mtbr member
    Jul 2007

New question here. Rock Shox Reba XX Dual Air 20mm or Fox F32 29er FIT with QR15?

Hi there,
    I am thinking about of getting a new fork, and canít decide between the Rock Shox Reba XX Dual Air 20mm axle system, or the Fox F32 29er FIT with QR15 axle.
    Riding would be XC/ Marathon with a hardtail, and I must admit I am around 200lbs...

Which one would be your choice? In the past I had pretty good experiences with the Fox forks, but I do like the remote lock out of the RockShox very much.
    Is there any remote lockout for the Fox 29er FIT available?

Which fork is lighter? Which one more strength (less twisting)?

And is it true that 20mm axle is lighter than QR15 axle???

(The cool thing about the Reba XX would be, it would fit nice to a XX group, but that is Ądesignď and secondary...)

Thanks!

It's carbon dontcha know.
    If it's for a hardtail consider the Fox Terralogic forks, I am...

Carbon & Ti rule
    I would go with the XX,I like the remote lock out alot.

Rider and Wrench
    The XX has a a hydro lock out which everyone seems to rave about if you see yourself using the lockout all of the time it might be a good choice. I would look into the RS offerings though as I believe that although the Reba RLT ti lacks the hydro lockout it has a bit more adjustability where the XX has some preset tuning since it's primary intent is racing (your best bet is to call RS or try the suspension forum to get a side by side on the two).

I have used both RS (Team, Race, SL etc... but no XX) and fox in a number of configurations and while both are quality with lots of tuning options I personally prefer the fox for my XC style riding (I have not tried any of the 2011 fox or reba yet)- some of why I like it is probably 1/2 of the reason why some people prefer the Reba- I do not prefer a super active fork and am not a big user of a lock out for trail riding (barring extended fire road or pavement...). The Terralogic sounds like it might suit you as well-
    I Just wish I could ride more!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Year Terralogic from Fox sounds interesting, and I liked it in the past on the 26ers. But from what I can see on the Fox website, you are not able to get Terralogic with 15QR and tapered tube...

It's carbon dontcha know.
    There's supposedly a 100mm Tapered 15mm afaik, just seems to be rare at the moment although Jenson are listing stock:
    http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...c+Fork+11.aspx

Registered Dietitian
    Quote Originally Posted by omega1848
    Year Terralogic from Fox sounds interesting, and I liked it in the past on the 26ers. But from what I can see on the Fox website, you are not able to get Terralogic with 15QR and tapered tube...
    I have one. Not OEM, either, ordered directly from Fox.
    Registered Dietitian, Cycling Coach, E3: Elite Human Performance

www.e3ehp.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    You can't go wrong with either fork. They're both excellent.

Right now I have the Fox F29 100 FIT with Terralogic and the 15mm thru-axle. Great fork.

I'd be just as happy with the Reba.

On paper the Reba is lighter and the Fox is more rigid. Unless you're a pro these are pretty minor differences.

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by knottshore
    The XX has a a hydro lock out which everyone seems to rave about if you see yourself using the lockout all of the time it might be a good choice. I would look into the RS offerings though as I believe that although the Reba RLT ti lacks the hydro lockout it has a bit more adjustability where the XX has some preset tuning since it's primary intent is racing (your best bet is to call RS or try the suspension forum to get a side by side on the two).

I have used both RS (Team, Race, SL etc... but no XX) and fox in a number of configurations and while both are quality with lots of tuning options I personally prefer the fox for my XC style riding (I have not tried any of the 2011 fox or reba yet)- some of why I like it is probably 1/2 of the reason why some people prefer the Reba- I do not prefer a super active fork and am not a big user of a lock out for trail riding (barring extended fire road or pavement...). The Terralogic sounds like it might suit you as well-

I was never a big user of lockouts either but the XX fork has changed the way I ride & I use the lock out alot more than I ever thought I would.

I have run lots of Fox forks & never had a problem & if I could get a Fox 36 with remote lock out I would grab 1 in a flash.

I have got a 140 RLT Ti fork on my Rip9 at the moment & it is a nice fork but I don't feel that it is the real answer to anything.

wrench
    You can retro fit the RS Xloc hydro damper in any of their forks

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mattomoto
    You can retro fit the RS Xloc hydro damper in any of their forks
    What is involved to do this? I like the hydro lockout but would rather go with the RLT Ti considering the better internals.

Originally I was set on the terralogic, but after some discussions it sounds like if you set the threshold too high it affects how plush the fork is. I like the idea of having an on-off switch that will go between nearly full lockout and plush, but I'm a control freak. If fox made a high end fork with a remote lockout I'd be going with it almost no question as I've always preferred fox forks. It's too bad they don't offer the option anymore.

I like to ride my bike.
    There is an OEM F29 FIT 100 with a remote lockout. You may have a hard time finding it, though.
    I like bicycles. Bicycles make me happy. Riding them makes me even happier.
    Scott Bicycles
    Maxxis Tires
    Team Blog

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I've seen these available on major retailers websites. Also, I was at my Specialized dealer and Spec is now offering a Brain internals mod for Reba's and SID's. Doesn't have to be off a Spec bike. Price is $240 with a 150hr. service. Must go through a Spec dealer. I went from a 15QR bike to a Reba with the Spec OS28 endcap front hub and honestly didn't feel much difference in stiffness. When it's time for my Reba to get serviced I'm sending to Spec for their "Brain Transplant", as they call it.

wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by tiflow_21
    What is involved to do this? I like the hydro lockout but would rather go with the RLT Ti considering the better internals.

Originally I was set on the terralogic, but after some discussions it sounds like if you set the threshold too high it affects how plush the fork is. I like the idea of having an on-off switch that will go between nearly full lockout and plush, but I'm a control freak. If fox made a high end fork with a remote lockout I'd be going with it almost no question as I've always preferred fox forks. It's too bad they don't offer the option anymore.
    easy- Unthread Ti damper from top of the fork, set oil column height to 90mm's and thread the Xloc damper in. Nice thing with the Xloc is you can adjust the gate so you can have a very firm lock out to almost open and of course you can unlock the fork completely.

let me know if ya have more question.

Matto

Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009
    http://cgi.ebay.com/2011-FOX-32-F29-...item335d94cc24

**Not mine**

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Interesting, if you take a look on the website http://www.foxracingshox.com/bike/11/forks/32_F29 and you select the Terralogic section, there is no listing for tapered steering, so I assume that these forks are OEM forks? Anyway it’s great that they show up, even so I would love to have a remote lockout for Fox available, there are no aftermarket solutions available?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    looking at what pro sram riders are currently rolling on I would expect a lighter Reba 29er fork out soon. Carbon tapered crown/ steerer and maxle light 15mm as per fork models above and below in the range so if weight is a major focus on your 29er this will the best option. Its my dream fork, Reba RLT Ti ,Blackbox damper, carbon crown steerer and 15mm Maxle light. I think 1450 gms would be a safe bet.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Honestly, thatís what I am looking for, my hope was that also DT Swiss will enter the 29er game again, carrying their Carbon crown, etc. technology from the 26er over...
    So, I hope, since 29er are getting more and more market share, that Fox, SRAM, DT are spending more creativity and technology on getting them lighter (with Carbon, Ti, whatever...), but of course still reliable enough.