Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Rethinking my current ride....bike curious

6K views 46 replies 21 participants last post by  Mark in Baltimore 
#1 · (Edited)
Currently I have a 2011 Trek Fuel EX8. I got a good deal on it last year as a left over so I went for it. So far I went tubeless, changed tires, pedals (of course), and bike computer. So I am not into it too deep. Lately I have been thinking of a 29er. Most everyone here rides one and I just got a chance to take a short ride on a Specialized Stumpy FSR comp 29er (mouth full). It felt really good over roots and rocks almost cheating. It did feel slower around corners. In the bikes defense I just threw a leg over it, dont know the tires well and its a 29er not a 26er. So I have been doing some bike searching. I have been stalking the Trek stache 8, Cannondale F29-2, and the Stump jumper FSR comp 29er. It is kind of a wide spread for bikes. I mostly was looking at a HT but after talking to the cannondale/specialized dealer he said from his experience If you like a FS stay with a FS. So thats why the stump jumper is on my list. My concern with the stumpy is it may be more bike than needed in middle ga.Most everyone here rides a hard tail but like I said every bike I owned since 1997 has been a FS. I also want to keep an open mind on the HT thing. I want to keep the weight down also. Currently my bike is around 27-28lbs. I have not weighted it since the pedels, tires, and tubeless. I am not a weight weenie but want something as light or lighter. I called a few dealers and one of the dealers has a 2013 stumpy for $2600 and they take trades. I found a Stache 8 (not in my size) to at least see in person. The guy there told me a couple employees already bought the frame/fork option.....that says something if they jumped on the bike so quickly. The local Cannondale shop has the oh so sweet looking F29-2 in my size. I really liked how nimble the F29 felt in the parking lot (for what it is worth) and love the lefty and how light the bike feels. The shop claims about 23lbs on their scale. Most all the bikes need some sort of upgrade for my taste. I can appreciate the simplicity of the HT also. I ride rooted trails and sometimes get to smooth trails. There are no real long down hills or anything too technical.There are some rooty steep climbs. I enjoy flowing single track varying terrain. No drops more than 2-3 ft.

Cdale - Needs tires, not sure about the BB30 mated to the M525 crank needing an adaptor. Seems to be really fast bike .Love the lefty. Seems really light. Is it tought enough bike? Looks great in person.

Stache 8- Best equiped for my taste. Does the G2 geo handle well on the trail compared to the F29 (no one has one to demo)? Tires seem fine. Love the green parts. Still have not seen it in person. It has a ruggedness that appeals.

Specialized - Is it too much bike for around here? Felt tall/big compared to the F29 and even my EX8. Its a FS like I alway have had. Not a fan of SRAM shifters and Elixer 5 brakes. The bike almost seems to be an All mountain bike. Felt really solid. Would I be sacrificing climbing to go down hill? Should I own another FS bike?

See less See more
#2 ·
There's some wisdom in that statement about sticking with a FS bike if that's what you're used to.

I own the Stumpy so I can only speak to that...the sram shifting has been perfect. The avid brakes have all the power, modulation, (and noise) you'd expect. The propedal platform on the shock will keep the bike climbing the way you want it. I found the stock wheels to be a weak point and needed to have the front re-laced about 4 months in.It sounds like you might want the tires swapped out at the point of sale for a set of captains.( I actually went to bigger tires from the beginning). Bone stock with the cheap plastic pedals my bike was 27lb even ( '12 fsr 29 comp size L).

#12 ·
I just weighed my Fuel EX8 with a bathroom scale. I get about 29.4lbs. Seems kind of high. I stood on the scale weighted myself the with the bike in my hands then subtracted the weight. Probably not real accurate. Maybe I will weight it against the Stumpy on the same scale when I go to do some looking. I think I got about 27.5 lbs area when I bought the bike. Since then I run kenda slant 6 2.1 tires, candy pedals, tubeless, bottle cage, and computer.

#3 ·
The new stumpy suspension (fox) has changed. They now have the CTD system. I currently have pro pedal on my fuel so I know what that is about. As far as the SRAM shifters...its not that it misses shifts its mostly just the fingers used to make the shifts. My shimano uses thumb and pointer while the SRAM only uses thumb if my memory serves me right. The Elixer (2013) on the stumpy had better modulation than my 2011 Elixers 5's do. My elixer's and the ones that were on the stumpy I rode did not make any noise. Mine did for the first 75 or so miles. Sounds like the Stumpy is about the same weight as my Fuel. I would want a less aggressive tire than whats on the stumpy. I think ther 2013 stumpy has a revised rear hub and Roval wheels. Not sure what the 2012 stumpy had for wheels.

#4 ·
As Mojo said, there's no substitute for FS, but you might be surprised how fun the right HT could be ;) I rode FS only until I got my Paradox in summer 2010 and boy was it an awakening for me, both in fun factor and in how much differently you need to ride a HT compared to an FS, but again, boy the fun. My advice is find something with the "newer" geometry like the Paradox, Nimble, Yelli, Honzo and try to get a test ride on one. If you like it see how much tyre clearance it has (know the Paradox had a redesign to increase clearance for true 2.4") and throw the biggest, highest volume tyre back there and go have fun.

I'll admit I'm on an FS again, but def overkill for most of our trails I get to ride regularly (fantastic for the really rough, steep, rooty ones, but not best to ride those solo and can't get others to come play on them with me), but I recently built back up the Paradox and it was a definite difference to the Prime in super tight climbs where bar width is more than tree width sometimes and def felt more playful with the shorter rear and about 5lb weight difference.

#6 ·
As far as rims go I should not have issues there. I weigh about 165 with gear and am about 5'9". So with that said I dont destroy many parts. I did look up the wheels on the 2012 vs 2013 stumpy and It looks like they are the same. And the 2013 gets a different shock from the 2012 that some did not like.

When I look at the stumpy it just looks heavy. It looks like it is just over 30lbs from pics.

#7 ·
I had a similar experience as you when I lived in Chicago a couple years ago. I came from a background of lightweight full suspension bikes but I wanted to take advantage of the benefits of a 29er. My local trails seemed to be clogged with 29ers so I thought there must be something about them that I was missing out on, so I sold my lightweight FS bike and started to shop for it's replacement. After a lot of consideration I ended up with a Gary Fisher hardtail and I upgraded almost everything with all my favorite components. I chose a hardtail because if I bought the full suspension bike I wanted I would have been at the top of my budget so I thought if I got a hard tail I would be able to upgrade to anything I wanted and still have some change to get a different frame if it didn't work out. The Gary Fisher ended up being a great parking lot bike but I couldn't enjoy it after several actual trail rides so I sold the frame and bought a totally different hard tail. A cro-moly one from Rocky Mountain. I still have this bike bc I fell in love with it, completely! I now believe that it was one of my best purchases.

After I moved to Arizona last year, where there are actual mountains and thus justifying a FS bike, I saved up for a another bike and got a bike that is in a similar category as the Stumpy you're looking at. I love it but I still ride the hard tail. My FS 29er is easier to ride over the rough stuff but my HT is more fun in some situations.

My point is if you find an amazing hard tail you may never get rid of it, and bc of where you live you may not need a FS bike. If, down the road, your pimped out HT seems to overwhelmed at times then start shopping for a FS bike. I've owned and liked several FS bikes but I've only had a couple HT bikes and I still have two of them bc I fell in love. Plus, you can get a pretty rad HT for the scratch you're wanting to spend!

#8 ·
I'd suggest a demo on your trails to help with the necessary HT info. But from what everyone else is riding in your area it seems worth serious consideration.
A Scott Scale 930 in medium or 2012 Expert could work. 23.5lbs. The Expert has the dual air Reba which is no longer available.
920 has XT/SLX including SLX brakes. 23.35lbs.

#9 ·
You mentioned that some of the 29ers you rode felt sluggish. I demoed 6 this fall and felt that on many of them too until I rode a Niner RIP9, which was fast and flickable - I bought it. It's not as light as the others you are looking at, but is rock solid in the rear on the climbs and active in the FS on the downhills. My large frame with 140mm Talas, XT drivetrain, dropper post, pedals, Ergons, and Stans Flow EX weighs in at 31.5 lbs, but rides much lighter.

#11 ·
One of the snappier 29ers was the Cannondale F29-2. Seems race oriented though. Not sure if race oriented is a good thing or bad thing for me. One thing about the Stache and Stumpy is the front and rear through axels I could tell it felt stiffer than my standard stuff on my fuel. It was very point and shoot. Sometimes it really feels like I cant "get going" on the fuel. Maybe its because I am chasing a 29er HT on the flats.

#15 ·
I buy new because I can and also for the warranty. I have broken a frame before and needed the warranty. At the price point I am looking at I am not willing to buy before I try.

As far as the bikes I am concidering only one that is on a local sales floor. The rest are about 70-80 miles away. And even one of those is not in my size. My local shops mostly carry 29er ht and most of those is $1500 or less. I plan on sticking with manufactures that are at somewhat at a LBS for future service or other things that may arise.

#18 · (Edited)
Consider this when considering my input: I tend to favor hard tails for my main trail bike. Though, I've owned a lot of bikes since 1998. My stable has always included a hard tail and a full suspension bike.

I can talk with a fair amount of knowledge about the EX, Stache and the Rumblefish as well.

The EX is one fun bike. Last month I got to ride the 2013 EX, Remedy and Stache 8 back to back to back. I also owned and rode a 2012 Rumblefish last season and a 2011 X-Caliber the year before that. I got to demo a 2012 Stumpy this summer.

I can't talk about the Cdale. So, not including the C-Dale, none of the bikes on your list will be as playful as the EX. Nimble is another way to describe what I mean when I say playful. No 29er that I've ever ridden is as playful and fun. The Stache comes the closest. Just like the shop guys you heard about, I got to test ride the Stache 8 at the Trek dealer event in August, and I ordered the frame and fork combo the next day and listed my Rumblefish for sale. The only change the Stache needs to be a truly great do-everything trail bike is a dropper post.

Remember, I do tend to prefer hard tails for my main trail bike, but I've ridden a lot of different FS bikes. The Stache is a completely capable bike. I got on it and felt completely confident to do anything I did on my Rumblefish. Last month when I rode it along with the EX and Remedy I hit every technical line on the Stache with the same confidence as I had on the FS bikes. Along with this capability, you get the efficiency of a hard tail and that's why I like it for my main trail bike.

I switch back and fourth between hard tails and full suspension bikes often and can adjust quickly. But for anyone whose been riding strictly one style for some time, I suggest giving yourself at least a month of frequent riding on the new style before forming an opinion about liking that style or not. If I spend an entire season on one style, I always feel a little out of sorts when I switch for at least a ride. Hardtails and FS bikes require tweaks to your technique specific to that style. Hard tails require you to be more aware of whats going on with the back wheel. Keep that in mind if you go that route.

Having ridden a lot of bikes, I am very excited about getting more time on my Stache. Even though I tend to move a lot of bikes through my stable I usually have a favorite that I keep for several years. The Stache is going to be with me for some time.

Here's my early review of the Stache if you are interested: http://forums.mtbr.com/29er-bikes/review-trek-stache-8ish-820910.html

Hope all this helps you make a decision.

FWIW, The 2013 Slash is on my wish list for next year. While the Stache is a great do everything bike, I still prefer 26" wheel FS bikes for their fun factor. This is in addition to the Stache of course ;)

#26 ·
Consider this when considering my input: I tend to favor hard tails for my main trail bike. Though, I've owned a lot of bikes since 1998. My stable has always included a hard tail and a full suspension bike.

I can talk with a fair amount of knowledge about the EX, Stache and the Rumblefish as well.

The EX is one fun bike. Last month I got to ride the 2013 EX, Remedy and Stache 8 back to back to back. I also owned and rode a 2012 Rumblefish last season and a 2011 X-Caliber the year before that. I got to demo a 2012 Stumpy this summer.

I can't talk about the Cdale. So, not including the C-Dale, none of the bikes on your list will be as playful as the EX. Nimble is another way to describe what I mean when I say playful. Nothing I've no 29er that I've ever ridden is as playful and fun. The Stache comes the closest. Just like the shop guys you heard about, I got to test ride the Stache 8 at the Trek dealer event in August, and I ordered the frame and fork combo the next day and listed my Rumblefish for sale. The only change the Stache needs to be a truly great do-everything trail bike is a dropper post.

Remember, I do tend to prefer hard tails for my main trail bike, but I've ridden a lot of different FS bikes. The Stache is a completely capable bike. I got on it and felt completely confident to do anything I did on my Rumblefish. Last month when I rode it along with the EX and Remedy I hit every technical line on the Stache with the same confidence as I had on the FS bikes. Along with this capability, you get the efficiency of a hard tail and that's why I like it for my main trail bike.

I switch back and fourth between hard tails and full suspension bikes often and can adjust quickly. But for anyone whose been riding strictly one style for some time, I suggest giving yourself at least a month of frequent riding on the new style before forming an opinion about liking that style or not. If I spend an entire season on one style, I always feel a little out of sorts when I switch for at least a ride. Hardtails and FS bikes require tweaks to your technique specific to that style. Hard tails require you to be more aware of whats going on with the back wheel. Keep that in mind if you go that route.

Having ridden a lot of bikes, I am very excited about getting more time on my Stache. Even though I tend to move a lot of bikes through my stable I usually have a favorite that I keep for several years. The Stache is going to be with me for some time.

Here's my early review of the Stache if you are interested: http://forums.mtbr.com/29er-bikes/review-trek-stache-8ish-820910.html

Hope all this helps you make a decision.

FWIW, The 2013 Slash is on my wish list for next year. While the Stache is a great do everything bike, I still prefer 26" wheel FS bikes for their fun factor. This is in addition to the Stache of course ;)
How did the stache climb? Did it seem to carry speed on the straights well? Can you really tell the stiffness with the front and rear through axles?

#22 ·
Currently I have a 2011 Trek Fuel EX8. I got a good deal on it last year as a left over so I went for it. So far I went tubeless, changed tires, pedals (of course), and bike computer. So I am not into it too deep. Lately I have been thinking of a 29er. Most everyone here rides one and I just got a chance to take a short ride on a Specialized Stumpy FSR comp 29er (mouth full). It felt really good over roots and rocks almost cheating. It did feel slower around corners. In the bikes defense I just threw a leg over it, dont know the tires well and its a 29er not a 26er. So I have been doing some bike searching. I have been stalking the Trek stache 8, Cannondale F29-2, and the Stump jumper FSR comp 29er. It is kind of a wide spread for bikes. I mostly was looking at a HT but after talking to the cannondale/specialized dealer he said from his experience If you like a FS stay with a FS. So thats why the stump jumper is on my list. My concern with the stumpy is it may be more bike than needed in middle ga.Most everyone here rides a hard tail but like I said every bike I owned since 1997 has been a FS. I also want to keep an open mind on the HT thing. I want to keep the weight down also. Currently my bike is around 27-28lbs. I have not weighted it since the pedels, tires, and tubeless. I am not a weight weenie but want something as light or lighter. I called a few dealers and one of the dealers has a 2013 stumpy for $2600 and they take trades. I found a Stache 8 (not in my size) to at least see in person. The guy there told me a couple employees already bought the frame/fork option.....that says something if they jumped on the bike so quickly. The local Cannondale shop has the oh so sweet looking F29-2 in my size. I really liked how nimble the F29 felt in the parking lot (for what it is worth) and love the lefty and how light the bike feels. The shop claims about 23lbs on their scale. Most all the bikes need some sort of upgrade for my taste. I can appreciate the simplicity of the HT also. I ride rooted trails and sometimes get to smooth trails. There are no real long down hills or anything too technical.There are some rooty steep climbs. I enjoy flowing single track varying terrain. No drops more than 2-3 ft.

Cdale - Needs tires, not sure about the BB30 mated to the M525 crank needing an adaptor. Seems to be really fast bike .Love the lefty. Seems really light. Is it tought enough bike? Looks great in person.

Stache 8- Best equiped for my taste. Does the G2 geo handle well on the trail compared to the F29 (no one has one to demo)? Tires seem fine. Love the green parts. Still have not seen it in person. It has a ruggedness that appeals.

Specialized - Is it too much bike for around here? Felt tall/big compared to the F29 and even my EX8. Its a FS like I alway have had. Not a fan of SRAM shifters and Elixer 5 brakes. The bike almost seems to be an All mountain bike. Felt really solid. Would I be sacrificing climbing to go down hill? Should I own another FS bike?
Stygz1, I'm from Georgia as well. I have a Cannondale 29 and been riding the typical trails around here. Hardtail 29 will do for most of the trails (Even Conyers and Chicopee). If you're gonna be riding up in Dahlonega, Tennessee/Georgia area, FS will be a better bet.

#27 ·
I have not ridden much in the ATL area. Mostly just daucet. Most of my local trails are smooth but the one closest to me is very rooty! It gives my EX8 a work out! How is conyers? Rocky, rooty, or hilly? I am planning on going there for the bike convention in late Feb. They have demo bikes there. I missed a chance to go to Harbins this last week. What you said above and what the bike of choice around here is what has me thinking. What cannondale do you have?

#28 ·
As far as stiffness goes, the front end is a resounding yes to your question. I've ridden through axle forks since 2002 until I rode a 29er Reba in 2011. You don't notice the difference as much when you go from standard to through axle. But when you go back you notice it. The Reba felt like a wet noodle compared to all the through axle forks before, and after. After my relapse on a standard axle, I can say without a doubt that I won't go back to any suspension fork that does not have a through axle.

On a full suspension bike, I believe a rear through axle offers an advantage in stiffness. I'm not as sure it's noticeable on a hard tail. It has to be stiffer by virtue of it's design but that doesn't mean you can notice it. But, you will never get wheel slip. I know it's not a common issue, but I seam to suffer it more then most people even on hard tails. I don't find it any harder or easier to get the wheel out with the through axle.

It carries speed as well as any other 29er I've ridden, which is to say, certainly better than the EX.

It has plenty of traction in the rear when climbing. Because of the slightly taller fork, the front end wanders slightly more than my X-Caliber, but the X-Caliber was the most capable climber I've owned (doesn't make it the best climber, just the best I've owned). I run the stem flipped over and have 1cm of spacer above the stem and this helps with the climbing. The EX will wander more than the Stache.

#30 ·
29er wheels inherently handle roots better than 26 inch wheels. FS bikes can get bogged down in roots. Hardtails can get hung up. It's hard to say which one will handle roots better. My feeling is that the Stache would be better, but it takes a different technique to get through roots on a hard tail. It's all about momentum.

Both Stache models have tapered steerer tubes.

#31 ·
Test rode the Stache 8 yesterday. Wrong size but I took what I could get. The bike is backordered until late Feb. This was a very solid feeling bike...even more than the stumpy I rode. Not sure if it is a replacement to my EX8 as of yet but it has potential. Planning to get some actual trail time at the Atlanta bike expo in late Feb and guide my decision. I read somewhere that it can take a few bikes to find one you really like. The fuel is my first bike since getting back into biking. It does most things well, I just want more speed/momentum for the flats and roots hence the 29er. The size 21" weighted 27 lbs on the scale with plasic pedals and a mustache while my EX8 came in at 29lbs with pedals, computer, water bottle cage, tubeless, kenda slant 6 tires (not sure if they are lighter or heavier than the XR-3). So not bad for weight...2 lbs less and its a 29er with beefy 2.3" tires.

I wonder if trek will offer a carbon version for the 2014 model year?

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.