Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

RIP 9 RDO with 120mm Fork as XC/trail bike

3K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  MagicCarpet 
#1 ·
Hello mtbr community. New to forum. Thinking of ordering a Niner RIP 9 RDO with Fox CTD 120mm Fork/XX1 drive/niner cockpit/mavic crossmax SLR wheelset as relaxed XC/trail bike. At 55, I am not an overly aggressive rider and want a stable ride and one comfortable for long all day rides. I have been a long Specialized rider and demo'ed the Epic and the Stumpjumper. Seems the rip 9 rdo geo is between these bikes along with the Camber. Will the RIP 9 be a good choice or keep looking?

#5 ·
Yes, I looked at the Jet 9 RDO, just thought the extra rear travel of the RIP would be more comfortable, stable on descents and beneficial on all mountain trails. I don't race XC often, but really have enjoyed 6-12 hour endurance races with emphasis on participation only. Just fun. I plan on riding Moab, Fruita and other southwest trails once I retire... Yes, this is my retirement bike!

#6 ·
the rip is deffinitly a great bike, it was one of my top choices when i was looking for a FS 29er last year. it may have just been the set up of the bike but it was very very comfortable. i ended up buying a stumpjumper because of the price, either way i think you would be more than happy.
good luck with your buy!

#7 ·
A week ago I would have said you are mad wanting to put a 120mm fork on a Rip9 RDO when you could just put your gear on a Jet9 carbon or Jet9 RDO.

However owning both the Jet9 RDO & Rip9 RDO ( Now ) I still beleave that the Jet9 RDO would be the better bike for you, But the Rip9 RDO pedals much better than I thought it would, Infact it is very good.

The ride on the Rip9 RDO is smoother than the Jet9 RDO & only a 530 gram Approx weight penatly.

The Jet9 RDO is the best pedaling FS bike I have ever ridden & the Rip9 RDO is not far behind it at all so if that is the way you think you want to go then I think you will be very happy with how well it goes.

#8 ·
Since you are putting a premium on comfort and extra travel over weight and race-ability, I think you are making a good choice. The RIP will absorb hits and landings better and in general give you a more forgiving ride thru rocks and roots. It still climbs really well and has an active but low-bob rear end.

Suggestion: If you aren't already planning on a 15 or 20 mm axle, I highly recommend it.

#11 ·
Email from Niner confirming first shipment sold before docking in the bay. However, I ordered my RIP today through a local store and niner gave a ship to store date of April 15. So if there is anyone considering the RIP, they might want to order ASAP....

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.