mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Rampage SC for 29er

i've read from reliable sources that the SC compound is the shiznit for wet terrain, yet it's not available for the 29er version of the rampage. pity. so i figure i'll send a friendly request to the good folks at Panaracer and ask for it. good luck eh, it's all but impossible. frustrating that companies don't want to hear from the buying public!

rider
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by cunningstunts View Post
    i've read from reliable sources that the SC compound is the shiznit for wet terrain, yet it's not available for the 29er version of the rampage. pity. so i figure i'll send a friendly request to the good folks at Panaracer and ask for it. good luck eh, it's all but impossible. frustrating that companies don't want to hear from the buying public!
    The Rampage 29er tire is still a surprisingly good tire, given the fact that it has been around a long time and is sorely in need of an update. In my book it was the first good all around tire that had decent size, knobs and toughness. So yes, asking Panaracer to slap some swanky Japanese rubber compound(s) on it and also some form of anti-pinch/sidewall toughening tech is a good idea.
    Abandoned the 26" wheel in May '03

Panaracer Go-To Guy
    Hi guys. It's Jeff from Panaracer. YES, we actually listen and reply! To cunningstunts and 29erchico; we recently made a commitment to make 29's in Japan. Previously we had a partner factory in Taiwan make these for costs purposes. They aren't as advanced in their technology as we are so they couldn't copy the compound. And while I don't think we will actually make the Rampage 29 in Japan because of our future 29 plans (new Driver 29 x 2.20 Pro coming in February) you can expect to see more Japanese made 29's coming from us with all our technologies included.

Trail Prospector
    Jeff,
    Appreciate your taking the time to post. Have been using the Rampage 29er for years, as it remains one of the best grippy & light, high-volume tires available. Maxxis listened, as their Ardent 2.4 is both more durable, and faster rolling. Not interested in yet another 2.2 racer tire, but feel many others also seek better high-volume 29er trail tires.
    Thanks,
    The best is the one you want to ride most often..

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by panaracerjeff View Post
    Hi guys. It's Jeff from Panaracer. YES, we actually listen and reply! To cunningstunts and 29erchico; we recently made a commitment to make 29's in Japan. Previously we had a partner factory in Taiwan make these for costs purposes. They aren't as advanced in their technology as we are so they couldn't copy the compound. And while I don't think we will actually make the Rampage 29 in Japan because of our future 29 plans (new Driver 29 x 2.20 Pro coming in February) you can expect to see more Japanese made 29's coming from us with all our technologies included.
    I think the Rampage is worthy as is (plus the features available in Japan).

A 29" version of the CG AC/AM would be very cool.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Jeff what about some dual ply 2,4-2,6 AM-FR 29" tyres? There is some interest from riders like MC, Skippy etc
    Whistler 2011.
    Wine Me Dine Me 29 Me! | NSMB.e.MAGAZINE - Freeride, Extreme and North Shore style Mountain Biking

metrotuned WoS
    Deets: The new 29 is the 2.2 “Panaracer Driver”. Kevlar bead, 600 grams. MSRP is 55.95.
    Available late December 2011. Fast rolling 2.5 mm center knobs with a
    special rounded profile and 3 mm side lugs for seamless transitions and
    cornering.

> and pic: Panaracer Driver 29er | MTBR Interbike Coverage

Panaracer Go-To Guy
    Thanks for the great feedback people. It is appreciated. I do send these suggestions to the rest of our team in Japan and we discuss them. The lineup for most of 2012 is already set but we are working on 2013 now and all of this is timely. Thanks again for the input and keep it coming.

Dinner for wolves
    I agree with Shiggy and FLying W, the Rampage is swell.

The Rampage gives up little to its competition in the fat 29er tire department. I use them faithfully because they work great as they are. What kind of technology can the Japanese offer that might improve the Rampage in, say, 2013? I am curious.
    Responds to gravity

And He was Not
    Thanks for posting Panaracer Jeff. I hate to be a stick in the mud but you guys hit a homerun with the Rampage so don't mess it up by "Improving It". Most of like it just like it is. It is the tire most others are measured by. Just make something different.
    The Truth is out there. Here it isThe TRUTH

Category Winner
    (new Driver 29 x 2.20 Pro coming in February)

Hmmmmm...

What's going on there?

Been wondering if Panaracer would ever make something I'd wanna stick on the back to go with the Rampages I've been running since 2007 when they first hit the US and the world went nuts over 75 tires.
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

I get paid 3˘ every time I post on MTBR.

Panaracer Go-To Guy
    buddhak, Enoch, and teamdicky: IF we produced the Rampage in Japan, we wouldn't change much, just the rubber. We would probably inject our ZSG technology into the compound. Better grip with long life. And we will be making different 29's, for sure. Not just re-doing a current model, if we do that at all. Hope that's clear? Thanks again for the relies, all!

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    panaracerjeff: any pics, additional info on this soon to be available Driver 2.2 Pro? Big fan of the Rampage too, but a little too slow for the rear. Maybe the driver could fill the void.
    Grammar and spelling errors are complementary.

Panaracer Go-To Guy
    Quote Originally Posted by schwing_ding View Post
    panaracerjeff: any pics, additional info on this soon to be available Driver 2.2 Pro? Big fan of the Rampage too, but a little too slow for the rear. Maybe the driver could fill the void.
    Shiggy mentioned specs above, check out my member photo gallery for a couple of pictures.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    couple of years ago the rampage 2.35 was my favorite front tire, but the spec purgatory 2.4 has eclipsed it for the trails i ride in CA / PNW. Purgatory has comparable traction and cornering, yet noticeably better rolling resistance than the Rampage. And in terms of tubeless performance, mounts easier and has a less porous sidewall.

look fwd to trying new panaracer tires to see how they've improved.
    Originally posted by bucksaw87
    I still fail to see how mustaches, fixies, and PBR are ironic.

ride more
    Mar 2007
    I'll be looking forward to the driver, should be an exellant rear tire for me.

MTB B'dos
    Good to see Panaracer interacting on the boards, good to have a presence, might have been good for it to be used earlier to see if the 29er segment really wanted another skinny, small blocked, racer tyre - I'd think the consensus would have been HELL NO! Maybe they thought they were missing out on a market, who knows, all I know is I don't want to see another XC/Race tyre, we need bigger true 2.4"> tyres - following the design trends (130mm> travel FS) would show that's where the market is going.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

I'm with stupid
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    Good to see Panaracer interacting on the boards, good to have a presence, might have been good for it to be used earlier to see if the 29er segment really wanted another skinny, small blocked, racer tyre - I'd think the consensus would have been HELL NO! Maybe they thought they were missing out on a market, who knows, all I know is I don't want to see another XC/Race tyre, we need bigger true 2.4"> tyres - following the design trends (130mm> travel FS) would show that's where the market is going.
    X2 More bigger trail tires that roll decent.

rider
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by hitechredneck View Post
    X2 More bigger trail tires that roll decent.
    Agreed. A 2.4 version of the of the XC CG would fill the bill. I have been running the XC CG on the back on both KH & Gordo wide rims. Great tire for it's size, it measures out almost as big as a Rampage, rolls much better and hooks up great.

Flaccid Member
    If there was one wish for the Rampage, it would be a tire that has less rolling resistance. Other than that, I like it just as it is. I'm not talking Racing Ralph type rolling resistance, but better than it is now, for when you do those long 30 mile, 5000 foot vertical day trail rides where everything gets thrown at you, rocks, some chunk, sand, decomposed granite, etc.

Great tire, I've used up more Rampages on 29'er than any other tire type.
    "i'll brazilian when YOU do boy, right around the ol' rusty star. Actually, whole fruit bowl. Get on it!" NicoleB

rider
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by RandyBoy View Post

Great tire, I've used up more Rampages on 29'er than any other tire type.
    My best guess is that I have gone thru 15 or more of the Ramp 29er tire. They are good on the rear when mounted on mondo wide rims. Even with the extra volume from the wide rims I find that I can't go below about 33 psi in the rear or I will pinch flat.

The reason that I don't usually run it in the front is that I can't go below 28-29 psi up front or I will get a rather disconcerting "rolling under" of the tire when doing steep downhill switchback moves. I can run the Ardent 2.4 2-3 psi lower up front w/o this issue, perhaps because of the Exo fabric wrap on top of the ply.

Category Winner
    Shiggy mentioned specs above, check out my member photo gallery for a couple of pictures.
    My guess is that I am one of the many who searched and came up with nothing.

I suk at internetting.
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by teamdicky View Post
    My guess is that I am one of the many who searched and came up with nothing.

I suk at internetting.
    Here you go:
    Panaracer Driver 29er | MTBR Interbike Coverage

This is a 2.2, so bigger than most of the "fast" tread tires on the market, and it does fill a hole in Panaracer's 29er lineup.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Category Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    Here you go:
    Panaracer Driver 29er | MTBR Interbike Coverage

This is a 2.2, so bigger than most of the "fast" tread tires on the market, and it does fill a hole in Panaracer's 29er lineup.
    grassyass
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM