Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: nauc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,350

    road a Tallboy and the Superlight 29er this weekend

    first time ive ever ridin a 29er. man, theyre great. i definitely wouldnt mind switching over from my 26". cant believe all the drama between the 2
    2010 GT Avalanche Expert

  2. #2
    NedwannaB
    Reputation: JMac47's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    8,449

    You want drama?

    Quote Originally Posted by nauc View Post
    first time ive ever ridin a 29er. man, theyre great. i definitely wouldnt mind switching over from my 26". cant believe all the drama between the 2
    Surf the 650B forum....

    Drama between the 2 bikes, or the 2 wheel sizes? We only want to hear the feedback on the differences between the 29" SC bikes on here.
    Last edited by JMac47; 05-15-2013 at 02:56 PM. Reason: typo
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

  3. #3
    SSolo
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    2,501
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    Surf the 650B forum....

    Drama between the 2 bikes, or the 2 wheel sizes? We only want to hear the feedback on the differences between the 29" SC bikes on here.
    Yes, sold all my 26" stuff several years ago after I bought a CL 29er just to try out lol. 29er or maybe 650b is way to go for most stuff imo and we like to hear your input on one versus the other....what you gonna do now? I'm 6'2" so 29er it is for me.
    Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life son...

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: LB412's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    871
    sold my 26" AM bike because it never made it out of garage after the tallboy LTc came home.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: AirKuhl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    47
    I just upgraded from an SL29 to TBLT.

    They are both outstanding bikes IMO. The SL29 got me back into MTB after a long sidetrack into other hobbies. Great fun to ride, no bad habits, you feel secure riding it. I recommend it without reservation to anyone thinking about getting into MTB.

    If you are new to this, at some point you'll start noticing stuff that most normal people don't. The difference between the way a single vs dual pivot rear suspension feels. Wheel stiffness. A pound or three of weight. After a while you'll be willing to spend a few extra grand for a bike that to any normal person looks more or less identical to the one you already own. That's where the TBLT comes in. The SL29 is an almost unbeatable value for a great all around 29er and is the one that I would recommend to most folks that aren't already hardcore MTBers, but the TBLT is on another level and my SL29 is heading for Craigslist soon.

  6. #6
    Underskilled
    Reputation: CaveGiant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    4,109
    They are very nice bikes, I re-demoed them a few weekends back too.
    Tallboy LT with a good fork was most fun. Amazed how that bike handles in the air.

    Still prefer my niner for all the stuff apart from air time though.

    As for 650b, have tried quite a few. To me it just seems goldilocks marketing. They have neither the full benefits of a 26" or a 29" bike. They rode as worst of both worlds.

    Then again if I only rode the gary F 29ers, I might have thought the same on them.

    So far though nothing corners at speed like a 29" bike. Both wifey and I were able to cover out fave section of track almost 50% faster on the 29er than the 650b. You would expect that from me, I ride a 29er normally, but wifey is currently on a 26" until the bank balance says yes to a specialized camber.
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    4,287
    Quote Originally Posted by CaveGiant View Post
    .... but wifey is currently on a 26" until the bank balance says yes to a specialized camber.
    Is your wife also "giant" in height-related stature? If so, I will soon be offering my 1-year old XL Camber Carbon Pro at a very nice price, sans carbon wheels. Great bike, but not quite racy enough for me as an endurance racer, and I need room in the garage!

    IMO, the SC Superlight is one of the better "budget" 29ers out there, outside of the Big Brands.
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

  8. #8
    NedwannaB
    Reputation: JMac47's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    8,449
    Quote Originally Posted by CaveGiant View Post
    As for 650b, have tried quite a few. To me it just seems goldilocks marketing. They have neither the full benefits of a 26" or a 29" bike. They rode as worst of both worlds.

    Both wifey and I were able to cover out fave section of track almost 50% faster on the 29er than the 650b
    What's wrong with the Goldilocks theory? She seemed to find a happy medium, even tho she disrupted the whole house in doing so....

    50% faster? Really. Care to elaborate??
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

  9. #9
    Underskilled
    Reputation: CaveGiant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    4,109
    Wifey is 5'6. I was surprised how much she liked it, and how much her confidence increased. It normally takes a bit of time to get used to a new bike. However when I first threw my leg over my RIP and Brit on her Camber we were riding better on those bikes that our own in minutes.




    Well for one, the goldilocks theory occasionally gets you eaten by bears. I just don't like pop-psychology tricks to take advantage of people.

    As for 50% faster it was a non-literal, it might only have been 18.27% faster. Either way it was SIGNIFICANT.

    Partly due to the course, it held a lot of very fast rapidly changing corners with moderately loose traction. i.e. the traction was the limiting factor on speed. The 29er have better grip in this type of terrain, therefore you can carry significantly more speed through the course. On the 650 and 26 you had to keep slowing down and speeding up. This was the perfect course to highlight the advantages of a 29er, which is kinda funny as the demo guys were pushing the new 650b.
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?

  10. #10
    NedwannaB
    Reputation: JMac47's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    8,449
    Quote Originally Posted by CaveGiant View Post
    Wifey is 5'6. I was surprised how much she liked it, and how much her confidence increased. It normally takes a bit of time to get used to a new bike. However when I first threw my leg over my RIP and Brit on her Camber we were riding better on those bikes that our own in minutes.

    Well for one, the goldilocks theory occasionally gets you eaten by bears. I just don't like pop-psychology tricks to take advantage of people.

    As for 50% faster it was a non-literal, it might only have been 18.27% faster. Either way it was SIGNIFICANT.

    Partly due to the course, it held a lot of very fast rapidly changing corners with moderately loose traction. i.e. the traction was the limiting factor on speed. The 29er have better grip in this type of terrain, therefore you can carry significantly more speed through the course. On the 650 and 26 you had to keep slowing down and speeding up. This was the perfect course to highlight the advantages of a 29er, which is kinda funny as the demo guys were pushing the new 650b.
    I guess my folks never read me the other ending of the story. You sure you're not confusing it with "The 3 Little Pigs?"

    FTR, I'm 5'-6.5" and ride both a ht 29 and a 650 ht & fs.

    The Camber's are nice. I have a buddy who rides one up/down/all around, very well I might add. I think its a carbon Expert. I was in for warranty on frame part. He ended up on a loaner SWorks Epic for awhile and liked it, but likes the Camber a lot more.

    I am toying with idea of getting one, or a TallBoy. More likely the TB if I decide to stick with one do all bike. Jury still out.

    I'm not caught up in the newest 650 bike hype either as I've been fiddling with the tweener wheels on convert frames for several years. Only recently with a specific frame, an older but proven design..
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

Similar Threads

  1. Superlight 29 to a tallboy c...LT?
    By charmon2 in forum Santa Cruz
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-19-2013, 03:03 PM
  2. Superlight or Tallboy
    By sctrix1 in forum 29er Bikes
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 11-19-2012, 02:00 PM
  3. Superlight 29 vs. TallBoy
    By panchosdad in forum Santa Cruz
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-10-2012, 06:42 AM
  4. Replies: 49
    Last Post: 09-12-2012, 05:12 PM
  5. Superlight 29 vs Tallboy Carbon
    By konaben in forum Santa Cruz
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 07-18-2012, 05:43 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •