Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Rim tape for tubeless options

So, I've dabbled in tubeless on my MTB as well as on my road bike. I've used Stan's, WSS, and Orange Seal...

What I have not really figured out is, what is the best tape option? I've used Stan's tape, as well as Gorilla tape.

The Stan's has had some nipple leaks on my 29er, so I need to re-do it.

Gorilla tape seals nicely, but man, what a sticky mess when trying to get a tire off of my son's bike. The goo glued the tire on pretty hard after a year, and I almost had to resort to steel irons to get it off. I don't want that problem on the next install!

Is there any other option I am not missing? Is one of the commercial options better than the others? Someone mentioned strapping tape on the home-brew thread...

FWIW, I am using American Classic stems.

mtbr member
    I've never understood the need to save pennies using cheap alternatives. I have only used Stan's tape and have no need to replace it for years. You mention leaks from the nipples. It is important to pull/stretch the tape as tight as you can. Another important step in my opinion, is to first put a tube in the tyre after newly taping and inflating to maximum pressure. Leave it at least over night or longer if you can. This ensures the tape is properly attached. One thing you need to be cautious of is when mounting or removing tyres with levers is not to lever against the tape. It can cause holes or move/unseat the tape.
    The trouble with having an open mind is that people will insist on trying to put things in it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I second using Stan's tape, it's the best option out there.

Good deal on stan's tape here;
    Stans Notubes Yellow Tubeless Rim Tape 60yd x 25mm Crest Arch Flow Carbon | eBay

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Awesome. Bought it. Wasn't trying to be cheap, just good. FWIW, Slime is now sending Gorilla Tape with their tubeless kits. I found it to be a big sticky mess when taking the tire off, though it NEVER leaked.

I think the 29er leaked because I never did the tube press thing. I'll do that next time.

Going tubeless on the road bike is more of a challenge, less people trying it. I have one tire tubeless now, will switch the other soon. I'll use my new HUGE roll of tape and Orange Seal goo. They gave me a couple of bottles at Sea Otter.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronnie View Post
    Another important step in my opinion, is to first put a tube in the tyre after newly taping and inflating to maximum pressure. Leave it at least over night or longer if you can. This ensures the tape is properly attached.
    This matters A LOT in the long run!
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

For those a bit more price-conscious, this works just as well:

JVCC TPS-04 Appliance-Grade Tensilized Polypropylene Strapping Tape at FindTape.com

You can also find it via Amazon and other sites.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by stremf View Post
    For those a bit more price-conscious, this works just as well:

JVCC TPS-04 Appliance-Grade Tensilized Polypropylene Strapping Tape at FindTape.com

You can also find it via Amazon and other sites.
    Yep, here is what I use with ZERO leaks on multiple tubeless rims.
    Amazon.com: Scotch Film Strapping Tape 8898 Ivory, 24 mm x 55 m (Pack of 1): Industrial & Scientific
    Former bicycle mechanic for 8 years, current soil scientist.

Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Bike Whisperer View Post
    Amazon.com: Scotch Film Strapping Tape 8898 Ivory, 24 mm x 55 m (Pack of 1): Industrial & Scientific
    That's even better pricing. I'll have to try that next go around.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I use gorilla tape, the trick is to cut it down so that it jut covers the spoke holes not from side to side on the rim. Inflating with a tube is a must, I only do it for a minute or two before I remove it and do the final seat on the tire and add Stan's. I've never had to leave the tube for and extended period of time.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I've been using 1" gorilla since I found that it appeared identical with what was being shipped by Enve for my carbon rims (the Enve is slightly wider, but the 1" works fine for me and doesn't require cutting). Holds really well without needing to put a tube in it first - just need to make really sure to pull tight and press it well into the rim notch while applying, then go back and make sure that you press the tape outside the rim notch also (they have a video showing how to do it ).

But the adhesive left behind is a massive cleanup project when I replace the tire and the couple of times that I tried it, it wouldn't hold reliably when I unmounted and remounted the tire (maybe if I tried the tube trick). And given the cleanup problem, I'm going to try the poly-packing tape for my next seal! I'm really tired of painfully using a plastic knife to get enough of the old adhesive off to put a new layer on !

mtbr member
    Just built up a set of new wheels with the LB wide carbon 29 rim with Orange Tape(wide) WTB valves with Specialized tires and Orange Seal are holding air better than with gorilla tape I used on the the old wheels. I really like the Orange Tape/Seal combo. The O tape is lighter than the gorilla tape even with two layers I put down just to be safe.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Bike Whisperer View Post
    This.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Kawigreen99 View Post
    This.
    So I got some of this tape and it is a pain in the butt to work with (WTB speedisc clincher rims). Not supple at all - plastic-y and crinkly if not handled with kid gloves.
    Finally got a method that seemed ok: mounted one edge all the way around, and then worked in toward the nipple eyelets an inch or two at a time, avoiding bubbles as much as possible. Then finished the final side. Mounted tire and tubes. Left inflated overnight. But still seems plenty bubbly. Had to go back over it all with my thumbnail to really seal off the edges.
    I used the entire width of the tape. Should I be trimming it so that it more less only covers the nipples?

B.Ike
    no need to trim (unless it's so wide it gets into the area where the tire bead goes into. I use that same tape w/out problems. Pull hard as you are installing to avoid bubbles.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Ahhh, so STRETCH the heck out of it?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cpinkhouse View Post
    Ahhh, so STRETCH the heck out of it?
    Exactly! I still don't see the point of cheap alternatives but there is lots of information available on how to fit tape.

The trouble with having an open mind is that people will insist on trying to put things in it.

B.Ike
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronnie View Post
    Exactly! I still don't see the point of cheap alternatives but there is lots of information available on how to fit tape.

12 dollars for 10yards or 5 dollars for 55meters. Equal performance. I can't see the point in buying the more expensive product. Not being snarky, just saying.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Got that strapping tape on best I could. Definitely not bubble-free...
    But I aired up and sealed the system this morning. All's well for now. Thanks for the help!

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    scotch film strapping tape 24 mm x55m. I liked it better then the stans. It was a little bit thinner then the stans but barely. It also formed to the inside of the rim better then stans. It also is just as sticky. So who ever uses scotch strapping tape +1.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I ran out of Yellow tape and used this tape which is used to repair Cricket bats. It worked really well never had to take it off my rim but it comes off my Cricket bat if its warmed with a hair dryer first and doesnt leave any sticky residue.

CRICKET/TENNIS BAT REPAIR TAPE SELF ADHESIVE FIBRE GLASS 25MM | eBay

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I'm a first time Stan's user and need some advice.
    Fitted 25mm yellow tape to some Arch EX rims. I've had tubes and tyres on at 35psi overnight to bed the tape in.
    I had a bugger of a job getting the tape tight and central at the same time to the extent that edges of the tape are up close to the outside edge of the rim in some (a lot) of places.
    Am I going to have trouble sealing the tyre to the rim?
    Should I do it all again?
    Why isn't 21mm tape used? I would have though that would be easier to get central and would surely cover the spoke holes.

Guidance please.

Steve

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by plugp7 View Post
    I'm a first time Stan's user and need some advice.
    Fitted 25mm yellow tape to some Arch EX rims. I've had tubes and tyres on at 35psi overnight to bed the tape in.
    I had a bugger of a job getting the tape tight and central at the same time to the extent that edges of the tape are up close to the outside edge of the rim in some (a lot) of places.
    Am I going to have trouble sealing the tyre to the rim?
    Should I do it all again?
    Why isn't 21mm tape used? I would have though that would be easier to get central and would surely cover the spoke holes.

Guidance please.

Steve
    While you had the tyre fitted with tubes, did you check/see if the tyres were fitted uniformly around the rim? If so you shouldn't have any problems. The sealant should take care of any inconsistencies. Not sure why you find it difficult to fit the tape though. You should be pulling/stretching long strips of the tape before placing it down into the rim. Have you watched the video on how to fit the tape that I posted above?

The wider tape is recommended as the tyre will hold the edges down preventing it from lifting.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Tyres fit fine around rim.
    I realised my error re: 21mm tape as soon as I posted it!
    Guess the stretching and getting centre gets easier the more you do it. Doing for the first time I'm not sure how accurate I needed to be. I'm sure the next time it will go on better.

transmitter~receiver
    Second the 8898.
    I've been using it for at least 2 years now without any problems.
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

mtbr member
    anything works so long as you use 29er-specific tape!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast