mtbr member
    Oct 2009

Road drop bar on 29er...

I know this is a niche question..but for the those that have gone there, can you post your set ups?

I am not speaking of mtb specific dirt drops, but rather prefer the ergos of a road drop bar with road levers on a 29er. Not interested in a cross bike btw.

I ride my 29er mostly on paved roads...and limited amount on groomed dirt. Speed is the reason for my inquiry.

Can you speak to using road drop bar levers that will shift Sram or Shimano driveline that are compatible with Avid BB7 disk brakes?

Many thanks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Check out the Salsa Fargo and search this site for Monstercross
    Tahoe29er

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Thanks. What I like about the Salsa Fargo is the substantial stack height which is greater than a typical flat bar 29er to compensate for the lower drop bar position.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I bought one size smaller frame to reduce the reach. I also have a set of skinny wheels with cross tires for rail trails etc.

Road drop bar on 29er...-dsc_7681.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Thanks for the pic. Looks like the woodchipper bar or similar. The ergos of a dirt drop just don't suit me. I am a roadie but own a flat bar 29er. Gotta love the versatility of the Fargo. Kudos to Salsa...great company...I have that rigid fork on my Ti 29er and a Salsa flatbar...for releasing a bike that can be ridden everywhere.
    PS: general issue with mounting a dropbar on a typical 29er is...the geo isn't as suitable as a dedicated drop bar bike. Top tube is generally too long on a flat bar bike and head tube too short. Believe if I were to adapt a drop bar even with short stem on my 29er, I would be too stretched out. The Fargo of course is designed for a drop bar and more conducive.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I bought one size smaller frame to reduce the reach.

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtrider7 View Post
    I know this is a niche question..but for the those that have gone there, can you post your set ups?

I am not speaking of mtb specific dirt drops, but rather prefer the ergos of a road drop bar with road levers on a 29er. Not interested in a cross bike btw.

I ride my 29er mostly on paved roads...and limited amount on groomed dirt. Speed is the reason for my inquiry.

Can you speak to using road drop bar levers that will shift Sram or Shimano driveline that are compatible with Avid BB7 disk brakes?

Many thanks.

BB7 road calipers work with road levers, I believe that 10 speed SRAM stuff works together. 9 speed Shimano parts play well. that's the setup I use with a Voodoo stem and Short and Shallow drop bars.

Big Damn Hero
    I'm strongly considering doing this to me Orbea Alma but the whole reach issue you guys are referring to is making me a little hesitant. I have a 90mm stem on the bike now and if I was to put something like the woodchipper bars on, could I mitigate the problem by putting on a shorter stem? Maybe something like a 40mm stem?
    Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving. ~ Albert Einstein

mtbr member
    I put on on my Pugsley, Woodchippers with Tektro levers(not intergrated).
    Woodchippers work better if above saddle height as they are designed to be ridden more in the curl area and not tops or hoods. They are **okay** as far is getting more aero but I didn't think they gave me more hand positions than my Jones Loops and the angle wasn't as good, so I went back. Not road curls necessarily but other than the angle flaring out, pretty similar to my ProMoto2s on my Colossal, which are.
    Road drop bar on 29er...-image.jpg

Road drop bar on 29er...-image.jpg

I realize fat isn't 29 necessarily but once you measure in the tire outer circ, it is close to my 29er Karate Monkey, which is why I responded. Dunno if I helped though.
    2010 Surly Conundrum
    2012 Pugsley
    2012 Felt Brougham
    2013 Salsa Colossal
    2013 All City Nature Boy
    2014 Big Dummy

Big Damn Hero
    Dude that bike looks straight out of Mad Max.... ^^^

Awesome!
    Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving. ~ Albert Einstein

1*14*29*2.1 & 1*1*29*2.4
    Nov 2009
    something I did was use a shorter AC fork which steepens the angles and lowers centre of gravity and BB height which made the frame a lot more road bike like. I also used a frame one size smaller, with 50mm stem. If you use a road bar I'd personally go wide and shallow drop. I am using road bb7s with shimano levers, and it works OK. I do find it a bit spongy and the lever goes nearly to the bar before grabbing. There aren't too many other options though.