The Riddler

Rim Strip for Mavic 29er

Just got some of the Mavic Cro29max or whatever they're called...I was wondering if I needed to throw some rip strips in them or if yellow stans spoke tape would do the trick to get them tubeless

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    they should be ready for tubeless as is

Former Bike Wrench
    Mavic UST rims do not require any rim tape...just the tubeless valve and your set.

transmitter~receiver
    I think it depends on what tires you want to run. Some folks recommend rim strips for running regular tires tubeless on UST rims. They will not require anything other than a valve if you have been able to find the last of a dying breed of 29er UST tires. They will not require a rim strip and may or may not require sealant if you use a "tubeless ready" tire like a Bonty TLR, Geax TNT, or Specialized 2Bliss. The will certainly require sealant and maybe a rim strip if you want to convert a regular tire.

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    no rim strips, no yellow tape, sealant for anything except UST tires ( if you can find any)

The Riddler
    yeah i was planning on using regular tires

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaparzo
    There are a decent selection of Tubeless Ready tires that have UST Spec beads that will work very reliably without a rim strip. Bontrager TLR, Geax TNT, Specialized 2Bliss, and Hutchinson Tubeless Ready tires will work great...some don't even use sealant.

Using a regular tires is a little more risky, all wire bead tires I've used have worked fine but I have blown a Bontrager folding bead 29er tire (not a TLR) when the bead ruptured... fortunately not while riding.

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaparzo
    why?
    youve got some nice tubeless wheels , spend a little bit more and you wont have to mess around, the rim strips would cost $20 each
    Tlr tires cost the same as regular tires