Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Rank Them: 2011 Carbon HT 29ers

26K views 39 replies 24 participants last post by  Silentfoe 
#1 · (Edited)
It was only a matter of time... ;)

With all the 29er Carbon "threads", how could I resist... :D

This list is NOT all-inclusive:
Access Carbon 29er; AXMAN Carbon 29er; Breezer Cloud 9 (LTD, Pro); Cannondale Flash Carbon 29er (1, 2, 3); Carbotech Carbon 29er; Chiru Carbon 29er; Ellsworth Enlightenment 29er; Felt Nine (LTD, Team, Elite); FRM Carbon 29er (ANAKIN, GALAXY); GFC by Trek Superfly (Elite, Base, SS); GOTOBIKE Carbon 29er, GT Carbon Zaskar 29er, Hong Fu Carbon 29er; Jamis Dakota d29 (Team, Pro); Marin Team CXR 29er; Niner Air 9 Carbon; Norco Jubei SL Carbon 29er; On-One Carbon 29er (1, 2); Orbea Alma 29er (S Team, S10, S30, S50); Scott Scale 29er (RC, Pro); Specialized Stumpjumper 29er (S-Works, S-Works SS, Expert, Expert Evo, Comp Carbon); Viner Spa FS Carbon 29"; Wholesale Carbon 29er...

I know there are others, post 'em on your lists and I will try to add them. If any details are incorrect (brand names, bicycle names, models, weights, etc.), please let me know so I can edit. Thanks.

Also, these are end result responses and rankings. For YOUR list, it may be important to YOU where the frame is made or by what company; If this is the case, the end result will be a higher or lower ranking (or not included) on YOUR list. Please post your rankings, but try not to insult others' choices and opinions with rants. Thank you, again.

For me, my rankings are based loosely on some of the following criteria: weight, aesthetics, fun factor (real or perceived) and geo considerations...I just started to warm up to HT 29ers, still learning...

For frame weight (L), the Scott Scale RC @ ~949g is currently the lightest advertised, but the FRM GALAXY and ANAKIN 29ers look like they may be lighter (80 and 85kg limit). The On-One @ ~1000g (with a weight limit, IIRC 80kg) <---now ~1100g and ~1300g (both with no rider weight limit), the Scott Scale Pro @ ~1050g, the Specialized Stumpjumper S-Works @ ~1100g, Felt Nine LTD @ ~1100g and the Cannondale Flash Carbon @ ~1170g are all fairly light, as well. Rounding out my lists' weight contenders are the Trek Superfly Elite @ ~1300g, the Niner Air 9 Carbon @ 1386g, the Orbea Alma @ ~1420g and the Breezer Cloud 9 LTD (couldn't find a weight, but "boasts" it is not the lightest, not the best sign)...

For aesthetics, the Indy Fab crowns or awesome, looking forward to IF developing a Carbon HT 29er. The lines of the Niner Air 9 Carbon are impressive as well. I like the uniqueness of the FRMs and the Orbea Alma design (and the supposed benefits of the race geometry, including the 4x4 technology). IMO, the FRMs are not only lightweight, but also sleek and stylish.

Other factors: I would like to run any of my choices with a Lefty fork, so that spec would stay constant, no matter the brand. The lifetime warranties for Cannondale, Jamis Orbea, Scott, Specialized and Trek are appealing (there are others, I'm sure)...

So, overall...the moment we've all been waiting for (not really; but, oh well, you've come this far)...

My Top 10
1. Scott 949 Scale RC 29er
2. FRM ANAKIN 29er
3. Niner Air 9 Carbon
4. Orbea Alma 29er S Team
5. Specialized Stumpjumper S-Works 29er
6. Cannondale Flash Carbon 29er 1
7. Felt Nine Limited
8. Jamis Dakota D29
9. GFC by Trek Superfly Elite
10. Breezer Cloud 9 Limited

Once Indy Fab, Ibis (Carbon Tranny 29er) and Storck come out with Carbon HT 29ers, I'm sure they will be on this list...

