mnt bike laws of physics

Regular Lefty on a Trigger 29er???

I know this seems like a silly question, but I am curious if I would be able to install a regular Lefty on a Trigger 29er frame.

I am told that it will not accept an SI stem/steerer so does it take a larger diameter steerer tube?

Dickhouse
    Dec 2010
    Not sure why it wouldn't accept an SI stem/steerer, as it has a 1.5" headtube. Should work fine with a Lefty unless there's something I'm missing.

mnt bike laws of physics
    A Cannondale tech told me it would not accept the SI stem/steerer, but I didn't think to ask about the Lefty.
    Doesn't the Trigger's Supermax take a 1.5 stem while the regular lefty takes a Headshok stem?

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I have a Trigger 29er 1 with a Lefty SuperMax. When I removed the fork to make some changes to cable routing, I did note that the steerer installed and uninstalled very differently to my previous lefties. There was no threaded piece to pre-tension the headset... if that makes sense. If you go to the Cannondale website you can download the pdf manual/technical notes for both the Trigger 29er and the Lefty SuperMax... contain pretty detailed diagrams and information.

On a side note... What an awesome bike. hands down the best fun bike I've ridden.

Cheers
    FatMuz

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Just remembered too...

Keep in mind too, that the fork clamps on the Lefty Supermax are angled very differently to the standard Lefty clamps to enable the use of a much shorter stem. The Supermax uses a much greater amount of 'trail' to compensate for this. I also recall reading somewhere that the Supermax comes in a variety of sizes (distance between clamps) according to the bike size.

So even if you could physically fit a standard lefty fork, it will have very different geometry and therefore very different handling characteristics to that of the new Lefty SuperMax on the Trigger 29er 1.