mtbr member
    Apr 2008

RockShox Tora Race or Manitou Drake 29er

I've decided to put a squishy on my rigid 29er and have narrowed it down to these two mainly due to price. Does anyone have experience with either of these two?

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Hi there,

Although I haven't ridden any of these two forks I do think RockShox do great forks and I'm aware that the 2010 Specialized Rockhopper 29er is sporting the Tora fork. Personally I would try and get a Reba 09 fork, there should be some great bargains if you look hard enough.

Happy riding.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Tora for me, the Marz 44 29er fork which you can drop to 100mm might be worth thinking about to because there cheap and seem to be liked.

Manitou wise, Minutes and Nixon's are good forks but the rest are just awful so I'd expect similar.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I run the Tora race. I have been very happy with it. My buddy has an 07 Reba, that I've rode several times, and like the Tora just as well. BTW I picked mine up new on Ebay for 200.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Turveyd
    Tora for me, the Marz 44 29er fork which you can drop to 100mm might be worth thinking about to because there cheap and seem to be liked.

Manitou wise, Minutes and Nixon's are good forks but the rest are just awful so I'd expect similar.
    The Drake is basically identical to the Minute except that it has a heavier coil spring instead of the Minute's air spring. So far the reviews have been good; some even liked the Drake better than the Minute but YMMV

Personally I have a Tora and it has been a great fork. Very reliable, very stiff in terms of unwanted flex, and the Motion Control damper works very well. It is heavy though, almost a half pound heavier than the Drake IIRC

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I have a Minute and a Drake. Great forks for sure. If you're on a budget, you cannot go wrong with the Drake; especially at the price Jenson us selling them for. I have no experience with the Tora. By all accounts, they are excellent forks as well.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by pulsepro
    I have a Minute and a Drake. Great forks for sure. If you're on a budget, you cannot go wrong with the Drake; especially at the price Jenson us selling them for. I have no experience with the Tora. By all accounts, they are excellent forks as well.
    I had a Minute fork last year on another bike and one of the things I didn't like was when locked out it made a weird clink sound and felt harsh, does the Drake react the same or is it different considering it has a different spring type? In contrast, I've ridden a Tora fork on a 26" bike and when locked out it gave a little when I went over something.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by djembe975
    I had a Minute fork last year on another bike and one of the things I didn't like was when locked out it made a weird clink sound and felt harsh, does the Drake react the same or is it different considering it has a different spring type? In contrast, I've ridden a Tora fork on a 26" bike and when locked out it gave a little when I went over something.
    I too had that experience on a Drake - a little harsh and clunky. That said, I really, really liked the fork - it was stiff, plush enough and good fun overall. Oddly enough I ended up doing a swap with a friend for a Tora.

I like the Toras, but they do clunk on the top out a bit and are very heavy. Super smooth though... sometimes it's hard to distinguish them from Rebas.

I think either'd be ok? I guess the Manitou is more sophisticated in terms of damping etc, but I've had a great run with Rockshox for reliability etc.

locked - time out
    I love my Tora. It works well. It's light, quiet, trouble free. After one year of hard pounding it has not leaked anything. I filled up the air once and it has yet to be refilled.

Never Satisfied...
    Jan 2009
    I had a Tora Race on my Redline Mono-9.... Only reason I sold it was that the steer tube was cut too short to fit my Voodoo Canzo....

Not the lightest fork, but it does the job well and the Solo-Air works very well!

I say "Do it"...........

ZombieFood
    Sep 2008
    I dont have info on the Manitou but I do have a Tora Race.

When I first got my Gary Fisher Cobia someone sold me a Fox F29 RLC from his Superfly. For the money I couldn't pass it up. I rode that for about a year but needed some one one day so I sold it and put the Tora Race back on.

Sure its a little heavier but I am not a weight weenie by any stretch. Maybe a lb heavier.

Anyway I can honestly say It is as plush and smooth as the Fox was and its very nice. Not as adjustable as the Fox but it turns out all I had to do is sag it and I find myself not needed to adjust. It seriously rides that nice.

Only drawback is it makes a little hiss won the upstroke when I has the rebound slow.

My opinion. you cant go wrong on the Tora.

mtbr member
    Much like you, I was happy with my rigid 29er until I hit some good trails, then I decided to go squishy. I did my research and ended up with a Tora Race from my LBS that had just changed owners, so I got a great price on it ($220). However, right now it is back at RockShox because something was wrong with the air system and it made a clicking noise and didn't rebound correctly. I brought it in to the LBS and they contacted RockShox, who said that the shop could send it back and they would replace the defective parts. We'll see how it rides when I get it back, but even with the noise and reduced responsiveness, I was happy with it.

I'd say the Tora is an excellent bet for the money. The Reba is obviously going to be better in a lot of ways, but you'll pay for that. If you're just in the market for a little suspension on a budget, definitely go for the Tora, especially if you can find it real cheap (of course).

SpecRH
    May 2009
    Maybe one of you guys can help me out with my tora question????

i just bought a 2010 rockhopper expert, and i was immediately not a fan of the Dart 3 fork. HOWEVER, i got my old fork off of my hardrock before trade in.

My question is will the 130mm rockshock tora 318 air work without damaging the rockhopper. Im a solid 240 pounds, and im actually kinda nervous about cracking my frame with the extended travel of the 318. It is exceptionally plush though. Also will it be too lightweight in the front with the 318's extended travel?

anyone had any experience with this fork on a rockhopper??

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Rockhoppers meant for 100mm isn't it roughly, you can run 10mm's more sag so it's +20mm's really it'll likely ride fine, 1degree slacker angles, higher BB slightly which is normally a good thing for Spesh's anyway.

If you look at the entire length of the fork, 20mm's more really, really isn't that much.

But you may struggle climbing as it'll push your weight back, so seat forward and bars forward might be required to tame this.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeeper006
    Maybe one of you guys can help me out with my tora question????

i just bought a 2010 rockhopper expert, and i was immediately not a fan of the Dart 3 fork. HOWEVER, i got my old fork off of my hardrock before trade in.

My question is will the 130mm rockshock tora 318 air work without damaging the rockhopper. Im a solid 240 pounds, and im actually kinda nervous about cracking my frame with the extended travel of the 318. It is exceptionally plush though. Also will it be too lightweight in the front with the 318's extended travel?

anyone had any experience with this fork on a rockhopper??
    Personally I would not run that much travel, and it may void your warranty too (not sure).

But, the Tora can be easily converted to 100mm or 80mm with some dissasembly and adding a plastic spacer. Same process as for the Reba if you want to search , or a bike shop should be able to do it for ~$30