If you would like to post, please do. If you are looking for a debate, start your own thread. If you could care less for my posts: 1. Move Along, 2. Unsubscribe or 3. Click Ignore...YMMV...YRMV... :thumbsup:

See less See more
#3 ·
My mod of your list! Too lazy to pick my own

1. Orbea Alma 29er S Team
2. Cannondale Flash Carbon 29er 1
3. Scott 949 Scale RC
4. FRM ANAKIN 29er
5. Niner Air 9 Carbon
6. Specialized Stumpjumper S-Works 29er
7. Felt Nine Limited
8. Jamis Dakota D29
9. GFC by Trek Superfly Elite
10. Breezer Cloud 9 Limited

#4 ·
A shootout is not complete without back to back comparisons by riders who have ridden the models listed. Pertinent info and ride characteristics for each model, also.
This is just a compilation of names.

#6 ·
Looks like it will be hard to go wrong in 2011 if you are looking for a carbon racer bike.

What strikes me as interresting, and I may be corrected...Many of the frames are similar in how they look to damp trail chatter. The Cannondale, Scott and Specialized all use stays designed to flex in just about the same way. Didn't the Cannondale guy used to work for Scott?

Bikes I've ridden:

2010 Specialized Expert- Very fast, quick steering, beat the crap out of me on the trail.
2010 Cannondale Flash 1 - Light, as fast as the Specialized but damped the trail chatter.
2010 Scott Scale (not carbon)- More stable due to geometry, handled nicely, confident.
2010 Jamis D29- Is this bike carbon? ;) Very heavy compared to the others. Stable.
2009 GF Superfly- First carbon 29er I ever rode. Impressed with its ability to accelerate.

All that said, I ordered the 2011 Scott Scale RC.

#7 ·
Thanks For Keeping It Real...

wannabeRacer said:
I would go for the custom Indy Fab, thats outside your top 10 list ;)
IMO, the IF would be pure sweetness... :thumbsup:
jfkbike2 said:
My mod of your list! Too lazy to pick my own
Nice list! Looks vaguely familiar... :D
azjonboy said:
A shootout is not complete without back to back comparisons by riders who have ridden the models listed. Pertinent info and ride characteristics for each model, also.
You are correct... ;)
ppfeifer said:
+1 azjonboy. This aint no shootout, partner. This threat should be renamed:...
Points well taken...thread renamed... :)
Silentfoe said:
Looks like it will be hard to go wrong in 2011 if you are looking for a carbon racer bike.
I agree...some nice looking, lightweight, decent geo frame choices... :eekster:
Silentfoe said:
Bikes I've ridden:
Nice list. Now that I have finalized details for my FS 29ers (and until I find a Rockstar Ti to demo, or the re-release of the reworked Anthem X-29er and the debut of the Spearfish...I am looking at more Carbon HT 29ers to try)... :p
Silentfoe said:
Sweet. Pics, ride reports and details (in your own thread, of course), when it arrives! :cool:

#9 ·
Not Mountain...Yet...

chuckc1971 said:
Does IF make a custom carbon 29er or even a full carbon mountain bike? I didn't find anything on their blog or their site. Very curious.... Have a link?
It has to start somewhere... :thumbsup:
IMO, nice start... ;)
Imagine how great this will look redesigned as a custom HT 29er... :eekster:
Deuce9er said:
Once they build a Carbon HT 29er... :eekster:
IMO, this is a good first step into the carbon arena... :thumbsup:
Only a matter of time... :D

https://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=652238

#10 ·
Deuce9er said:
The On-One @ ~1000g (with a weight limit, IIRC 80kg)
Where did you find this info (weight limit?)

My Top 7
1. On-One Carbon (if they ever release it...)
2. Cannondale Flash Carbon 29er
3. Scott 949 Scale Pro 29er
4. Niner Air 9 Carbon
5. Orbea Alma 29er S Team
6. Specialized Stumpjumper S-Works 29er
7. GFC by Trek Superfly Elite

ZT

#11 · (Edited)
On-One Website Blog...

