Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    prefers the wide stance
    Sep 2007

Ripley vs. Spesh Camber Evo Carbon vs. V2 Horsethief xx1

Ripley vs [GASP!]Camber Carbon Evo vs V2 Horsethief vs ? Rip RDO/Alu? SB95c? Some other Trailish lightish $6kish rig?

Discuss!

Long Live the Gorn!
    might add to your list 429c, great all-arounder, have mine built up more trail like, but originally spec at 120MM fork so may not fit your style, other have put on longer travel forks.

Did not realize HT is spec'd at 130mm very cool

prefers the wide stance
    Sep 2007
    I have demo'd the 429c at 120mm fork & dropper. Loved it. Thanks for the reminder

Long Live the Gorn!
    Yeah... I loved the bike, but when I finally added a dropper... wow it really allowed me to be much more agressive

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Camber Evo is one of the best bikes i've ridden. Probably the most fun I EVER had on a bike!
    The thing is a shredding MACHINE!
    Go Camber, and you'll love that you did.
    2015 Epic Expert WC
    Sworks Phenom saddle, EC70 flat bars and seatpost, crankbrothers candy 3's

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrich88 View Post
    Camber Evo is one of the best bikes i've ridden. Probably the most fun I EVER had on a bike!
    I'm fairly interested in the Camber as it's gotten a lot of positive feedback. The only thing I'm a little iffy on is the new Formula brakes as I've seen some complain about them. On the other hand I spoke to someone at a local bikeshop that carries a bunch of other similar models specced with Shimanos and he said he likes Formulas quite a lot. For credibility he also complained a bit about Avid and said that SRAM is always giving them free brakes to try and placate them. Anyway, not sure what to make of them... it sounds like Formulas might be good if you get a decent set but are not as consistent as Shimano.

Anyone else have experience with these brakes?

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    2014 Bible of Bike Tests Roundtable Reels: Specialized Camber 29 | BIKE Magazine

Did you see this? They make the camber sound awesome. I'd probably be on one of those if they had done the same magic with the chainstays as they did on the enduro, but I sprang for the extra travel and more nimble geometry.

Some of the others on the market have their ups and downs, but none really blew my skirt up. If you agree with the geometry, then DW makes some of the best suspension packages in the biz. The problem is that all his bikes have short reaches and long rear ends, so you might be SOL if something like the Kona 111 appeals to you (and it does to a LOT of people).

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I will say that the evo that i rode still has formulas and i actually really liked them. I like a bit longer squish in the lever pull before i get to the lockout point though. In that aspect they were GREAT for controlling speed on the descents and they locked out really well when i wanted them to. But in my honest opinion, if the brakes work, i like them. So as long as i don't die because can't stop, i'm probably alright with the brakes it has.
    That being said, the DO stop the bike, but they also do have a little bit longer pull/squish period before you can lock the wheel out (i personally like that because I don't skid unless i really want to) which means great control in your braking pull.
    2015 Epic Expert WC

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by sandwich View Post
    2014 Bible of Bike Tests Roundtable Reels: Specialized Camber 29 | BIKE Magazine

Did you see this? They make the camber sound awesome. I'd probably be on one of those if they had done the same magic with the chainstays as they did on the enduro, but I sprang for the extra travel and more nimble geometry.

Some of the others on the market have their ups and downs, but none really blew my skirt up. If you agree with the geometry, then DW makes some of the best suspension packages in the biz. The problem is that all his bikes have short reaches and long rear ends, so you might be SOL if something like the Kona 111 appeals to you (and it does to a LOT of people).
    Yeah, that video did make me take note of the Camber. The only thing that I'm a bit conscious of as well is that these guys are probably much more advanced riders than me as I've only been riding for a year or so. I was speaking with a guy at the bike shop who was contrasting it with the Ripley, which they also carry. He said the Camber excels for aggressive riding while the Ripley is a bit more plush and smooth experience but will not perform as well when you try to throw it through tough terrain (at least compared to the Camber). I imagine you also would want to go for the carbon evo to get the pike and so forth.

Ultimately it comes down to trying out some different bikes and seeing what fits personally, but food for thought in the mean time.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Also I will say, that the Enduro does have the shorter chainstays, but the Camber is pretty easy to whip around as well. It still didnt feel like they were very long at all.
    2015 Epic Expert WC

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    I will say that the evo that i rode still has formulas and i actually really liked them. I like a bit longer squish in the lever pull before i get to the lockout point though. In that aspect they were GREAT for controlling speed on the descents and they locked out really well when i wanted them to. But in my honest opinion, if the brakes work, i like them. So as long as i don't die because can't stop, i'm probably alright with the brakes it has.
    That being said, the DO stop the bike, but they also do have a little bit longer pull/squish period before you can lock the wheel out (i personally like that because I don't skid unless i really want to) which means great control in your braking pull.
    Good to know, I imagine I would have a similar experience so long as they work well outside of personal brand preference. It's probable that many people who are really used to the feel of Shimanos don't like the difference, whereas I don't have that issue yet. If they're noise and defect free and have decent power it seems like they should get the job done.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    They did! and When I rode them I was riping some long descents in the Santa Cruz mountains in California, so if they worked there... i would imagine they should work pretty well where ever they're ridden... unless you're used to that quick lockout of shimanos. But I definitely did enjoy these brakes, didn't have a problem with them at all. I actually liked them better than the Maguras I'm running now.
    2015 Epic Expert WC

