mtbr member
    May 2013

Road Tires VS Dirt Tires?

I recently decided to get back into riding after probably 20 years. I got this bike:
    Name:  0001675122948_500X500.jpg
Views: 1236
Size:  35.3 KB
    There is a lot I do not know about mountain bikes, as I use to be a bmx rider as a kid. Is there an actual advantage to having street tires as opposed to dirt? Would 700c x 35 fit? Finally, Which gearing would give me the easiest long distance ride?

Thank you in advance!

I Ride for Donuts
    Street tires... It would depend on what you want to do with it. If you're going to ride it on the road a lot, then yes. If you're not, then no.

Yes, 700cx35 would fit, but in my opinion you'd be happer with something fat, like Schwalbe Big Apples, or Serfas Drifters, or something similar. There are lots of pavment-friendly tires in the 29x2.0ish range that would make you happier than something small like 35's.

If you want to ride lots of pavement and the occasional hardpack trail or mellow mountian bike trail, get something with tread similar to Kenda Small Block 8's, or something like that. Fast rolling, but with some tread. There are a ton of options.

Not sure what you mean about gearing... do you want to change cassette/sprockets, or do you want to know what gear to put it in to ride a long way? If it's the second thing, there's no way to answer that. 4 million variables.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post
    Street tires... It would depend on what you want to do with it. If you're going to ride it on the road a lot, then yes. If you're not, then no.

Yes, 700cx35 would fit, but in my opinion you'd be happer with something fat, like Schwalbe Big Apples, or Serfas Drifters, or something similar. There are lots of pavment-friendly tires in the 29x2.0ish range that would make you happier than something small like 35's.

If you want to ride lots of pavement and the occasional hardpack trail or mellow mountian bike trail, get something with tread similar to Kenda Small Block 8's, or something like that. Fast rolling, but with some tread. There are a ton of options.

Not sure what you mean about gearing... do you want to change cassette/sprockets, or do you want to know what gear to put it in to ride a long way? If it's the second thing, there's no way to answer that. 4 million variables.
    First off, thank you for your reply. Basically, I live in Kansas... ...flat. I will be riding primarily on streets and hardball bike paths. Gearing I meant what to set the gears to, unless a fixed sprocket set-up would be beneficial. Please forgive my ignorance.

I am basically riding for fun, not exercise, so the smoother the ride the better.

mtbr member
    Gearing would be dictated on how fast you want to ride and how much effort you want to put out to get there. If you are on flat paved ground you can probably put it in high for both front and back. I have no idea how many gears you have but if it is too hard just back off one until you are comfortable in that gear. The more you ride the easier it will be to stay in high and keep up your pace. Have fun and experiment.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Yea of course you can use a street specific tire, but youll sacrifice traction when on dirt. Just make sure the larger is larger then your outside rim diameter, which sounds like the 700x35 would be fine. Personally, if you plan on riding dirt...stick with a dirt tire, youll appreciate it when riding off road. There are a lot of tires that work decently well on both terrain. I would just stay away from the expensive lightweight dirt tires...they wear very quickly on paved roads. You might wanna figure out what percentage of your riding will be on dirt, and what percentage will be on paved roads. Then you can make an educated decision on what type of tread will work best. Something similiar to a Kenda Small Block 8 is a good compromise. Im just using that as an example.

In regards to gearing, the picture looks like you have a triple crankset, which should have plenty of gears for road riding. Before considering changing gears, take the bike on a few rides and see if you ever max out your current gearing. If you find that your spinning without gaining speed...then consider other gear options. Its really just personal preference. Most triples have enough top gear for fast paced road riding. Even my double 38/26 is fine on the short road rides to the trail heads. Even my 1x10 setup with a 32 tooth up front has enough to keep my moving forward...but not ideal if your maintaining speeds above 25mph.

Id just ride what you got for now. Youll start to learn what should be swapped out, but the bike should be perfectly fine to get you started in the sport of mountain biking. Cheers.