Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mtbr member
    Also thinking about Ripley vs Camber EVO.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Ripley,Camber & 429 all have similar capabilities ie. suspension travel. The Yeti can handle much more at 140/135mm and 34mm fork up front. The question is do you need a knife or a gun?

prefers the wide stance
    Sep 2007
    So i've been lucky enough to demo quite a few bikes the last few weeks. Unfortunately the EVO is the only bike I've not been able to truly demo. I threw a leg over a xl (a bit too big for me) and rode around a parking lot but nothing more...

Ive demo'd:
    Yeti SB95c
    IBIS Ripley
    SC 5010 (something diff)
    Salsa HT 2
    Niner RIP9 Alloy

Second time demo'ing the Ripley. Really wanted to like this bike, but both times it didn't do it for me. Climbs great, pedals well, and does go down competently. First time I thought it was setup. Either way I just didn't ever feel right on the bike. This should not be seen as a ding as I know plenty of folks that love theirs. One thing that throws me off is the noise it makes (internal routing?)...very off-putting for me. The other is that it felt way to xc for 120mm travel. pretty stiff suspension. I dunno, but I just know I would not be happy with this bike.

The 5010, 650b was a novelty - Hadn't ridden one yet, wanted to give it a shot...i've been on big wheels for too long and it just felt too sluggish on the ups. Downhill was a treat. Bike felt smaller, really easy to throw around underneath you. Gobbled up rocks and was simple to just let the bike ride for you.

SB95c - While a bit heavy on paper, doesn't feel that way when you're climbing. You felt the switch suspension stiffen up under load. remarkable. especially because once you turned it downhill it's the opposite. I would very much like to get some more time on this whip. very playful bike and super fun to ride. really enjoyed it.

HT 2 - Noticeable spec downgrade, but this is a really nice bike. Didn't feel as fast climbing as the Ripley or the RIP9, but was not bad either. Built to a higher/lighter spec it would probably climb close to as well as the others. Either way, low speed bumps were handled well, and I really got a good feel for the split pivot. Turning downhill, the bike was a blast. I just love the geo on this bicycle. If I pick one of these up, i'll probably build it from the ground up, around xx1 and a RS Pike at 130 and some derby rims.

RIP Alloy - This bike was not on my radar but recommended and I really like this bike a lot. Surprisingly good climber for this much suspension. Fun downhill and everything in between. I was surprised how playful it was. felt lighter than it was. You could totally race this bike if you set it up a tad lighter. Probably the quiver killer bike of the group. For a grand more, you get the carbon version, but I'm not sure if it's worth it.

In the end what I'm realizing is that these days, i'm not too sure you can make a wrong decision. All the rides I've noticed subtle differences, but all were fun in one way or another. For what I'm after, The Yeti, Camber, Salsa and Niner could all be set up in such a way that I'll be happy riding them for at least a few years.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I would recommend also looking at the Intense Spider 29 comp - that bike also seems to fit what you are looking for.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Devinci Atlas
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Wanted to bring this thread back around because I am making the same decision right now. Did the OP pick one or ever test ride the camber evo?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by wesmeyer11 View Post
    Wanted to bring this thread back around because I am making the same decision right now. Did the OP pick one or ever test ride the camber evo?
    Not sure, but i've ridden the camber evo and the thing is gnarly!
    2015 Epic Expert WC
    Sworks Phenom saddle, EC70 flat bars and seatpost, crankbrothers candy 3's

prefers the wide stance
    Sep 2007
    Ripley vs. Spesh Camber Evo Carbon vs. V2 Horsethief xx1-photo-5-.jpg
    So, I did end up getting a short ride on the Camber Evo - Enough that I bought one - the Camber Expert Carbon Evo. Like I said in an earlier post, I'm not too sure you can go wrong with most rigs out there today...It's just tough getting to demo enough of them to figure out which bike will be right for you.

Now, with the Camber, I switched to XT brakes, 200F 180R, and then I built up some Derby-CX Ray-I9 Wheels. The stock wheels are nice, but no comparison to these - I'm 6.1 205 lbs and I run the front at 15psi and the rear at 20psi. Mated with the stock tires. Super nice upgrade

In short, this is the most fun full suspension bike I've ridden. I absolutely love riding it. Defines the term 'trail bike' - does everything and does it well. 120mm Pike might be the best part of the spec: It's smooth and super stiff and steers so well. I rode 3 days in Park City this past weekend and it handled everything better than I could have ever expected - climbing technical stuff was outstanding (Sweeny's, John's, Tour De Suds, Team Big Bear, etc); Traverses like Mid Mountain, Bowhunter and Lost Prospector are super fun, but the bike is permagrins on the flowy stuff like Deer Crest, Naildriver and Spiro. While I don't huck much, I did ride down Fireswamp in DV and it would do fine there, I'm just too old and not brave enough to let the bike take me through those at speed, so I can't comment too much on more all mtn type trails.

