Short-Change-Hero

Rigid fork with longer A to C?!

So I am just about finished with my trail bike with while take over 75% of my riding duty which means that my Inbred will be moved over to full time commuter duty. Since I will not really need the Tower Pro that is on it aside from the occasional time I decide to take it for a ride or loan it to a friend/family member that needs a bike for a ride I am looking to replace the fork.

With that said, I have found that the 100mm Manitou Tower Pro has an A-to-C of 510mm. I have done some searching but cannot seem to find anything larger than about 480mm. Not looking for anything fancy, so no need for carbon uber-expensive forks. Is there something out there that is close to that A-to-C or am I stuck with going 480mm for the rigid?
    Inbred 29r (Purple People Eater)
    HH Thumper (Blackheart)
    Bikes for Boobs F*ck Cancer! One too many, 6/24/13. Miss ya ma'.

Neg reppers r my biatches
    Quote Originally Posted by gregnash View Post
    So I am just about finished with my trail bike with while take over 75% of my riding duty which means that my Inbred will be moved over to full time commuter duty. Since I will not really need the Tower Pro that is on it aside from the occasional time I decide to take it for a ride or loan it to a friend/family member that needs a bike for a ride I am looking to replace the fork.

With that said, I have found that the 100mm Manitou Tower Pro has an A-to-C of 510mm. I have done some searching but cannot seem to find anything larger than about 480mm. Not looking for anything fancy, so no need for carbon uber-expensive forks. Is there something out there that is close to that A-to-C or am I stuck with going 480mm for the rigid?
    I am no genius (though many on mtbr would disagree), and while I dont know how much "sag" you would run on that suspension fork, but assuming even 20%, the resultant riding axle to crown would be 490, not 510 thus, not much different than 480

as for options, i am no longer a bike/parts whore so i have no clue as to options to recommend

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Re: Rigid fork with longer A to C?!

470-480 is the correct length for a rigid fork on that frame.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Short-Change-Hero
    Ok thanks for the info guys. Completely forgot to take into account the sagged measurement. So basically the 470-480mm fork would be just fine for it? Any recommendations on a good fork that I can use for fireroad training and commuting? Like I said, when the time comes for someone to borrow or I want to ride it on trail I will switch out the fork.
    HH Thumper (Blackheart)

Ok thanks for the info guys. Completely forgot to take into account the sagged measurement. So basically the 470-480mm fork would be just fine for it? Any recommendations on a good fork that I can use for fireroad training and commuting? Like I said, when the time comes for someone to borrow or I want to ride it on trail I will switch out the fork.
    while i think tough to find, the steel inbred/on one fork was super. But honestly, it doesnt matter at all. While there are differences theoretically, especially for a below average joe like me, there is absolutely no practical difference on the trail or fireroad where it matters other than that the average bike rider imagines in their head to help rationalize the stupid purchase they just made based on reading mtbr or marketing etc (self included)

p.s. i like your signaure of F*ck cancer, well said but mtbr is made for solving the worlds real problems so i wont say anything more about cancer

mtbr member
    May 2009
    The Surly Krampus fork has an AC of 483mm and can be had cheap. I used one to go rigid on my Gen 1 N9 to keep the geo fairly slack.

Short-Change-Hero
    Thanks guys... got a couple that I am watching on eBay. Just will have to get a separate crown race for it and then should be good to go once I grab one. I am going to wait until I get the trail bike done and then that will give me a chance to pull down the Tower and rebuild it with new seals.
    HH Thumper (Blackheart)

Thanks guys... got a couple that I am watching on eBay. Just will have to get a separate crown race for it and then should be good to go once I grab one. I am going to wait until I get the trail bike done and then that will give me a chance to pull down the Tower and rebuild it with new seals.
    all this talk of a new fork has me wanting to buy a new bike i dont need. thanks

Short-Change-Hero
    Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle View Post
    all this talk of a new fork has me wanting to buy a new bike i dont need. thanks
    You always need a new bike!!! Whether your marriage/relationship can handle that, along with your wallet, is another story! LOL.
    HH Thumper (Blackheart)

mtbr member
    The Vassago Odis fork mates up with the inbred frame pretty well. Matches the seat stays, at least.

Short-Change-Hero
    Really wish I could find one of the first gen steel On-One forks for the Inbred but that is a task. Don't want to spend a whole grip on the fork so will keep my eye out for some deals.
    HH Thumper (Blackheart)

Ride Everything
    Some others to consider:
    Carver carbon
    Salsa Firestarter
    Whisky carbon

All of the above should be available in the 470-485mm range.
    GRAVELBIKE.COM - ride everything

Short-Change-Hero
    Sweet.. didn't even think of the salsa stuff and then remembered my LBS is a dealer. Probably pick up one of their cheaper cromo forks (like for the KM) from my LBS.
    HH Thumper (Blackheart)

Sweet.. didn't even think of the salsa stuff and then remembered my LBS is a dealer. Probably pick up one of their cheaper cromo forks (like for the KM) from my LBS.
    Krampus for under $100 is pretty good choice to keep it cheap and have it work as another poster noted

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TBMD9er View Post
    The Surly Krampus fork has an AC of 483mm and can be had cheap. I used one to go rigid on my Gen 1 N9 to keep the geo fairly slack.

That's what I'm using on my gen1 N9 and love it!

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Whisky carbon #9 with 480mm a2c and 15mm qr

also the new MRP fork got 490mm a2c and 15mm qr

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I got my Krampus fork for cheap of ebay. It was a perfect match to the 100mm Rock Shox fork it replaced.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by rob1035 View Post
    That's what I'm using on my gen1 N9 and love it!
    Nice!! Did you take advantage of the extra space for a nice husky front tire?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rigid fork with longer A to C?!-n9-fat-front-frnt.jpg  

mtbr member
    Salsa Firestarter Steel fork - 483mm A2C

Ride Everything
    Quote Originally Posted by calzonical View Post
    Salsa Firestarter Steel fork - 483mm A2C
    Anyone know the max tire that this fork will accommodate?
    GRAVELBIKE.COM - ride everything