mtbr member
    Apr 2011

Raleigh XXIX+G or ?

So I'm close to purchase time and have been zeroing in on the Raleigh. Can get it locally for around $1500 and I wanted to see if there were any other options I should be checking out. Must be a steel frame. I was originally leaning towards an El Mariachi, but mediums are sold out for 2011. My other option was to go with a Soma Juice frame and buy something from BD to use as a build kit but they are sold out on a lot of the options there also. Let me know some options and opinions. I'm looking to be under $2000 but around $1500 is better.

The build on the Raleigh is decent and the front shock is the best I can find in that price range.
    Here's the Raleigh specs.
    http://www.raleighusa.com/bikes/mountain/xxixg-11/

Thanks

Apr 2007
    Jamis Dragon 29ers. 853 Reynolds. I noticed a local shop was blowing them out under $2k for a full XT model.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by p nut
    Jamis Dragon 29ers. 853 Reynolds. I noticed a local shop was blowing them out under $2k for a full XT model.
    I did read the other thread about Jenson having the 09 model but I don't see it listed on their site anymore. I'll check a couple shops in the area and see what I can find. The problem I'm running into is most of the shops local to me don't keep much stock of steel 29ers. They usually order when needed, but I'm finding 2011 medium frames are getting tough to find.

Apr 2007
    Well, you may want to check out an online shop if your current shops can't or won't help.

http://www.speedgoat.com/Catalog.aspx/Browse?Prod=20271

Looks like the El Mars are in stock. I'm loving mine. Mine's set up SS currently. The swing drops are pretty cool.

EDIT: Oops, looks like the 18" is back ordered. Somebody's gotta have one in stock, though. Or you could buy a frame and build it up yourself. That's what I did.