My previous and current bikes have all been non big brand names (Moots, Jones, Niner, Salsa, etc), but now I'm sold on the big name bikes ability to put solid R&D resources into making pretty sweet bikes.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    AWESOME! Glad you like it! I agree it is a SUPER fun bike!
    2015 Epic Expert WC
    Sworks Phenom saddle, EC70 flat bars and seatpost, crankbrothers candy 3's

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    I've got a fully custom Camber Evo alloy for sale if anyone's in the market.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    just out of curiosity what is the size and weight of that bad boy?

prefers the wide stance
    Sep 2007
    I have not weighed it, but i've heard my size lrg is ~26 lbs. I swapped the brakes, bars and wheels. I would bet I dropped ~3/4 of a pound - Maybe a bit more.

I will say that it feels lighter than my 2011 Alloy Jet 9.

JCL
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    That bike is a total riot.

Cassoulet forever !
    I don t really understand the comments on shimano brakes.

If you don't like a graby feeling, juste use the coumpoud (not metallic) pads. Very good modulation.
    Frenchspeaking 29"ers community site http://VingtNeuf.org

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 20.100 FR View Post
    I don t really understand the comments on shimano brakes.

If you don't like a graby feeling, juste use the coumpoud (not metallic) pads. Very good modulation.

I dont know know why all the bad publicity of the Formula brakes . I have the T1s on my camber expert EVO a for there the best brakes I've ever had . I think the issue much like Avid is the bleed process and the pad compound . If your handy and learn how to properly bleed the brakes and change pads they work awesome !
    2013 Specialized Camber Carbon EVO Expert 26.5lbs/2014 YETI SB95C , KS LEV seat post,Nextie Carbon Wheelset/Hope Hubs

Trips for Kids Denver
    Carbon is coming to the Horsethief!
    " I'm not inclined to resign to maturity "

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    too late now, but a BIG vote for the SB95c!

I have spent extensive time on camber Evo, Ripley and SB95, and the SB is my favorite, no question!

it climbs as well as the other two, but descends much better.

cheers!
    holiday

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jnicosia View Post
    I dont know know why all the bad publicity of the Formula brakes . I have the T1s on my camber expert EVO a for there the best brakes I've ever had . I think the issue much like Avid is the bleed process and the pad compound . If your handy and learn how to properly bleed the brakes and change pads they work awesome !
    I agree. I have the 2013 camber expert evo and I don't understand the negative comments regarding the Formulas. I was coming off of XTR brakes and had no problem adjusting to the lower level formulas. Was XTR better? Sure. But the Formulas aren't that bad at all...especially when compared to AVIDs

Monster FTW
    I've been doing the same comparisons. I was really torn between a 2015 carbon Horsethief and a Camber Carbon Evo. I rode the Ripley as well and I didn't like it, I found the rear suspension to be squishy and hard to tune. I also managed to OTB on that bike during a test ride, it was just out of control. I really like the Horsethief a lot. It's a lot of fun to ride. Ultimately, I'm getting a Camber Carbon Evo. I like the warranty better and I think that Specialized has been doing carbon longer which makes me feel a bit more comfortable with it.
    2014 Specialized Camber Carbon Evo

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Trying to decide between Camber EVO, Horsethief carbon and LaPierre Zesty 729 (2014 model). I managed to get a test ride on a regular camber but there is no way to test ride the other two around here. I would get the Zesty something like 1500 cheaper than the other two and it's basically the same suspension design as the specialized have. Because of that, I'm leaning towards the Zesty (though it would be nice to sit on one before buying because of the wide chainstays some people are mentioning). Would upgrade to carbon wheels, bars, dropper post and maybe a stiffer fork. Basically a dream bike. The Horsethief is also appealing because the 2015 carbon model looks good and it has shorter stays but I have a feeling it is not as stable as the other two. That one could also be bought as a frameset, that's a good thing.

Anyone have ridden the Camber EVO and Zesty 29 models, are there any major differences? Or are they both as awesome as I think they are? Is the Horsethief a real contender? The bike will be my trailrocket which I would occasionally use on XC-courses but mostly aggressive and technical trailriding with as much speed as possible.

Zesty 729

mtbr member

Ripley vs. Spesh Camber Evo Carbon vs. V2 Horsethief xx1

If you want it for racing I would look for something a bit more pedaling efficient than the Camber FSR. Giant has a very good pedaling efficiency and also has an Evo model, it's called Anthem SX. If you want to know more about pedaling efficiency you can check the linkagedesign blogspot. There's the 2014 Camber analyzed and it's pretty bad in terms of efficiency.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    No, I don't want it for racing. I've had enough of short travel race bikes. I just wrote it would be my trail bike that I could occasionally use in races. And I also wrote 29. I know the differences between pedaling platforms, on paper and even more from real experiences. Maestro is a very good platform, so is DW-link, but this time I'm looking more for fun than the best lap time.

Have owned the AnthemX, TranceX, Reign, two Pivots, two Treks and currently on an Epic29, Pivot Firebird and Mondraker Summum. Also have ridden Mach 4, Mach 6, Mach 429, Camber Comp Carbon29, S-works Stumpy29, Enduro29, Canyon Spectral 29, Process 111 and Process 153.

In other words, I know what's out there and what I want from a bike. I am after a capable 29 with reasonable stack height and geometry that transfers into fun. And that is why I'm very interested in the bikes mentioned in my earlier post. The Zesty29 and the Camber EVO, and also a little bit the Horsethief. And also the Spider 29 Comp

Could post a video if you want to know how I ride my XC-bike, so you get the point.
    Last edited by _tarzan; 08-20-2014 at 01:55 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2