mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Ripley or Primer

Does anyone have any experience with a Ripley LS and an Intense Primer? Looking for a medium travel bike for endurance racing and long days on the trail. Love the Ripley, but given I live close to Santa Cruz, it seems everyone has one. Concerns on the Intense are quality: it seems that many people, including myself, have had issues with Intense - more so than Ibis.

The Intense can accommodate a 150 dropper whereas I don't think that is true for the Ripley for my inseam. 31".

Intense looks better, is lighter, and would be unique

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Given the warranty from SC, your proximity to SC, it's hard not to err on the side of preparedness and ease of warranty service. There's a reason why everyone close to you has one. Compare their crash replacement fine print. I'd give up a lil weight for peace of mind when the !@#$ hits the fan.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by thesmokingman View Post
    Given the warranty from SC, your proximity to SC, it's hard not to err on the side of preparedness and ease of warranty service. There's a reason why everyone close to you has one. Compare their crash replacement fine print. I'd give up a lil weight for peace of mind when the !@#$ hits the fan.
    Who is SC? Santa Cruz? Neither of those bikes is made by Santa Cruz. The Ripley is made by Ibis and the Primer is from Intense. I personally don't like the plain jane looks of the Ripley so didn't even bother riding one. However, the people that own them seem to be very happy with them.

As far as warranty issues go, hopefully you won't have to deal with it but I read that it's hit & miss with Intense but my buddy personally had a linkage crack on his Spyder and they sent him a new one overnight for free so that was pretty impressive. I haven't had any issues with my Primer and have to say, I enjoy it more and more every ride. If you do alot of climbing, it is a dream. I also bought it with the intention of doing some endurance events. If you look on the Intense forum, the only problem I see with Primer is the cheesy rock guard on the downtube. Mine came with an aftermarket one by Magik Graphics that has been bulletproof.
    2018 Intense Tracer
    2017 Intense Primer
    2016 Santa Cruz 5010

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by k2rider1964 View Post
    Who is SC? Santa Cruz? Neither of those bikes is made by Santa Cruz. The Ripley is made by Ibis and the Primer is from Intense.
    lol, I dunno why I had SC on my mind sorry. Ibis is in SC, and well I was just thinking SC!

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by k2rider1964 View Post
    Who is SC? Santa Cruz? Neither of those bikes is made by Santa Cruz. The Ripley is made by Ibis and the Primer is from Intense. I personally don't like the plain jane looks of the Ripley so didn't even bother riding one. However, the people that own them seem to be very happy with them.

As far as warranty issues go, hopefully you won't have to deal with it but I read that it's hit & miss with Intense but my buddy personally had a linkage crack on his Spyder and they sent him a new one overnight for free so that was pretty impressive. I haven't had any issues with my Primer and have to say, I enjoy it more and more every ride. If you do alot of climbing, it is a dream. I also bought it with the intention of doing some endurance events. If you look on the Intense forum, the only problem I see with Primer is the cheesy rock guard on the downtube. Mine came with an aftermarket one by Magik Graphics that has been bulletproof.
    Thanks for the feedback. What size dropper do you run on your Primer? Also, if you don't mind sharing, what size frame and what's your unseen? I want a 150 for the sole reason that I can sit flat footed when catching breath. : ).

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by thesmokingman View Post
    Thanks. I live near SC where Ibis HQ is but was not considering an SC bike for the same reason as the Ibis. Actually there are 20x as many SC bikes at Demo or UCSC as Ripley's.

mtbr member
    I'm on a medium Primer with a 150mm dropper, 32" inseam. The post is nearly slammed to the collar. Haven't ridden the Ripley but I've owned an Evil Following and a Canfield Riot. I rate the Primer very highly.

See picture for seat collar reference.

Fat Skis/Fat Tires
    Turner Czar with a 120mm fork.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by slider_phil View Post
    I'm on a medium Primer with a 150mm dropper, 32" inseam. The post is nearly slammed to the collar. Haven't ridden the Ripley but I've owned an Evil Following and a Canfield Riot. I rate the Primer very highly.

See picture for seat collar reference.
    Thanks. Awesome looking bike. Two questions: what kind of dropper are you running and what are the specs on you Cane Creek shock?

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Owned a v1 Ripley and demo'd a Primer. Primer felt like it had much better ride refinement overall. One of the best choices for a sweet spot trail bike, that directly competes with the likes of a SJ FSR. Wouldn't say the Ripley competes directly with a Camber, but its short wheelbase and XC whippiness is similar, only with a more capable feel due to a stiff and composed frame and rear susp.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by onobed View Post
    Thanks. Awesome looking bike. Two questions: what kind of dropper are you running and what are the specs on you Cane Creek shock?

It's a Fox Transfer 150mm dropper. And it's a 200x51 Cane Creek IL. I haven't ridden the bike with the stock Fox shock so I can't comment on that. But the rear end of the bike feels great with the Cane Creek. Just about got it dialed in to how I like it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    The V3 Ripley LS is very similar to the Primer. I would say it depends on your set-up and type of trails you frequent. Ripley for tight switchbacks and technical climbs. The Primer for fast stable descents over rocks and drops. Personally, these are the top 2 I'm going to demo this year. I like the fact that IBIS has clearance for i35 rims and Schwabee 29x2.6 NN tires because that's what I'll be running.
    [COLOR="Black"]HARDMTNBIKER on Instagram

Seven Sola SLX ENVE MTN SS
    Sir9 Carbon Niner SS
    #1gearallyear #Iridemtn

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by hardmtnbiker View Post
    The V3 Ripley LS is very similar to the Primer. I would say it depends on your set-up and type of trails you frequent. Ripley for tight switchbacks and technical climbs. The Primer for fast stable descents over rocks and drops. Personally, these are the top 2 I'm going to demo this year. I like the fact that IBIS has clearance for i35 rims and Schwabee 29x2.6 NN tires because that's what I'll be running.
    The downer on the Ibis is that the colors this year are terrible IMHO, it's probably overbuilt for what I need - I am the guy that will spend an extra $100 on cranks because they are 50 grams lighter, and everyone has one. I have ridden it and it rides quite nicely.

I have not had a chance to ride the Primer and need to find one. The only downside I see is the press fit BB.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    I demoed both and didn't feel that big of a difference to say one was better than the other to me. I bought the Primer, Large pro build, and put Light Bicycle wheels on it that are 29mm ID, NN 2.35 front and rear. I had the bike shop put the 140mm air spring in the Fox along with the MRP ramp control cartiridge. It's 26 lbs. with pedals. It's a real pleasure to ride.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    PF BB is a deal breaker. I will never go there again.
    [COLOR="Black"]HARDMTNBIKER on Instagram

Seven Sola SLX ENVE MTN SS
    Sir9 Carbon Niner SS
    #1gearallyear #Iridemtn

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Are you still riding the primer. Ive got a following mb but want a trail bike that can cover some xc racing as well. The following is just too much bike. Was thinking of going for a primer or Ripley