mtbr member

Raven 29er tire - 2.0 or 2.2 - any opinons ? ? ?

Hello,

I am looking at using the Stan's Notubes 29" Raven as a front tire on my rigid 69er for an upcoming race. I am interested to hear everyone's thoughts and opinions on this tire. How does it corner? How is the rolling resistance? It it still fast like the Crow? Also, seeing I'm going to be using it on a rigid bike I was wondering if the 2.2 (higher volume) would offer a significant amount more 'suspension' when compared to the 2.0?

I appreciate any feedback you can provide - thanks

mtbr member
    anyone.....

Harshing my mellow, man..
    Jun 2008
    give it time, you only asked a couple of hours ago.
    i have run the 2.0 on the rear of my 9er, so i can't say exactly how it works on the front. but it worked fantastic when I did run it. super fast, never broke loose when climbing. as far as being rigid and acting as suspension, i don't have anything for that. hope that helps some.

mtbr member
    I appreciate the info - thanks man

COMBO - President
    I would not consider the Raven or Crow for a front tire in either width. I use the Raven 2.2 on the rear and it hooks up great but as a front tire I would get something with some real tread, I use a 2.4 Continental Mountain King.

For tire pressure I run the Raven at 24 PSI and the Conti at 20PSI.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by locobaylor
    give it time, you only asked a couple of hours ago.
    i have run the 2.0 on the rear of my 9er, so i can't say exactly how it works on the front. but it worked fantastic when I did run it. super fast, never broke loose when climbing. as far as being rigid and acting as suspension, i don't have anything for that. hope that helps some.
    rolls super fast, intermediate knobs provide good traction in front provided the weight is over it. i run it on loose over hardpacked and like them. They are kinda loose, so not for everyone. I also run a crow at the back, and have run SB8 front and rear, so that should give you and idea of the sorts of rubber I like.

For me the consistent feel across the range of traction or otherwise is what I like. So do not mind it sliding if the point is known and there is no abrupt grive level changes.

Tyres are also pressure dependent, and I run them low (max28psi and min 21psi).

Recovering Weight Weenie
    Not as a front tire as has been stated. Unless you will not be turning.

Your Best Friend
    I have one of each and there is a big weight difference between the two. 2.0=486, 2.2=550. Just in case you cared.

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by single speed kid
    Hello,

I am looking at using the Stan's Notubes 29" Raven as a front tire on my rigid 69er for an upcoming race. I am interested to hear everyone's thoughts and opinions on this tire. How does it corner? How is the rolling resistance? It it still fast like the Crow? Also, seeing I'm going to be using it on a rigid bike I was wondering if the 2.2 (higher volume) would offer a significant amount more 'suspension' when compared to the 2.0?

I appreciate any feedback you can provide - thanks
    I've been racing the 2.2 Raven this season (front and rear). Yup, it's fast like the Crow but with mucho better cornering due to the knobs. Braking is about the same, but the nod goes to the Raven for the larger volume and lower pressures providing more braking grip.

It will give you a little bit more "suspension" than the Crow, but I can't answer for your specific rigid set up. I race them on a full suspension with me staying on the saddle 95% of the time. My ideal tire pressure - and I weigh 180 - has become about 19 - 21 psi front and 22-23 psi rear with my American Classic rims. Even better if they are mounted up tubeless on some wider rims (28mm in outer width). On wider rims, I run about 1 - 2 psi lower if I can get away with it. Running them too much higher than that for me means I lose the Velcro stickiness of them and start bouncing along the trail which makes cornering, climbing and braking not as good as when the pressure is lower. Keep in mind that I am racing them on upper midwest trails in Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa and Nebraska. Roots, rocks, roots, ruts, buff singletrack, grassy doubletrack, dust, roots, dust, and etc.... . Your terrain and soil may be totally different.

Bluff Riders Charge at Mt. Kato

BBisRacingatMt.Kato

FirecrackerAlso

NoTubes Volume

ChitChatwithMartini

Cruising Along

FirecrackerBackside

57mm width on my Blunts...

Raven on Blunt = 57mm
    They can be raced and enjoyed and trusted on the front. That's my opinion - which is obviously different than some others who have posted in this thread.

BB

mtbr member
    I have been running the 2.2 Raven in the front and rear. I do tend to loose the front from time to time. This tire makes a much better rear tire then front in my opinion. Like others have said, as long as you have your weight over it then your fine. I just can't seem to run the pressure low enough to get the traction I want.

I plan on trying out a Racing Ralph in the front. The Raven just doesn't give me enough traction for a front tire.

mtbr member
    I bought two of the 2.2's but I'm waiting for it to dry up down here in Florida to try it on the front. I'm running it on the back with a 2.25 Racing Ralph on the front and love this setup. I like it so much Its going to be hard to bring myself to make the change.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Did I catch a niner?
    The Raven is a good front tire with higher shoulders and The Crow is great rear, however to shine they NEED to be run a low PSI. I think they say the max should be 40PSI on these tires.

pink

mtbr member
    High and low is relative. 40 psi would be very bouncy for me. My lowest low is 16 psi, my highest high is 25.....around 18/20 front/rear does the trick for me on Crossmarks. I am 170 lbs. Sorry for not sticking 100% to the topic, but just had to comment on 40 psi being low.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Racing rigid 29er SS in northern Michigan, similar to how Minnisota/Wisconsin described above. Wonder how the Raven 2.2 compares to the Racing Ralph or any other comparable tires. I'll be running on Stan's Arch, tubeless at low psi.

Thanks,
    Steve