . Is she tall enough for a small 29 frame?
    thanks
    It's tough to fit somebody to a bike over the internet, especially when Rocky lists the standover height as "N/A."

I'd anticipate a 15.5" frame could yield a comfortable riding position (perhaps with some cockpit tweaks), though there likely won't be a lot of standover clearance with the straight top tube.

Be sure you actively include your wife in the buying process.

Shorthills Cycling Club

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I'm a little late to the conversation, but how about a specialized myka ht?