mtbr member

New question here. Rampage 29 vs. Racing Ralph 29 tire

I have Rampages on my Rip 9 now. They have great traction and rolling pretty good...I've heard the Racing Ralph has better traction and roll faster...has anyone rode both and which one did you like.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by pcupach
    I have Rampages on my Rip 9 now. They have great traction and rolling pretty good...I've heard the Racing Ralph has better traction and roll faster...has anyone rode both and which one did you like.
    I would expect the Ralph to wear MUCH faster. It doesn't have 'racing' in the title for nothing. My Rampage has worn very well in the rear and will be replaced with the same when it's time comes. I don't understand this whole rolling resistance thing when you're just out trail riding, call me crazy. Well, that answers zero of your questions since I haven't ridden both.
    -jon

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by pcupach

I've got them on a RIP9 as well. Rampage F/R was on before the RR's. This is one of those scenarious where "different horses (tires) for different courses comes into play.

The Rampage excels in steep, very loose, off camber trails, "get sloppy with some lines and recover" with bigger rocks, etc. trails. Sheds mud pretty well.

The Ralph (2.4") excels in fast, more hardpacked (or slightly loose) terrain. Not quite as stable in the big stuff as the Rampage, yet I can push the Ralph harder in the corners if it isn't super chunky or techical. In fact I'm trying in one corner to get them to break and I can't...but it's one of those situations if I do I'm holding so much speed it wouldn't be pretty. Packs mud a bit more more. A phenomenal packed snow tire.

One observation, it seems like I can ride a gear or two lower on the road, the Ralphs really roll and make hardly any noise. They roll very, very fast. One RR 2.4 was 640 grams, the other 670 so they are big, light, and roll super nice.

Hope that helps.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Niner Bikes employee. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Niner-...3652275?ref=ts
    Front Range Forum Moderator

Recovering couch patato
    I'm very interested in the packed snow part. I'll need a bike next winter to be fast over groomed snow, in a winter triathlon. Are you aware of such conditions, enough to comment on that intended purpose? I cannot get in snow training, by well, lack of snow, I'll be traveling to it and needing my time for the skis.
    Thanks!

Single Speed Junkie
    Nice pics. How about frame clearance? any measurements with a caliper width and height? How do they compare to the WTB WW?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Interesting.. IMO seems like it would be cool to run a Ralph rear and Rampage front, looks like the Ralph has a higher volume though?

mtbr member

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by dieselcruiserhead
    IMO seems like it would be cool to run a Ralph rear and Rampage front
    Which Ralph rear 2,4" or 2,25"? I would rather put 2,25" rear and Rampage front.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Cool I didn't know they made the 2.25. That solves that problem. the photo above looks like a 2.4 Ralph and looks like it is a little larger...

mtbr member
    Great responses and ideas by everyone...
    The pics really pushed the point home....I like the idea about the Rampage up front and the RR 2.25 in the rear...If I configured the bike that way it would give me a snow plow with teeth in front and a narrow disk to sink into the sand and bite into the earth for traction in the rear plus the RR faster roll characteristic would benifit me for speed.
    Thanks for the input

The Dog.
    FYI...I've done two snow races on the rampages and found them to be excellent. Don't run the rear in the direction Panaracer wants. Run it like a Nevegal...

bmw
    mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by jlang002
    I would expect the Ralph to wear MUCH faster. It doesn't have 'racing' in the title for nothing. My Rampage has worn very well in the rear and will be replaced with the same when it's time comes. I don't understand this whole rolling resistance thing when you're just out trail riding, call me crazy. Well, that answers zero of your questions since I haven't ridden both.
    -jon
    Why would the Ralph wear much faster? Is this true?

Expert Crasher
    Quote Originally Posted by bmw
    Why would the Ralph wear much faster? Is this true?
    softer tread compound
    Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin

Welcome to the Gem...
    also keep in mind... softer compound means stickier tire... means grip, grip, rip!!
    2008 JabberWocky
    Chubs... Carbon... Good...

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by crux
    Nice pics. How about frame clearance? any measurements with a caliper width and height? How do they compare to the WTB WW?
    I don't have that info (I don't own calipers but Shiggy does ) but if you are talking frame clearance on a RIP9 then here are some clearance pics. Gobs of space as you can see...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Niner Bikes employee. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Niner-...3652275?ref=ts
    Front Range Forum Moderator