mtbr member
    Jan 2007

Rock Shock Dart 3 vs. Lefty (comparing the 29er 4 to the 29er 2)

Would like to jump into the 29er world and was looking at the above bikes. I like the looks of the Cannondale 4 but I am concerned about the rock shock fork in terms of stiffness on the trails. Have heard great things about the Lefty but have never ridden one other than a parking lot ride. What other forks would be suitable for a heavier rider. Thanks,

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    How heavy is 'heavier'?

The dart is not even a mid range fork. The lefty, in its various forms, is one of the best suspension designs in the world. If you have your heart set on a cannondale, you might as well get one. If not, save some money and get a different brand of fork.

The Fox 29er fork is great, as is RS reba. The RST has gotten great reviews, and seems to be liked by those who ride it, if you don't mind the branding.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007

"Heavier" as in 225 - 235 lb rider (winter mode :))

Sorry about that, forgot to list weights. My weight can get as low as 210 lbs naked but seldom lower and not for long. Height 5'10".

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by nepanite
    Would like to jump into the 29er world and was looking at the above bikes. I like the looks of the Cannondale 4 but I am concerned about the rock shock fork in terms of stiffness on the trails. Have heard great things about the Lefty but have never ridden one other than a parking lot ride. What other forks would be suitable for a heavier rider. Thanks,
    RS Reba 29 er is a good fork for the price.
    GapRider MTB
    aka Chuck Faulkner
    Tazewell TN 37879

http://www.jeffrothcyclingfoundation.org

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Don't even bother with the dart, it feels like crap even when the rebound damper isn't crapping oil (bad seals heh - a warranty fix) - I would buy the 29er 2 and never look back. I have a fox f29 on my 29er, and a lefty on my 26er... and i kinda hate to say this, but i wish it could feel as plush as the lefty... Do it and don't regret it man. Plus with the 29er 2 you get nicer parts all around. The 4 is a nice frame, and decent bike - but I'd rather have better parts AND a lefty than just a nice fork, since aftermarkeft forks = 500+, closer to 800 for fox, and the price difference between the models is about or less than that.
    Quote Originally Posted by sickspeed16
    Your not all mountain unless your runnin' crushed dew cans..
    '12 Scalpel 29er Carbon 1
    '13 SuperSix EVO Red Racing

Bearded highlighter
    Jun 2008
    i am only about 130lbs and had flex issues from the dart 3 with 203mm rotor. id say go for the lefty

mtbr member
    I have a 29er4 and am quite happy with it. I bought it understanding that the Dart3 wasn't a very good fork. I was looking to get into biking and already ended up doubling my budget to buy this bike. I can't say the fork is junk having not ridden any thing nicer on the trail, however I do feel it flexing under my 240lbs. I've never felt it bottom and and it does look as if I use all the travel. I was thinking of upgrading to 185mm front rotor but I don't know if the fork would like that with me on it.