Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Real Men ride rigid SS...

9K views 61 replies 49 participants last post by  CuzinMike 
#1 ·
I am looking for some fellow rigid SS riders, people tell me I'm crazy, do you get the same crap?

#5 ·
i just put a suspension fork on recently. after handing in my man card and crying myself to sleep for a few weeks i am recovering.

dunno if your new to this; but i have discovered over the years all bicycles are fun. once you stop worrying about everyone else you can concentrate on what makes riding a bike the most fun for you. don't worry; your allowed to change your opinion frequently (or as often as your bank account can support it).

i rode rigid for years and thought it was the sh!t... currently, a month or two in, i love my reba. apples, oranges, pineapples??? mmm pineapples....

#18 ·
I have a hardtail with gears and a rigid ss... I will admit that after riding a loop on the rigid SS that I normally ride on the geared suspension bike, there is a slight increase in the amount of smug manliness that impose upon myself (and obviously exude upon others). It lasts only until I realize that it would have been easier to just ride that same loop on the geared bike like a smart person would have done.

Reactions: tartosuc
#3 ·
I don't think riding any bike makes anyone a man.

I got rid of suspension in 2009. Had a bike that consistently blew suspension components. Over-corrected and went rigid. I am sure when I turn 40 shortly that I'll want some cush again.

SS - I have a SS and it's fine for bopping around on. rather have gears though.

What is the next "ego-man" trend? Going gripless?

#9 ·
I don't think riding any bike makes anyone a man.

I got rid of suspension in 2009. Had a bike that consistently blew suspension components. Over-corrected and went rigid. I am sure when I turn 40 shortly that I'll want some cush again.

SS - I have a SS and it's fine for bopping around on. rather have gears though.

What is the next "ego-man" trend? Going gripless?
Seatless? :eekster:

#4 ·
Nobody has called me crazy... I get "those are man gears" from other SS riders occasionally though.

OmaHaq- for the next big trend:how about no saddle or post :D

#6 ·
The only people who think riding a rigid SS 29er is hard are people who haven't even tried.

How hard cycling is isn't defined by what you ride, it's how you ride. You can push your limits with a full suspension bike with gears or you can have a relaxed ride on a rigid SS. Or the other way around. It's the rider, not the bike.

#8 ·
Riding a bike isn't hard. It's where and how you ride that makes it hard. Some trails are hilly and full of roots and rock gardens. Some trails are flowy with twists and turns.

Riding fully rigid single speeds is a choice you make and those bikes can be altered with different drive trains to fit just about every trail conditions you can encounter.

Riding a bike with too hard a gear is hard and foolish

#11 ·
As a noob to this sport I'm surprised how many people ride rigid SS. When I mentioned mountain biking to people several have told me they ride rigid ss and I have also run into several out on the trail on rigid ss bikes. Some cite the low maintenance and cost. For others the appeal seems to be more esoteric and I hear words like 'pure' and 'simplicity' and 'natural'. I guess most of them are experienced riders, have tried it all before and rigid SS is just another variation. They mostly seem to own multiple bikes and the rigid SS is what they opt to ride on certain trails. As a noob it initially held no appeal whatsoever but now I must admit to being a little curious.

The other thing mentioned is that you feel like being a kid again but I get that anyway from my 30 speed hardtail. :thumbsup:

#12 ·
Different strokes, different folks... right tool for the job... Isn't there a SS forum?

For what it's worth, been there.

At about 40, my knees didn't like the abuse so much, and I wanted to go faster. So I added gears for my knees and suspension for speed. Diggin' it so far. Not the right move for everybody, but it was for me.

#23 ·
Well? I'm real, and I'm a man...LOL

Seven years and counting on a rigid steel SSer 29er or 26er(V brakes ta boot)...
...only as of lately I have a aluminum gearie, but it is rigid steel forked and v braked!

If that isn't enough added a Rigid 29er and 26er SSer Coaster Brake bikes to the fleet, now I really don't have much to worry about Just pedal to go or stop.

Yes, "they" call me crazy, but it's all about having fun "no matter" what, as long as ya "get out and ride"

Attachments

#25 ·
Started mtb in 2004, bought a 29er ss in 2005.
My plan was to use it during winter/muddy rides to save the geared bike.
Not rigid though, I like the Reba
I once took the ss for a bad weather race.
Started on the last row, my only ambition was not to end last.
Probably because I was the only odd guy competing without gears, the speaker even mentioned my name during the race!
I ended about halfway...
Perhaps that's what it boils downn to: If you get overtaken by gearies, it's normal because you're on a ss.
The other way around however, than it is a huge boost for ones self esteem ;-)

PS: The next year I did that same race again with my geared bike.
The track was bone dry.
Only did 2 places better...

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.