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I don't have any time on mine besides a test ride, but they felt a bit like shimanos or hayes from back in the day. Not jaw dropping instant power (like new XTs) but power was there, just underneath more lever action and required more force. Off the floor, I preferred them over the low-end shimanos on the Crave I also test rode. Keep in mind how little this info really means, but I will say I liked them well enough that I would keep them on a hardtail I'd like to build up. I've heard from other, actual long term riders, that on long descents they tend to fade a bit, but he was speaking specifically to lift days, I think.

mtbr member
    I second this, I have the same RIDE!!!! !
    2013 Specialized Camber Carbon EVO Expert 26.5lbs/2014 YETI SB95 , KS LEV seat post

mtbr member
    If you are speaking of the formula T1s , I just upgraded the formula rotors to the 2 pc on ebay for $85 a set brand new. If you have the LBS bleed the Formulas better they will offer a better lever feel. I blead my own brakes and they are solid with just the right amount of feel.
    They did! and When I rode them I was riping some long descents in the Santa Cruz mountains in California, so if they worked there... i would imagine they should work pretty well where ever they're ridden... unless you're used to that quick lockout of shimanos. But I definitely did enjoy these brakes, didn't have a problem with them at all. I actually liked them better than the Maguras I'm running now.
    2013 Specialized Camber Carbon EVO Expert 26.5lbs/2014 YETI SB95 , KS LEV seat post

prefers the wide stance
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by sandwich View Post

Assume you're speaking of Dave Weigle (DW)...The new Horsethief split pivot has 17.2 CS which is pretty dang short. The Ripley, though, is 17.5 and does have a short reach.

The Process 111 is very very interesting bike, but I'm not all that interested in carrying water on my back for all my rides. I do a lot of rides where 1 big bottle will suffice. Can't figure out what they were thinking on that decision...

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    My 2 Cents. Do yourself a favor and ride the new Salsa Horsethief. I have ridden mine 4 times and can report that the new rear suspension really works well. Still dialing it in but it is plush and pedals very efficiently. Going with a Pike on the front for added stiffness.

prefers the wide stance
    Sep 2007
    1. New HT - Really want to ride this bike. All the great reviews from Press Camp made me curious. Then the Bible Test from Bike (which was not fair since they tested the $3k version vs all the $6k+ bikes they tested...) has made me a little more worried that I'd be pedaling around a heavy feeling all mountain bike. Not what i'm after for most of my riding, which entails lots of climbing

2. Camber EVO Carbon - The BIke Bible of Tests put this bike on the radar for me. It's pretty much what I'm looking for with 1 exception - the longish chainstays. I will get a chance to demo this bike hopefully this weekend.

3. Ripley - I've demo'd this bike and liked it a lot. it did not blow my doors off though. I'm sure it was not set up as well as it could have been for me, so that's probably part of it. It was cushy, and light, and playful.

4. 429c - Less travel; I demo'd this a while back when it first came out. Back to back with the 429. Didn't love the 429. Really enjoyed the carbon version. Felt at home right away and just dug almost everything about it. I can't recall if I ever blew through all 100mm of suspension, but if I remember right, it seemed like it had more than 100mm...

We need you folks with new Horsethiefs to chime in. I want to hear more about this rig.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    You know, I've read some negative comments about the devinci Troy, which also features weagle's split pivot. They said something about harshness and inability to get the tune right. It's really surprising to me, as I love a good mid pivot and weagle gets his leverage rates right.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by xbrian View Post
    1. New HT - Really want to ride this bike. All the great reviews from Press Camp made me curious. Then the Bible Test from Bike (which was not fair since they tested the $3k version vs all the $6k+ bikes they tested...) has made me a little more worried that I'd be pedaling around a heavy feeling all mountain bike. Not what i'm after for most of my riding, which entails lots of climbing

2. Camber EVO Carbon - The BIke Bible of Tests put this bike on the radar for me. It's pretty much what I'm looking for with 1 exception - the longish chainstays. I will get a chance to demo this bike hopefully this weekend.

3. Ripley - I've demo'd this bike and liked it a lot. it did not blow my doors off though. I'm sure it was not set up as well as it could have been for me, so that's probably part of it. It was cushy, and light, and playful.

4. 429c - Less travel; I demo'd this a while back when it first came out. Back to back with the 429. Didn't love the 429. Really enjoyed the carbon version. Felt at home right away and just dug almost everything about it. I can't recall if I ever blew through all 100mm of suspension, but if I remember right, it seemed like it had more than 100mm...

We need you folks with new Horsethiefs to chime in. I want to hear more about this rig.
    Did you get to demo any bikes over the weekend?
    2015 Epic Expert WC

prefers the wide stance
    Sep 2007
    Nope. their warehouse closed friday before I could get there. They only have a Camber standard to demo, which won't really give me the best comparison, but I'll get to it this week if I can.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by xbrian View Post

Checkout the Salsa Forum: Horsethief 1 thread.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    what HT are you talking about? The ROS? The superfly? I'm confused.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    HT=Horsethief
    2015 Epic Expert WC

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Derp ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast