Thread: Red Metal 29 SL

mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Red Metal 29 SL

What do you all think of the Red Metal 29 SL wheels from fulcrum? I'm looking to upgrade the ones I have on my monocog. I ride alot of rooty and muddy conditions up here in Maine

mtbr member
    May 2007

nice but thin wheelset.

I had a set of these and they are beautiful and strong. Not the lightest but light enough for most. They have a really nice rear hub clicking noise like the crank brothers cobalt wheelset. Only downfall is the rim width is only 19mm!! Kinda thin if you wanna run wide tires. If you plan on using 2.1 or less then these are super awesome. Only bad thing about em. They are a really good deal at alfred e bike . com but be aware of the thin width. I ran a 2.3 wtb exiwolf on em and when I put a lot of pressure on them coming down from a drop they would fold out from under the rim at low pressures of course.
    Photobucket
    Photobucket
    Photobucket
    Photobucket

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Bradyab
    I had a set of these and they are beautiful and strong. Not the lightest but light enough for most. They have a really nice rear hub clicking noise like the crank brothers cobalt wheelset. Only downfall is the rim width is only 19mm!! Kinda thin if you wanna run wide tires. If you plan on using 2.1 or less then these are super awesome. Only bad thing about em. They are a really good deal at alfred e bike . com but be aware of the thin width. I ran a 2.3 wtb exiwolf on em and when I put a lot of pressure on them coming down from a drop they would fold out from under the rim at low pressures of course.
    Photobucket
    Photobucket
    Photobucket
    Photobucket
    I got a kenda nevegals I was going to be running on them. There 2.20 width. Doyou think these would work with them? Also reading the online site couldn't quite make out if you could run them tubeless. Are the capable of this?

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I can't comment on the wheelset, but in my experience the Neve is far better tire on a wide rim. I'm sure it would work, but given the number of wider rims popping up I think you'd get more out of those tires on something wider. I initially had mine on a narrow Alex and it was all right: gripped pretty well in corners, but definitely had a rounded profile. It seemed better on a Rhyno. When I switched to a Kris Holm up front, the Neve just looked right. The profile was more square and the tire felt a lot more solid in turns.

Again, not saying the combo wouldn't work for you, just that my experience would have me leaning toward something at least a few mm wider.

mtbr member

I have some Red Metal

I have the XLR and I am pretty certain they share the same rim specs with the exception of the XLR being tubeless ready. The rims are not 19mm wide.....they are 19mm high, but not 19mm wide . Read it on this link. the second paragraph.. http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?ModelID=33277

Without measuring, I am pretty confident they are as wide as my Bontrager Mustang rims...those go for 23mm width??

The rear hub has 36 poe which I have found to be very suitable for the S. Eastern riding I do.... Many roots, palmetto trees, and some rocks.

The only issue I have had is the locknut on the rear hub coming unscrewed, otherwise they have been perfect after pounding them for 3 months.

The AE price seems attractive.
    You cannot go against nature, because when you do, its part of nature too.

COMBO - President
    Heavy wheels, IMO, Stans Arch or Flows would be better and much wider for better tubeless setup. About the same money too. Pick your favorite hub too for a nice custom build.

There's always next year.

I have them as well...

And quite frankly, they're a darn good wheelset for the money. I got them when I ordered a Pivot 429 from Speedgoat, and was skeptical at first about them. I ran them pretty hard from Feb to May here in Washington, and they handled rain, mud and bad conditions excellently. They don't have the widest rims out there, but I ran Stouts, and a Mountain King 2.4 on my set just fine (I just went out and checked mine, the rim tape says they're 20mm wide). The wheelset was very stiff-- kept me going where I wanted to go. The Fulcrums aren't the lightest wheels out there, but they sure won't be the reason you're in last place, either-- my set is lighter then a Hope2/DT 7.1 combo on my Niner. And while they do hold the wheels every well, the skewers will not convince anybody that they're light.
    I have not run mine tubeless yet, but I don't see any reason why you couldn't, either.

The only drawback could be running them on a Monocog--you'll lose the ability to have a bolt on hub, but I did run a quick release hub (an XT) on my Monocog for a few weeks for kicks-- I just had to make sure the both chain tugs were on, otherwise the wheel would slide all over the place. But they would be a huge upgrade over the stock wheelset on the MC, in my opinion.

There are some good deals on this wheelset out there to be found on the internets-- more then one store had them going for sub $290. It will be hard to build up a better custom set for that price.

Happy Hunting!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by padrefan1982
    And quite frankly, they're a darn good wheelset for the money. I got them when I ordered a Pivot 429 from Speedgoat, and was skeptical at first about them. I ran them pretty hard from Feb to May here in Washington, and they handled rain, mud and bad conditions excellently. They don't have the widest rims out there, but I ran Stouts, and a Mountain King 2.4 on my set just fine (I just went out and checked mine, the rim tape says they're 20mm wide). The wheelset was very stiff-- kept me going where I wanted to go. The Fulcrums aren't the lightest wheels out there, but they sure won't be the reason you're in last place, either-- my set is lighter then a Hope2/DT 7.1 combo on my Niner. And while they do hold the wheels every well, the skewers will not convince anybody that they're light.
    I have not run mine tubeless yet, but I don't see any reason why you couldn't, either.

The only drawback could be running them on a Monocog--you'll lose the ability to have a bolt on hub, but I did run a quick release hub (an XT) on my Monocog for a few weeks for kicks-- I just had to make sure the both chain tugs were on, otherwise the wheel would slide all over the place. But they would be a huge upgrade over the stock wheelset on the MC, in my opinion.

There are some good deals on this wheelset out there to be found on the internets-- more then one store had them going for sub $290. It will be hard to build up a better custom set for that price.

Happy Hunting!
    20mm is likely the inner rim width. 20mm inner width would equate to somewhere around a 24mm outer width (give-or-take and depending on the manufacturer)