Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Full Tilt Boogie
    May 2005

Rawland Cycles Monster Crosser

Cheers.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I sell bikes here. Check out the Blog here. Facebook.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    That's just awesome.

VP of Riding & Drinking

great looking bike

That bike looks great but I thought they were 650B . Are those 29er wheels?

Harmonius Wrench
    Ben, that is super sweet. The fact that your 29"er tires fit makes this even more interesting, and a perfect monster crosser rig.

So, are we gonna see these in T.I.V5? It would be a great rig for that event.

I don't huck.
    Jun 2005
    Holy tight fit, Batman. That is close on the front tire/crown dealie. But this is a retrofit from 650b, yes?
    Blog Ramblings
    West Coast writer for twentynineinches.com

mtbr member
    That's cool - but scary close up front.

Why did you decide to go with 700cs instead of 650bs?

Jacob 34:19

Good stuff Ben!

Great looking bike Ben. How does it ride? Do you typically set up your bars that low?

Expert Crasher
    awesome - looks like a hoot to ride!
    Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin

Harmonius Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by MMcG
    That's cool - but scary close up front.

Why did you decide to go with 700cs instead of 650bs?
    Because he could.

You'd have to know Ben. He's like that.

Witty McWitterson
    Ben, that is saweet! Clearance is a bit ummmm tight there on that XR though....at least for my taste.

Pardon me. I'm off to view the Rawland website.
    Just a regular guy.

Devo
    totally diggin the style...
    awesome!
    www.AsanaCycles.com
    "Bicycle Lifestyle, realized." D.G.

Full Tilt Boogie
    May 2005
    I went with 700's simply because I do not have any 650b wheels yet. (I have to buy a wedding ring before more bike parts!)

The Rawland is designed for 650b's, but clears smaller 29ers easily. The rear has room for Ignitors with 4mm. So anything like those, Crossmarks, small Karmas, Smallblock 8's and Crows should fit fine. The picture is bad of the front, but the XR has 4mm of clearance in the center of the tread. Clearance increases beyond this point to a full 7-8mm at the side knobs. This is plenty for how I'll be riding this bike. I don't ride in mud, we simply don't have any of note on my local trails or gravel roads. A Crossmark to match the rear would substantially increase room in the front.

Jake, on my cross and road bikes, I do run my bars lower than this. The hoods on this bike are about level with the seat, it's really upright and comfy. The drops are totally usable, and are quite comfortable with double wrapped tape.

Mark, I'm too fat to rid TI! I'll pitch in for support if you need any, and the bike may be up for grabs to a worthy borrower!

Thanks for playing, Ben.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Ben,
    Looks awesome
    What is the quality of the frame like? welds? paint?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by benwitt11
    I went with 700's simply because I do not have any 650b wheels yet. (I have to buy a wedding ring before more bike parts!)

The Rawland is designed for 650b's, but clears smaller 29ers easily. The rear has room for Ignitors with 4mm. So anything like those, Crossmarks, small Karmas, Smallblock 8's and Crows should fit fine. The picture is bad of the front, but the XR has 4mm of clearance in the center of the tread. Clearance increases beyond this point to a full 7-8mm at the side knobs. This is plenty for how I'll be riding this bike. I don't ride in mud, we simply don't have any of note on my local trails or gravel roads. A Crossmark to match the rear would substantially increase room in the front.

Jake, on my cross and road bikes, I do run my bars lower than this. The hoods on this bike are about level with the seat, it's really upright and comfy. The drops are totally usable, and are quite comfortable with double wrapped tape.

Mark, I'm too fat to rid TI! I'll pitch in for support if you need any, and the bike may be up for grabs to a worthy borrower!

Thanks for playing, Ben.
    very cool. Wow - congrats on the pending ring buying too. your new soon to be wife will have some cool bikes to try out if she's into riding that's for sure!

