mtbr member
    Jan 2013

Rockshox SID RL 29

I know everyone has their favorite brand and shock and everything. I tried to look up some reviews on here about the Rockshox SID SL 29, but everyone always talks about 3 other shocks too and it kinda trails off of the original ones in question. Basically I wanted to know if anyone has or had experience with a Rockshox SID RL 29 and could give me their opinion. I'm looking to pick up one now for $350 which I think is a good price and just want to make sure I should shell out some extra cash and get a different fork all together. thanks

davidcarson48
    I'm happy with mine on my Anthem. Solid, flex free with the 15mm TA, and pretty light. It is a firm fork...my older Fox felt plusher, but I like the firm feel.

Trail Junkie
    I don't have any direct experience with the RL model, but I do have an XX, and I understand the differences between the models. All SID Forks utilize the same dampening system and characteristic. So they will all characteristically ride the same.

The difference between the RL and the RLT is the RLT has an external floodgate adjustment, but have pushlock remote available.
    The RCT3 adds Full open, platform, and lockout modes.
    The XX utilizes Blackbox Technology with titanium bits, titanium spring, and X-Loc hydraulic lockout system (subtract RCT3 functions. The WC is essentially the XX but with a Carbon Steer tube, and Carbon crown.

Even the RL being the lowest model in the series, it is still the highest line of XC forks that Rockshox makes, and is the most basic model in terms of features.

I personally really like the SID and the older Rebas (team, RLT-Ti). They play into my riding style really well. They ride stiffer (not as openly plush as a Fox) which exhibits less bob when I am standing. Something I do a lot on my SS, and also my FS because I run 1x10. The travel is smooth and linear and I never notice that I am using as much travel as my o-ring indicates. One of the biggest pro's of the newer Rockshox forks (2009+) is the addition to the "Powerbulge" which makes the forks a bit more stiffer, and reliability. They are very reliable forks and aren't as maintenance need (from my experience) as a Fox.

I still prefer my SID XX over my Rockshox Reba RLT-Ti and Team model (they are the same, and I have both). The biggest difference is the X-Loc which I absolutely love for climbing and flats on my SS. The only thing I don't like about the SID is it is the last year they did the Dual-Air which has a significantly smaller neg. blatter, so when you add air, or adjust the air pressure, it ramps up very quickly which is harder to precisely dial in. All my Rockshox forks (5) have performed flawlessly even with neglected maintenance intervals, and I have not perceived any degradation in performance since the day I bought them.
    Last edited by dubdryver; 01-25-2013 at 02:59 PM.
    Santa Cruz Tallboy carbon
    Lynskey Pro29 SL SS
    Cervelo S2 Ultegra
    Salsa Selma
    Soul Cycle Dillinger Gen3