Zen_Turtle said:
Where did you find this info (weight limit?)
ZT
In the comments section: May 10, 2010 (part of the On-One Team)... :thumbsup:
JonB said:
We're planning 2 lay-ups to suit all riders. The sub 1kg we'd not recommend for riders over 80kg, men/women of substance or bulls in china shops. This frame doesn't use swap-outs to save weight, single speed version expected end of the summer...
http://www.on-one.co.uk/news/products/q/date/2010/04/15/2010-carbon-29er-weighs-in-under-1kg

Edit: on September 20, 2010, JonB responds to an inquiry regarding 189# using the On-One Carbon 29er with "Your weight should be no problem..."

#15 ·
I don't want to start a flame war but here is my take on the GT. Most carbon frames try to get more of the bike into "one" piece of fiber. If you look at most of the newer frames, the Orbea/Scott/Cannondale you'll see the top tube continuously run into the seat stays. This applies the advantages of Carbon over metal in that you can tune the ride better. With GT sticking to their triple triangle design I believe they are losing out on the carbon front. YOMV.

#17 ·
My list
1] Superfly Elite (wallet vote]
2] Niner (Colors!)
2.5] Cannondale (Flash looks cool)
3] Jamis (would go with my steel Jamis 29er)
4] Breezer (would go with my steel Breezer 26)

#19 ·
You should add the Marin CXR to the list. Not sure about the weight, but you know it will have a great ride feel. Sharp looks too. That said...

1. Scott 949
2. Marin CXR
3. Niner Air
4. C'dale Flash
5. Jamis

My thought about the carbon 29, I want a big company with good warranty policies in place when I snap a chainstay or headtube bond. I have had experience with all of these companies warranty dept. except Jamis and all have been nothing short of great to deal with. Trek didn't make my top 5 for the simple reason of the frequency in which their warranty is called upon.

#20 ·
Silentfoe said:

What strikes me as interresting, and I may be corrected...Many of the frames are similar in how they look to damp trail chatter. The Cannondale, Scott and Specialized all use stays designed to flex in just about the same way. Didn't the Cannondale guy used to work for Scott?

Bikes I've ridden:

2010 Specialized Expert- Very fast, quick steering, beat the crap out of me on the trail.
2010 Cannondale Flash 1 - Light, as fast as the Specialized but damped the trail chatter.
2010 Scott Scale (not carbon)- More stable due to geometry, handled nicely, confident.
2010 Jamis D29- Is this bike carbon? ;) Very heavy compared to the others. Stable.
2009 GF Superfly- First carbon 29er I ever rode. Impressed with its ability to accelerate.

Any opinion on which is the most compliant? I get that it isn't the specialized.
I've only ridden the Niner carbon so we don't have much common ground.

#22 ·
bikescott09 My thought about the carbon 29 said:
Contradictory statement; You want a big company, but the biggest company you don't want. Trek probably outsells all the rest of the brands on your list put together and for sure when it comes to carbon.

#23 ·
prphoto said:
Contradictory statement; You want a big company, but the biggest company you don't want. Trek probably outsells all the rest of the brands on your list put together and for sure when it comes to carbon.
Why is it a contradiction for him to say he doesn't want the biggest company--TREK--because though it might honor its warranties, there have been too many issues with the Superfly to make it worth the trouble? Reasoning seemed pretty clear to me.

#26 ·
prphoto, i should clarify my opinion that I want someone that can help quickly IF something goes wrong, not WHEN. I can accept a warranty here and there, but trek/ gf has a reputation moreso than others that the frames have difficulty withstanding certain aggressive ride styles. I see where the statement could be seen as contradictory, but I want to ride my bike more than i want to replace it. From friends' experiences with trek/ gf, the downtime waiting for the replacement was longer than I have experienced with the others mentioned. Their experiences resembled my current experience with one of my road bikes, a certain boutique that has my warranty replacement unresolved after 10weeks. This is the type of scenario I am looking to avoid when making decisions on a new bike.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.