New Rider
    Oct 2010

Rock Shox at Walmart?

So my wife and I are wandering around Wal-Mart the other day and I decide to walk through the bike section. That's where I see a 29er made by Pacific with a Rock Shox fork. So my question is, Is Wal-mart stepping up, or does Rock Shox make a lower end shock for box bikes?

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Lower end stuff

New Rider
    Oct 2010
    thanks for the clarification.

get down!
    The new decals look like they are for a Wal Mart bike...it makes perfect sense now
    Rudy Projects look ridiculous

visit my blog, BEATS, BIKES & LIFE

New Rider
    Oct 2010
    i tried to post a picture of the bike, but the site won't let me until i post 10 new threads.

US Army Vet-Airborne 11B
    Well hurry up and post two more...must see this atrocity
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '14 Surly Troll

New Rider
    Oct 2010
    Testing

New Rider
    Oct 2010
    Test #2

New Rider
    Oct 2010
    Uploaded with ImageShack.us" width="549">

SSolo, on your left!
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by longhaultrucker View Post
    Well hurry up and post two more...must see this atrocity
    Yup, thanks to OP for pic....lol on an Ironhorse who'd a thunk.
    Get off the couch and ride!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Maybe the guy that claimed the 29er tires they sell are exactly the same as big name offerings will come here and claim this is just as good as any other rock shox.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    No need to get snobby.
    "Bikes aren't fast--people are fast. Bikes are overpriced. It's an important distinction."---BikeSnob NYC

Alaskan in exile.
    What? There was a Rock Shox product in that picture? All I could see was the color scheme on the bike in the background...
    nanook93
    Ride what you like, like what you ride.

On wuss patrol
    Don't know much about the quality of W-Mart level Rockshox components but I sure see some hipster potential in that bike behind the IH.
    Sometimes, you need to go fast enough that the trail is a blur to find clarity. -- Wild Bill

What?
    My wife and I saw that same bike there. We couldnt stop laughing because the rear shock has a fake plastic piggyback on it. You can kinda see it in your picture.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nanook93 View Post
    All I could see was the color scheme on the bike in the background...
    The yellow rim/blue tire and blue rim/yellow tire is kinda eye catching, do ya think they glow in the dark? I was thinking the same for my roadie until they STOLE my idea

mtbr member
    Jan 2011

Rear Shock:

Does the rear shock have reservoir?

US Army Vet-Airborne 11B
    Quote Originally Posted by Natedogz View Post
    Yup, thanks to OP for pic....lol on an Ironhorse who'd a thunk.
    LOL,IDK...I've seen Iron Horse (this past week even) at Sears,never Wal-Mart though. Still,I'd much rather come across someone on trail in need of a hand with a repair on one of these than not see em riding I just hope SRAM/RS/Truvativ doesn't go the way of Mongoos/Schwinn
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '14 Surly Troll

mtbr member
    Rock Shox does have low end stuff just like everyone else....I would actually trust it more than some of the Suntour stuff I see.on the entry level bike shop's offerings.
    '12 Trek Marlin Signature Green
    '13 Santa Cruz Tallboy LT Gulf Blue/Orange

US Army Vet-Airborne 11B
    Yeah,me too-good point
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '14 Surly Troll

mtbr member
    that entry level fork will get things done for beginners. Kind of surprised a walmart bike has that.

but.... their description. must be some new type of fork. rock shock.:

Iron Horse 29" Men's Sinister 6.5 Mountain Bike:
    Mountain bike
    Aluminum 29" full suspension frame with Rock Shock XC28 for maximum shock absorbing performance
    Ahead stem with MTB riser bars creates a more controlled riding position
    Shimano 24 speed trigger shifters with Shimano rear derailleur for quick, efficient gear changes
    Front and rear HL disc brakes provide high-performance stopping power
    Alloy crank set 42/32/22 with platform pedals
    Dual sided lock on handlebar grips
    Assembly required
    Dimensions: 76"L x 31"W x 39.5"H

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by longhaultrucker View Post
    I just hope SRAM/RS/Truvativ doesn't go the way of Mongoos/Schwinn
    Hey, Mongoose and Schwinn are owned by the same company as GT.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by djataxic View Post
    Uploaded with ImageShack.us" width="549">
    it looks like the name on the downtube is upside down.
    ...not a typical wal mart oversight.

roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

US Army Vet-Airborne 11B
    Quote Originally Posted by recitio View Post
    Uh....yeah,duh (that means I know that,just didn't think I needed to mention all three,among others )
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '14 Surly Troll

On wuss patrol
    Quote Originally Posted by recitio View Post
    And Cannondale
    Sometimes, you need to go fast enough that the trail is a blur to find clarity. -- Wild Bill

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by nanook93 View Post
    What? There was a Rock Shox product in that picture? All I could see was the color scheme on the bike in the background...
    I saw this photo last night, and then just today at work I saw one of those green bikes with the blue rim / yellow tire & yellow rim / blue tire locked to a pole outside of work.
    To ride this trail is completely free.
    Just show me a triangle..... make it three!

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Just as a matter of principle all consumers should boycott Walmart stores. They are a blight on humanity.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by pulga View Post
    Does the rear shock have reservoir?
    Thats the stash compartment. Or, if it's purchased by somebody that just lost his license, it can be filled with an emergency shot of liquor.

mtbr member
    That's a pretty kick ass Ahead Stem.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I actually have that green bike- except it's in black with yellow handlebars and rims with red tires and grips. Got it because I needed something besides my expensive XC racer and road trainer for pulling my daughter on grocery runs with my wife. Cost $100 and has put up with 1200 miles according to Garmin since I got it in March. It's horribly overgeared though for a fixie or singlespeed. Makes going uphill with a 1 year old and a full load of groceries great for training lol.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by GrantB View Post
    No need to get snobby.
    Why not?
    2007 Cdale Caffeine 29er Lefty.
    "Your not going to shove you're proper grammer down are throats!!"

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by stepitup_onenotch View Post
    Just as a matter of principle all consumers should boycott Walmart stores. They are a blight on humanity.
    Just wait until they open their medical centers to accept Obamacare. Think I'm kidding?
    2007 Cdale Caffeine 29er Lefty.
    "Your not going to shove you're proper grammer down are throats!!"

Rogue Exterminator
    Quote Originally Posted by stepitup_onenotch View Post
    I don't particularly care for Walmart but more because it is just a pain in the arse to get in out of there.

However, I do stock up on my Clif Bars there as they are almost half the price as any place else.

Rogue Exterminator
    BTW, here are some pics of that sweet bike in the background

★ RATRODBIKES.COM ★ • View topic - Possibly/Hopefully My New Bike Is The Perfect Bike

Hey, seriously though for $100 at Walmart, it might be a cool bike to ride in high crime areas. A lot of people might not steal it because it stands out too much and if they did, who cares, it is $100. lol

mtbr member
    And reading this thread is why so many ppl get turned off from riding. the snobs dont get something. Pppl (like me) wont spend a ton on a nice bike just to see it wasted, we hit BB store to get something useable for a while to see if its something we find worth sinking the money into, then once the bike dies, we buy something better or for fun sake we upgrade the walmart bike.

Explain to me what is wrong with that??? Just cause you dont like that reasoning cause you have tons of money to blow doesnt mean rest of the world does. But it doesnt mean the rest of the world shouldnt be allowed to ride a bike without getting treated like crap cause they cant drop 3k on a bike.

Its about the fun of the sport, the more ppl you chase off, the less important the sport becomes SO CHILL OUT. You dont like it, think its a punch line to a bad joke thats you. Aint gotta be snobby about it. Bike would be good for someone who aint got 2k to spend. And since when did a RS XC28 become a BAD set of forks. they are ENTRY LVL..... *facepalms*
    Trek Marlin 29er

Like It, Love It, Want Some More Of It!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tigris99 View Post
    And reading this thread is why so many ppl get turned off from riding. the snobs dont get something. Pppl (like me) wont spend a ton on a nice bike just to see it wasted, we hit BB store to get something useable for a while to see if its something we find worth sinking the money into, then once the bike dies, we buy something better or for fun sake we upgrade the walmart bike.

Explain to me what is wrong with that??? Just cause you dont like that reasoning cause you have tons of money to blow doesnt mean rest of the world does. But it doesnt mean the rest of the world shouldnt be allowed to ride a bike without getting treated like crap cause they cant drop 3k on a bike.

Its about the fun of the sport, the more ppl you chase off, the less important the sport becomes SO CHILL OUT. You dont like it, think its a punch line to a bad joke thats you. Aint gotta be snobby about it. Bike would be good for someone who aint got 2k to spend. And since when did a RS XC28 become a BAD set of forks. they are ENTRY LVL..... *facepalms*
    some +rep rep that

agree XC 28 are good entry level forks. Just a pity they didn't spec the 30 or 32 models. With there buying power the cost difference would have been very little.

Cheap poor handling,shifting and stopping bikes is "why so many ppl get turned off from riding" IMHO
    Duct tape iz like teh Force. It has a Lite side and a Dark side and it holdz the Universe together.

mtbr member

It's too bad some of the posts here offended you, most are just jokes, but reading your subquote it seems you revel in confrontation. A quick glance at your profile says you buy these bikes with a "good frame but crap components", which is what you're going to get from a BB store, that is if the frame really is any good. I prefer to spend more on a bike that comes out of the box with middle of the road but excellent components. In the long run you would've saved a crapload of $$$ on a better spec'd bike off the bat than on a cheap bike upgrading every (or nearly every) part. I know, I've done it. And another benefit is a small locally owned shop is going to give you better personalized service and appreciate your business more than some bad attitude zit faced kid who hates you because you interrupted his cigarette break. Buying from a local shop also puts more of our money in the local economy, not into some zillionaire shareholder's overseas account who lives on a supersized yacht cruising the caribbean. Bike shops have budget models too, in fact I see much more of them on the floor than the high zoot bikes that I can't afford. BB store bikes are ok and there's nothing wrong with that, I'm all for freedom of choice, this is America G@$ dammit (!!), but honestly you could do better.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I am fairly sure the shock is the same shock Giant uses on the 2012 Giant Talon 0 which they sell for $1100.

They are both 28mm 29er shocks and I only see one option when I look at SRAM's web site...

AZ
    banned
    And since when did a RS XC28 become a BAD set of forks. they are ENTRY LVL..... *facepalms*

Face it, they are craptastic and everyone knows it. You can put lipstick on a pig and it's still a pig.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I've got the step up from that on my 2013 Talon 0 (it has the XC30) and am very happy with it so far (aside from the weight). Very impressive that something at Walmart has this instead of Suntour. I've heard the XC28 has quite a bit of flex which is understandable, but for the purpose of the bike it seems like a decent spec.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    The bike looks like your run of the mill Horst Link Full sussie's.........with tin pivot bushings.

mtbr member
    Actually my signature was more to be a smart ass, lol. Not confrontation but I read ALOT of posts on this forum where seems the guys with money are just going all nasty on ppl that buy cheaper bikes, so I jumped the gun maybe here on that, apologies there.

Its a Walmart bike, not saying anything is REALLY GOOD, but in my experience, there are some decent/good frames, just the rest of the bike is **** or a little above if you pay for the higher end models. XC28s compared to what goes on most BB bikes.....huge step up lol. My walmart bike is what has gotten me into this to the point Im buying a Marlin 29er (on layaway). $200 for the bike, $150ish into it (ebay, used, etc to upgrade the junk stuff) and I love it, holds my fat ass well so far. Also thnx to the local club that has been riding with/working with me as they have time (love those guys) And I ride alot of paved miles and as much single track as I can get time to (closest is 45mins away). Its shed over 60lbs off me so far with only minor failure, BB went bad. BUT thats in part to these forums, looking up how to set up and maint properly so it holds together, and no jumps or real drops for me hehe. Once marlins paid off and such, next savings project is either a Giant Yukon FS or a GT Sensor 4.0 FS but thats a couple seasons away at least.
    Trek Marlin 29er

Like It, Love It, Want Some More Of It!

Cheesiest
    A kid at the local jumps was hittin' 360s on his Mom's Wallyworld bike (his was busted). Nothing snapped while I was watching.

Either he was smooth or the bike was strong enough (or something like that).

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Question, I bought a Talon 2 because I wanted to upgrade myself. It will mainly be a commuter bike with light trail use. Would a Rockshox XC28 be a bad choice? I could afford a Reba dual air shock, would it really do anything for how I plan to use my bike? Would an XC32 be the best compromise?

Thank, I appreciate any advice.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    delete

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    The problem lies within. RS tends to spec certain models differently dependent on the bike its going on. For example. My bike has a RS Dart 2. it has Rebound and preload adjustment. The Dart 2 that was spec-ed for 2010 on their website didnt have rebound adjustement. My Dart 2 has the same specs as the Dart 3 of that year. I wouldnt buy that bike thinking it had a good fork on it but I would feel much better about letting a loved one ride it due to at least having name brand components on it. The QC HAS to be better than the no name crap they used to put on department store bikes. Would I buy it to take to the trails? Nope. Would I buy it for a 12 year old whos probably not ever going to do anything but bomb the neighborhood sidewalk and wants a bike that (to other 12 y/o's anyways) looks like dad's multi thousand dollar trail machine? In a heartbeat.
    2010 Giant Yukon FX
    Pure XCR Wheelset/Geax Saguaro Tires/Tubeless
    Bike Weight Lost: 2.48lbs (1124g)

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    So, we found the Joker's bike at Walmart, but did we find the Joker?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Pretty hip bike in the back.

mtbr member
    That single speed in the back looks like it comes free with a happy meal.