Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by dwnhlldav View Post
    Consider this when considering my input: I tend to favor hard tails for my main trail bike. Though, I've owned a lot of bikes since 1998. My stable has always included a hard tail and a full suspension bike.

I can talk with a fair amount of knowledge about the EX, Stache and the Rumblefish as well.

The EX is one fun bike. Last month I got to ride the 2013 EX, Remedy and Stache 8 back to back to back. I also owned and rode a 2012 Rumblefish last season and a 2011 X-Caliber the year before that. I got to demo a 2012 Stumpy this summer.

I can't talk about the Cdale. So, not including the C-Dale, none of the bikes on your list will be as playful as the EX. Nimble is another way to describe what I mean when I say playful. Nothing I've no 29er that I've ever ridden is as playful and fun. The Stache comes the closest. Just like the shop guys you heard about, I got to test ride the Stache 8 at the Trek dealer event in August, and I ordered the frame and fork combo the next day and listed my Rumblefish for sale. The only change the Stache needs to be a truly great do-everything trail bike is a dropper post.

Remember, I do tend to prefer hard tails for my main trail bike, but I've ridden a lot of different FS bikes. The Stache is a completely capable bike. I got on it and felt completely confident to do anything I did on my Rumblefish. Last month when I rode it along with the EX and Remedy I hit every technical line on the Stache with the same confidence as I had on the FS bikes. Along with this capability, you get the efficiency of a hard tail and that's why I like it for my main trail bike.

I switch back and fourth between hard tails and full suspension bikes often and can adjust quickly. But for anyone whose been riding strictly one style for some time, I suggest giving yourself at least a month of frequent riding on the new style before forming an opinion about liking that style or not. If I spend an entire season on one style, I always feel a little out of sorts when I switch for at least a ride. Hardtails and FS bikes require tweaks to your technique specific to that style. Hard tails require you to be more aware of whats going on with the back wheel. Keep that in mind if you go that route.

Having ridden a lot of bikes, I am very excited about getting more time on my Stache. Even though I tend to move a lot of bikes through my stable I usually have a favorite that I keep for several years. The Stache is going to be with me for some time.

Here's my early review of the Stache if you are interested: Review: Trek Stache 8ish.

Hope all this helps you make a decision.

FWIW, The 2013 Slash is on my wish list for next year. While the Stache is a great do everything bike, I still prefer 26" wheel FS bikes for their fun factor. This is in addition to the Stache of course
    How did the stache climb? Did it seem to carry speed on the straights well? Can you really tell the stiffness with the front and rear through axles?
    2014 Niner RIP 9
    Full XT
    Rock Shox Pike 140
    Roval Control Carbon

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Turtle Torque View Post
    Stygz1, I'm from Georgia as well. I have a Cannondale 29 and been riding the typical trails around here. Hardtail 29 will do for most of the trails (Even Conyers and Chicopee). If you're gonna be riding up in Dahlonega, Tennessee/Georgia area, FS will be a better bet.
    I have not ridden much in the ATL area. Mostly just daucet. Most of my local trails are smooth but the one closest to me is very rooty! It gives my EX8 a work out! How is conyers? Rocky, rooty, or hilly? I am planning on going there for the bike convention in late Feb. They have demo bikes there. I missed a chance to go to Harbins this last week. What you said above and what the bike of choice around here is what has me thinking. What cannondale do you have?
    2014 Niner RIP 9
    Full XT
    Rock Shox Pike 140
    Roval Control Carbon

mtbr member
    As far as stiffness goes, the front end is a resounding yes to your question. I've ridden through axle forks since 2002 until I rode a 29er Reba in 2011. You don't notice the difference as much when you go from standard to through axle. But when you go back you notice it. The Reba felt like a wet noodle compared to all the through axle forks before, and after. After my relapse on a standard axle, I can say without a doubt that I won't go back to any suspension fork that does not have a through axle.

On a full suspension bike, I believe a rear through axle offers an advantage in stiffness. I'm not as sure it's noticeable on a hard tail. It has to be stiffer by virtue of it's design but that doesn't mean you can notice it. But, you will never get wheel slip. I know it's not a common issue, but I seam to suffer it more then most people even on hard tails. I don't find it any harder or easier to get the wheel out with the through axle.

It carries speed as well as any other 29er I've ridden, which is to say, certainly better than the EX.

It has plenty of traction in the rear when climbing. Because of the slightly taller fork, the front end wanders slightly more than my X-Caliber, but the X-Caliber was the most capable climber I've owned (doesn't make it the best climber, just the best I've owned). I run the stem flipped over and have 1cm of spacer above the stem and this helps with the climbing. The EX will wander more than the Stache.
    Disclaimer: I no longer fix bikes for a living.
    National Ski Patroller to feed my winter habit.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    The stache handle roots better than the fuel? On my most local trail I get caught up almost stopped in some rooty sections. Is the steerer tube tapered on the stache? I know the heat tube is.
    2014 Niner RIP 9
    Full XT
    Rock Shox Pike 140
    Roval Control Carbon

mtbr member
    29er wheels inherently handle roots better than 26 inch wheels. FS bikes can get bogged down in roots. Hardtails can get hung up. It's hard to say which one will handle roots better. My feeling is that the Stache would be better, but it takes a different technique to get through roots on a hard tail. It's all about momentum.

Both Stache models have tapered steerer tubes.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Test rode the Stache 8 yesterday. Wrong size but I took what I could get. The bike is backordered until late Feb. This was a very solid feeling bike...even more than the stumpy I rode. Not sure if it is a replacement to my EX8 as of yet but it has potential. Planning to get some actual trail time at the Atlanta bike expo in late Feb and guide my decision. I read somewhere that it can take a few bikes to find one you really like. The fuel is my first bike since getting back into biking. It does most things well, I just want more speed/momentum for the flats and roots hence the 29er. The size 21" weighted 27 lbs on the scale with plasic pedals and a mustache while my EX8 came in at 29lbs with pedals, computer, water bottle cage, tubeless, kenda slant 6 tires (not sure if they are lighter or heavier than the XR-3). So not bad for weight...2 lbs less and its a 29er with beefy 2.3" tires.

I wonder if trek will offer a carbon version for the 2014 model year?
    2014 Niner RIP 9
    Full XT
    Rock Shox Pike 140
    Roval Control Carbon

mtbr member
    What size do you need? We ordered a 17.5" Stache 8 for a customer several weeks ago. They said it was back ordered till February but one showed up with our shipment this past week.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by MOJO K View Post
    Bone stock with the cheap plastic pedals my bike was 27lb even ( '12 fsr 29 comp size L).
    Not a chance in hell you're anywhere close to that. You need to fix your scale. The large comp comes in just under 30 lbs.

To the OP I came from a HT to a FS recently and I could never imagine going back. On that note the Stumpy FSR sounds like far too much for what you ride. Have you thought about taking a look at the Camber, or the more racey Epic? I think the Camber may be a perfect medium for you.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    17.5" is what I need. My LBS said they would put one on B.O. and it could show up earlier. I need to get past the holidays before I commit to a new or second bike. At this point I am ok with holding until the demo in atlanta in Feb.
    2014 Niner RIP 9
    Full XT
    Rock Shox Pike 140
    Roval Control Carbon

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Who is producing the new bontrager hubs? they seem to be strong and durable. When they are freewheeling they are much louder sounding than my shimano 525's.
    2014 Niner RIP 9
    Full XT
    Rock Shox Pike 140
    Roval Control Carbon

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech420 View Post
    Not a chance in hell you're anywhere close to that. You need to fix your scale. The large comp comes in just under 30 lbs.

To the OP I came from a HT to a FS recently and I could never imagine going back. On that note the Stumpy FSR sounds like far too much for what you ride. Have you thought about taking a look at the Camber, or the more racey Epic? I think the Camber may be a perfect medium for you.
    Yea I think the stumpy is more than I need for my terrain. As far as the Camber I looked them over but they dont seem to have an aluminum framed camber speced at a price I am willing to pay. I dont think I want to step down to a rock shox reba / rock shox rear shock. But would give the rock shox combo a try. The brakes are deffinantly a deal breaker for me. This is refering to the 2013 camber comp 29. But I may still give it a test ride at the Atlanta bike expo to keep an open mind. I know the brakes can be swapped out. I suspect talking with the local shop that they are not real inclined to upgrade parts upon sale of a bike.

27lbs seems low for a stumpy....my EX8 came in at 29lbs with accesorries / upgrades listed in above post. This is according to the bike shop scale.
    2014 Niner RIP 9
    Full XT
    Rock Shox Pike 140
    Roval Control Carbon

Cow Clicker
    A buddy of mine who lives in ATL and rides those trails just bought a Hardtail Niner and really likes it. If you're sticking with rides under 3 hours, I'd consider a poor man's version: Sette Razzo SC X9 10 Speed 29er Carbon Bike - Gloss Black with Crimson Red at Price Point

<25 lbs.
    No, YOU don't understand. You're making an ass of yourself for all of eternity.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I think I am looking for something more "trail". But that is alot of bike for $2k.
    2014 Niner RIP 9
    Full XT
    Rock Shox Pike 140
    Roval Control Carbon

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Also a planned trip to coldwater in alabama may play a roll in the bike decision.
    2014 Niner RIP 9
    Full XT
    Rock Shox Pike 140
    Roval Control Carbon

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    3 months ago I bought the 2013 Stumpjumper Carbon Comp FSR 29. I made a deal with the LBS and upgraded the cassette and cranks to Sram XO. The bike is a size XL and it weighs 12.715kg without pedals. I love this bike, it handles really well and it is fast, I find myself setting up for turns much earlier than I used to and looking down the trail further than I used to.

I think the Avid 5's are ok, plenty of power and good feel. I hate the SLX shifters, they are too fat in the body and I can't get them into a good position on the handlebars. The X7 front derailleur will only shift up in the higher gears. Those two bits will be swapped out for XT's in the near future.

Excellent bike, it will do anything and go anywhere. If I had unlimited finance I would have bought the S-Works version.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I still like the stumpy. I have had good luck with my SLX shifters but I dislike the sram X7 shifters. My fuel is mostly SLX. The elixer 5's I have stop but have little feel/modulation. I will probably still try to ride the stumpy also at the ATL expo. The stumpy seems to have a more appealing package than the camber does for my taste.
    2014 Niner RIP 9
    Full XT
    Rock Shox Pike 140
    Roval Control Carbon

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I sold my 2011 Trek Fuel EX 9 and bought a Yelli Screamy frame and buit it up. It's so much faster then my Trek was. No regrets
    2014 Santa Cruz Tallboy LTc
    iDream Images

official eMpTyBRain
    ^ spam reported
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

mtbr member
    ^ Seems legit

mtbr member
    You didn't mention budget... Try the Santa Cruz Tallboy or for a more versatile option the Tallboy LTc. Best bike I have ever ridden.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by stygz1 View Post
    I have not ridden much in the ATL area. Mostly just daucet. Most of my local trails are smooth but the one closest to me is very rooty! It gives my EX8 a work out! How is conyers? Rocky, rooty, or hilly? I am planning on going there for the bike convention in late Feb. They have demo bikes there. I missed a chance to go to Harbins this last week. What you said above and what the bike of choice around here is what has me thinking. What cannondale do you have?
    Hey Stygz. Done Daucet couple times. Pretty fun trail. Conyers has two parts. 2nd part is mostly on granite with roots and lot of climbing. It's pretty tough trail. Honestly one of my least favorite trails. It's a rough section because it's mostly granite. 1st part is typical trails. I ride Harbins all the time since I live literally 5min from there. total trail is 18miles if you do everything. Harbins is perfect for HT.

I have 2012 cannondale flash 2 alloy. I'm slowly upgrading parts on it. I love the flash 29. Definately handles just about anything around North Georgia area.

mtbr member
    Mods, please help here! Thanks!
    '12 S-Works Stumpjumper carbon HT
    '13 Specialized Carve Comp
    '94 S-Works M2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2