Expert Crasher
    I think it looks great w/ the 29er wheels - roll w/ some 1.8 Bontragers or the 1.75 DryX and be happy!
    Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin

trail rat
    Oh my! My favorite wheels, and then that fork crown and curved fork blades!
    Gotta sell a bike or two quick, and get one of those, NOW!

CCCMB web - Facebook
    SLO trail maps - conditions

"The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

Full Tilt Boogie
    May 2005
    Thanks for the comments.

The quality seems to be up there with other bikes like ones from Surly and the like. It is made by the same company as Surly uses, (Maxway.) I would expect overall build quality to be much the same. The powdercoat is a really nice color, something which isn't perfectly shown in the pictures.

mtbr member
    Ben,
    That's one burly looking bike! Definitely looks capable of handling your style.
    jon
    If you're lucky enough to be in the mountains,
    you're lucky enough.

Recovering couch patato
    The bike is great, keep it that way!
    What would smaller wheels have to add to that?

And keep the wife happy, from the wheelset money buy her flowers and a bracelet to go with the ring, :-)

Not a regular
    Jan 2004
    I dig the mix of old and new parts. Nice build.

Fahrrad fahren
    That.

Is.

Hot.

Full Tilt Boogie
    May 2005
    SSMike- Thanks. I traded a lady a rear rack for an old Avitar with XT thumbies and some other nice stuff. In my defence, she came in looking to just leave it with us. The cranks and der work really well, and the rear der was just laying around. It was a true parts bin build, I only needed a 118mil BB. It all plays really nice together, and I love the asethics. It was just one of those builds that just came together.

I put about 20 miles on the bike today, and it continues to make me happy. I just have gravel and street miles on it so far, but it's really been good so far. The ride is pretty stable, but it really likes to corner. The bike feels plenty stiff, but rides really smooth. The fork legs may also be shorter than most, but they take up the bumps really well. Larger riders may feel them to be a bit flexy, but I think it's a perfect match for the purpose of this bike. I've been playing around a bit on some logs and such, and the bike is easier to throw around with the drops than I thought. My previous experiance with offroad drops was with WTB dirt drops, these left me rather unimpressed. I really like it with the more traditional bars though. It really feels like a stable, bomber CX bike.

I'll be riding our normal loop on the bike tomorrow. It's a nice 13 miler with a lot of climbing and some pretty hairy descents. Should be a good test of the bike's full capabilities.

'Calm Down'
    Ben - What size frame is that? Sean recommended ML Sogn for me and I'm wonder what size yours is for reference.

Also, any more ride impressions?

Thanks,
    jw
    -

"And single-speeding 29ers are mountain biking's equivalent of Scientologists..." - Captain Dondo

Full Tilt Boogie
    May 2005
    The frame is a ML. For your information, I am long legged and have a short torso, hence the 90mm stem.

I am really liking the bike so far. It is a lot flexier in the rear, (not a bad thing in this case,) than my current SS. The fork really has a nice ride to it, and the mix of parts I have are all playing really nice together.

I've been screwing around town on the bike lately, letting everything settle in. Las night was it's maiden gravel voyage, and it really did well. I am very happy with how well it ride and corners. After riding it in some scetchy stuff, it became apparent that there is some toe overlap, though thus was minor and came in tech sections long after I was thoroughly worn out. My technique at that point wad pretty much out the window, which probably had a lot to do with that.

Basically, the bike is performing exactly as it was designed too. For me, the 29er wheels are really working well, though if I continue to ride mostly gravel I'll switch to Crossmarks front and rear. If it was a custom bike, there are a few thing I would change. Really it's just made me realize the possibility of having that "one bike.". It wouldn't be this on specifically, but is furthering my thoughts on that.

Check out my blog if you want a more detailed report if my ride last night, and for more pics and updates about the bike. Hope this helps, cheers.

SpoK Werks Handmade Goods
    That's a really sweet bike (even the fact that it's supposed to be a 650 thing-a-ma-jig doesn't hide that fact). Thanks for sharing.

Get the gal one of those Ti rings. :-)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast