El Gorrrriiii
    Jan 2012

Rider Height and Rider Weight on Frames ?

I was wondering if your a bit on the fluffy size should you worry about your frame. For example, I'm on a Giant Anthem X 29er 2 on a Large Frame. On Giant Bikes a Large will take you to about 6'2 .... However, I'm about 6'1 280lbs... XL Frame on Giant Bike are at about just over 6'3... Will the Large Frame hold my weight, or should I go to the XL Frame due to my weight?
    Giant Anthem X29 ... with a few upgrades

mtbr member
    Frame size has nothing to do with the strength of the frame and everything to do with your height and skeletal proportions.

Get the right size frame for your hieght and proportions and pickan extra-strong frame for your weight. Look at the Clydesdale sub-forum.
    Thorn in your Sidewall
    Vassago Jabberwocky

WillWorkForTrail
    I'm 6'3" 220 and have an Anthem X29 XL. I've broken the frame twice. Reality check: You and I are big guys. I figured I might be pushing it with an XC frame, but it has a lifetime warranty, so I took the chance. In reality bigger guys like us need a stouter frame. XC frames have had every ounce shaved off they can manage, and you're going to sacrifice some strength in the frame to do it. That's why if you look at the warranty information on a Giant frame closely enough, they will tell you what sort of activities are covered under warranty if you're "JRA" and the frame breaks. I'm looking at a couple of options for a bit more rowdy bike, and leading the charge at the moment is the Guerrilla Gravity Smash.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Smaller frames should be ever so slightly stronger actually, due to less leverage stress, but get the correct size to fit you.

Wanna ride bikes?
    I agree your weight has Nothing to do with what size frame you should be riding. It's completely based on your height and body proportions.

I also agree that you should be looking at a stronger frame. It will save major headaches and money down the road. Try to avoid XC type bikes and look for something more "Trail" oriented.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

El Gorrrriiii
    Jan 2012
    Thank you everyone for the feedback. I was just wondering because I'm getting a super deal on a newer Anthem X 29er and it's a XL size and was wondering if I should stick to my Large Frame or since the deal is so amazing should I go with the XL Frame due to my weight. Would I feel that much of a riding difference my moving up a frame size? I'm at the tail end of the Large Frame size as well so that and price are factors in my thought process.

mtbr member
    get a bike that fits you. a "good deal" on a bike that is too big for you is a waste of money.

would you buy sneakers that are too big if they were to "good deal"? i mean, you could just wear four layers of socks and then they would fit, right?
    Thorn in your Sidewall
    Vassago Jabberwocky

Wanna ride bikes?
    Quote Originally Posted by LazyRid3r View Post
    Thank you everyone for the feedback. I was just wondering because I'm getting a super deal on a newer Anthem X 29er and it's a XL size and was wondering if I should stick to my Large Frame or since the deal is so amazing should I go with the XL Frame due to my weight. Would I feel that much of a riding difference my moving up a frame size? I'm at the tail end of the Large Frame size as well so that and price are factors in my thought process.
    Multiple people have explained that you weight DOES NOT have any impact on what size frame you should be on. Get that out of your mind.

I also agree with Mack, a great deal on the wrong bike is not a great deal, it's just the wrong bike.

Generally speaking, a size guide on a manufacturers web page is just a guide and not a strict rule. It can be a useful reference point but does not necessarily mean you have to stay within the suggested range.

If your shopping for a new bike I would strongly suggest looking for a stronger frame.

Good luck
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

mtbr member
    please don't come here to get someone to validate a foolish decision for you. get a strong bike that is the right size for you.

the L or XL might fit you. you'll have to find a way to test ride both or learn to compare geometry to something that you know fits you. your call. just ignore this nonsense about the relationship between the frame's size and it's strength. actually, at your weight, I doubt that an Anthem is going to be strong enough for you at all.
    Thorn in your Sidewall
    Vassago Jabberwocky

El Gorrrriiii
    Jan 2012
    What are some of the manufactures that make stronger frames?

mtbr member
    I don't happen to know, but I'll bet the Clydesdale Forum has lots of suggestions. start there.
    Thorn in your Sidewall
    Vassago Jabberwocky

Professional Crastinator
    Partially on-topic:
    Many frames are, in fact, designed for strength based on average human sizes and weights. A small frame with shorter tubes will often have thinner walls because the heaviest rider of that size is usually no more than 120#. As the frames get larger, tubes get longer, and thicker walls are needed to maintain rigidity. Not all companies do all that math, but the big ones def. have the resources.

If you need a strong bike (and don't forget the strong wheels), you need to shop around. Good place to start is in the clyde forum. XC equipment is probably not for you. Example: a heavy XC rider is probably riding all-mountain parts. A heavy all-mountain rider is probably riding some downhill parts. Our tandem is fitted with all-mountain parts. Heavy or aggressive tandem teams might be using motorcycle parts (at least brakes). Buy the right size bike and don't buy weight-weenie parts. You will have so much more fun when you don't have to worry/think about your equipment.

-F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    I would not worry about frame strength, especially if you have a warranty. Break it, fix it and enjoy. You will probably lose 50 pounds riding regularly 50 miles per week anyways.

Whatever bike you get, you should be most concerned with:
    Wheels - check the manufactures max weight. many wheels are not that high. You don't have to buy heavy wheels to have "strong" stout" wheels, so don't fall for that when reading forums and facebook. Flow Rims with DT comp spokes last to a hub like HOPe is a pretty reliable Clydesdale combo.

Fork - a 32MM fork is going to be a wet noodle. ESPECIALLY the fox32 and secondly a sid or reba, which is what comes on the bikes you are looking at. a Cannondale lefty would actually be a stronger fork at your weight if you get an XC bike, so you could look at a scalpel, but you will HAVE to get different rims because the Crest is under your weight I believe

Shock - You are going to be on the high end of the shock pressure spectrum given that frame design. It uses a lot of pressure to begin with and you will be on the high end.

The giant aluminum anthem is very light and I have seen more of those break than the carbon In my experience. Also, do not think you need to go out and buy a hard tail. Its better that you are comfortable so you can spend more time on the bike enjoying yourself and get that weight down to a more reasonable level for having even more fun on the bike. Unless for some reason your BF is 12% and you are a body builder and this is your weight, in which case I would just get a slightly rowdier bike.

Look at something with 34-36mm (Pike is 35) stanchions with reasonable travel so you don't hate pedaling it. Lots of bikes fit this bill. One is the intense primer foundation build. That is just one.

This is an interesting bike:

https://us.yt-industries.com/detail/.../sCategory/511

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Fleas View Post
    Partially on-topic:
    Many frames are, in fact, designed for strength based on average human sizes and weights. A small frame with shorter tubes will often have thinner walls because the heaviest rider of that size is usually no more than 120#. As the frames get larger, tubes get longer, and thicker walls are needed to maintain rigidity. Not all companies do all that math, but the big ones def. have the resources.
    This is the dumbest thing I have read all week.

El Gorrrriiii
    Jan 2012
    This is all really useful information, thank you guys !