or die try'n

Bonking ... not feelin' well Ritchey Pro Carbon Mountain Fork Failure Buyer Beware

Just bought and opened a Brand New Ritchey Pro Carbon 29er Fork. I mounted it on my frame and when I went to bolt on the front rotor the lower mount chipped open the bolt hole. I hadn't even torqued the bolt to final spec, as I was still playing with the rotor spacing. I called Ritchey to see about a warranty exchange and sent all of the appropriate documentation and photos only to be told that I have to go back through the retailer. Basically a heads up to not buy a Ritchey product from any long distance or online retailer because they will require you to go back through them when their product fails, even if it's never been ridden. Apparently Ritchey's customer warranty service is not about the customer or their product, but about where and who you purchase from. Just wanted to spread the word. Should a Ritchey representative choose to weigh in or back their product, here's an opportunity.
    I only use my brakes going Up hill.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Your contract is with the retailer (at least in the UK!!)

or die try'n
    Understandable, but retailers shouldn't be burdened for the duration of a warranty, maybe 90 days. DT Swiss and Magura have fantastic customer relations, because they stand behind their product and warranty regardless of where you purchased or how much you paid, hence a serial # on their products.

Hairshirt Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by getjohn View Post
    Understandable, but retailers shouldn't be burdened for the duration of a warranty, maybe 90 days. DT Swiss and Magura have fantastic customer relations, because they stand behind their product and warranty regardless of where you purchased or how much you paid, hence a serial # on their products.
    I hear DT Swiss makes a good carbon fork - maybe you should have gone that route.

hispanic mechanic
    Almost every company would prefer that a possible warranty is handled by a dealer, including Magura and DT Swiss. Part of being a dealer for any product is the understanding that you'll use your expertise in conjunction with that company to work out any warranty issues. We're that front line, as it were.
    Ritchey has always stood behind their products in my experience.
    Find a local shop that is a Ritchey dealer, and work with them.
    This is part of the problem with those who are shopping online for a better price- no local support if something goes wrong.

Los
    "Shut up body and do what I tell you."
    Jens Voight

http://teamjva.com/jens-voigt-soundboard/

get down!
    ^Los with the knowledge and reason.
    Rudy Projects look ridiculous

visit my blog, BEATS, BIKES & LIFE

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    If you bought a new car and had a warranty issue, would you drive back to the factory to have it fixed? Or take it back where you bought it? Duh.

Ritchey didn't deny your warranty claim, they asked you to follow the proper procedure and take it back where you bought it. It's not their fault you bought it online from who-knows-where.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Ritchey Customer Service

I broke two Ritchey carbon seat posts within 4-6 months of purchase, 170lb xc rider. A buddy broke one as well. In each instance Ritchey made some excuse to not warrenty their product. In one case they actually had the nerve to say the min insertion line should be 10-20mm BELOW the top of the seat collar. I will never buy another Ritchey product period. Just my experience, yours may vary.......

Is dang happy!
    Chinese carbon with 200% markup should be worth something other than a sticker.
    The wheel is a extension of the foot

or die try'n
    True cyclists whether road or mountain are passionate about their bikes and the parts therein that they are comprised. The dumbing down of America has forced conscientious buyers to shop online or from distant retailers who actually stock the product and offer it up at a fair price delivered to their door. Can't tell you how many times my local bike stores fail to produce simple repair parts because they don't want to hassle the inventory. Try to order a simple hub conversion part from common companies and you'll spend an hour in front of some employee who sees you as a nuisance for a $3 profit. Regardless of where I choose to shop, or avoid to shop, I still expect the manufacturer of a product to back their claims of reliability. Buyers these days are very impulsive, they want their part, and they want it now. Bike shops, if you want me to buy from you, then stock more stuff, cause if I have to order it I might as well buy it online so I don't have to make a return trip just to pick it up..

mtbr member
    Judging from your avatar this ordeal has caused you severe butt hurt, good luck with that.
    This may be a total waste of time but I can't help but think that you might amount to something someday.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    sucks