mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Which Rim:Salsa Gordo or Sun-Ringle MTX 33??

Hello all,

I would like to hear some opinions on which rim to go with. I need to rebuild my rear wheel due to a defective hub and was thinking about lacing it to a new rim. The "old wheel" has about 200 miles on it but I need to replace the hub shell as it is defective. Since I'm going to rebuild the wheel I would like to replace the Salsa Delgado Cross rims with a disc specific rim.

This wheelset is for my Yelli Screamy and will see a lot of abuse (trail riding and all mountain) by a 225# clyde. So the wheels will need to be strong! I've narrowed it down to the above 2 rims as they are reported to pretty tough rims.

I am leaning toward the MTX 33's based on Mikesee's review here.

The only reason that I haven't pulled the trigger on the MTX 33's is that I would need to buy new spokes for the MTX 33's as they have a taller profile (smaller ERD) but could reuse the spokes from the delgado's on the Salsa Gordo's.

Here's what it boils down to...is it worth buying new spokes to run the MTX 33's?

Thanks and sorry for the long post,
    Winky

mtbr member
    I've run both. They both are awesome. Stiff, burly, ridonculously strong.

The only difference is Gordos sealed up more easily tubeless (two sets of tires tried), and the MTX33's took a lot of futzing to get Panaracer Rampages to stop leaking. That's an extremely limited case, so don't take it as gospel, just as one data point to keep investigating with.

That said, I outweigh you, ride the snot out of my MTX33's and I'm not looking for anything else.

rider
    Jan 2005
    If you want the tougher wheel go with the MTX33. Especially if you will be building a 32h wheel. I would give the nod to the Gordo if you are are going with 36 spokes as they are plenty strong that way.

I'm the same weight as you and all my wheels are built 36h.
    Abandoned the 26" wheel in May '03

workin' it Administrator
    I will second the strong but impossible to tubeless for the MTX33. I have tried everything and probably spend enough to have made up the difference between the Sun rims and the Stans Flows I thought were too expensive. The bead seat is not designed to ever work as a tubeless bead seat. They can be run tubeless but they will always burp and will always be difficult to seal up.

However the gordos are even more expensive then the flows. Have you considered flows?
    Try this: HTFU

mtbr member
    Flows aren't strong enough for his application. Mikesee even warned against me using them and I think Winky will abuse his wheels more than I abuse mine.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Based on what I hear and Mikesee's review I think I'm going to go with the MTX 33.

29erchico had a great point about spoke count, that is, since I have a 32 hole hub the MTX 33 will give me a stronger wheel than the 32 hole with the Gordo. It might be worth buying new spokes to get a stronger wheel.

As far as the issues with running the MTX 33's tubeless, I don't plan on running these wheels tubeless and will likely set them up with some burly tires like WTB Dissents in the future (ie: when I move to Hawaii, as my riding will truly be all-mountain/DH on sharp volcanic rock). So I'm not worried about tubeless compatibility.

Thanks for your input and happy trails! I'll post these up once I get them built.
    Winky

workin' it Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Winky View Post
    Based on what I hear and Mikesee's review I think I'm going to go with the MTX 33.

29erchico had a great point about spoke count, that is, since I have a 32 hole hub the MTX 33 will give me a stronger wheel than the 32 hole with the Gordo. It might be worth buying new spokes to get a stronger wheel.

As far as the issues with running the MTX 33's tubeless, I don't plan on running these wheels tubeless and will likely set them up with some burly tires like WTB Dissents in the future (ie: when I move to Hawaii, as my riding will truly be all-mountain/DH on sharp volcanic rock). So I'm not worried about tubeless compatibility.

Thanks for your input and happy trails! I'll post these up once I get them built.
    Winky
    I'll agree that they are insanely strong. I run them on my rigid bike here in arizona with dissents (which BTW have disappeared from WTB's website, probably out of production) and they can take a beating. They built up tough and straight, have a really strong sidewall, can take really huge lateral loading, and are really round plus so reasonably priced you can get 2 for the price of one salsa.
    Try this: HTFU

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I'm in a similar situation. im brand new to the sport and after only 4 rides im regretting being cheap on purchasing a bike with rim brakes and need to upgrade to disc. all the mounts are on the frame and fork, but unfortunatley my rims are not disc compatible. im also 250# and need the strength. i will be following this thread closely as it appears to be offering some good info already. not to thread jack but how much coin shouldonei be expecting for a similar wheel set?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by glally View Post
    unfortunatley my rims are not disc compatible.
    Wait, what? Your rims don't care if you run disks. You can have machined sidewalls on a wheel with discs, doesn't matter. Rims can lack *rim brake* compatibility, though.

...or did you mean your hubs aren't disc compatible?

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    smart ass... yea my hubs are not compatible, ill make sure to watch my jargon when your around.

beater
    Just saw this thread. I see the OP has already decided on the MTX33s, which would have been my $0.02 too. I've ridden both, and think the MTX33 is the more durable rim. I also noticed far fewer flats with the the MTX33s than with the Gordos (using tubes).
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.