mtbr member
    Jun 2016

Ready to buy. Trek Fuel EX vs Full Stache

Alright guys I am heading to the shop Friday to test ride both of theses bikes to replace my current Superfly hardtail. I like the fact the Fuel XT has a 2x11, however I'm excited about the possibility of winter riding the Stache full sus. What are you thoughts on the 2 bikes. I wanna hear it all before I ride them.

Thanks

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/b...olorCode=black

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/b...reenvisibility

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Superfly to regular carbon Stache would be more logical. You don't need big fs for winter. Stache fs is for big terrain and speeds.
    Is that your terrain? Phoenix possibly National as your main ride.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    Superfly to regular carbon Stache would be more logical. You don't need big fs for winter. Stache fs is for big terrain and speeds.
    Is that your terrain? Phoenix possibly National as your main ride.
    Sorry I should have given more details. I moved to Montana with lots of climbing and large decent, so far decent selection of terrain with lots of speed. To much for my Hardtail. Iv'e never winter rode before but thought I might be able to give it a shot if I had the Stache fs. I am definitly looking for a fs bike this time around and I will also keep my Superfly. Does that help?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Yes. Stache fs should handle more than the Fuel.
    You can run 2.6 XR4 Teams on the rear or front also for a different feel on the same wheels.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    anyone else have input?

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    If you're interested in winter riding, you may be able to find a quality, used fat bike specific for the winter months for a good price. Even an older model. Last year I bought a 2013 Salsa Mukluk2 for a great deal, didn't invest too much into it (went tubeless) and had a blast riding in the winter on it. Also nice having that b-bike in case something happens to your main ride or a friend needs to borrow it.

That said, if you only have the one bike option, the stache has versatility going for it, but the Fuel is a lot of bike for the $ and rips right out of the box. Nothing against the stache, both are great bikes, just have to choose the one that suites your needs the best.

turtles make me hot
    I agree with Bikerfisher. You don't need FS to ride in snow. Fat would be the weapon of choice. If you're only going to have one bike, I'd get the Stache.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Don't get a full stache unless you're riding really knarly stuff. I have a 2019 Fuel EX, it is 1x. 2x is history, old news, problem. I have a 1x 12 sram eagle on my 2019 EX 8 and that's all I need.

You're loosing A LOT of efficiency going to a full stache coming from a hardtail. Just go Fuel EX.

mtbr member
    Either bike will be great for your needs... The Fuel Ex a little less in the winter, the Stache a little less on those big, dry climbs.

I'd grab the Stache personally. Great on those gnarly descents that are overwhelming your HT & when the snow comes... you'll be a pig in swill ^^

'Born to ride!'
    "Mountain biking: the under-rated and drug-free antidepressant"

mtbr member
    I just made that decision. I picked he Fuel. Came down to sizing and efficiency for me. I fit a XXL better which isnít available in the Stache but in the end when you get on steeper climb those tires are tougher to turn and the XL stache was a couple lb heavier than the Fuel. Either way I do think it would be tough to go wrong though. Get a 1x12 and donít bother with the 2x. Just not needed and one more thing to adjust and upkeep.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    thanks for the input guys. I rode both yesterday and ended up breaking the stache. so now im at a stale mate

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    A full suspension for the winter snow is real rare here up north. I have an Alu fat 90mmx26 wheels with real winter tires with studs.
    For the other 8 months i have a hardtail 29, XC 100mm.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    What broke?

It's just a bike, the same stuff will break on either/any bike, just saying.

I'll sell you my Large Full Stache, send a PM if you're interested.

Quote Originally Posted by v33sonata View Post
    thanks for the input guys. I rode both yesterday and ended up breaking the stache. so now im at a stale mate
    Lrg GG Pedalhead 29
    XMed GG Smash 29
    Lrg Devinci Hendrix 27+
    Med Specialize Levo FSR 27+ (wife)

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    I have no idea what broke. They hadn't gotten a chance to look at it by the time I left. Sound like crank area or possibly the hub I'm not sure.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    I have a Farley 9.6 with 3.8 tires that is great in the fall, winter and spring when things are slippery and in the snow. For group rides it helps me work my arse off sucking wind to be at the back of the pack. I added an FS Epic and in comparison it's rocket fast and an amazing climber. I would figure out what you want to do most with it and what you can give up.