Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member

Raleigh Talus 29

I am for any upgrades people have done to a Raleigh Talus 29. I don't see any info here about my bike.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Raleigh Talus 29-talus-29.jpg  

mtbr member

Talus 29

another picture
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Nice looking bike!! I like the red rims..Upgrades,I have no idea..

Uncle
    If you ride challenging / technical terrain, I'd aim towards the following:
    1) Pedals: Are your stock ones plastic? If so, get some Wellgo MG-1 -- nice light, metal platforms with removable pins
    2) Tires ideal for your local terrain: The Saguaros are great tires in many places, but not everywhere. If you have friends on 29ers that you ride with locally, what are they riding and liking?
    3) Fork: If yours absorbs the bumps well, and more importantly keeps your front wheel tracking in the turns, then ignore this. Otherwise, REBA...

Lots of other "upgrades" you could make if you start paying attention to these boards and your home scale. If you're just getting started in the sport, forget everything I said and just beat the piss out of it the way it is.
    Eat, ride, eat, rest, repeat.

mtbr member
    I don't have a Talus, but a Mojave (the Talus predecessor). I made some XC oriented changes and swaped out the wheels, which came with Wiemann rims, Geax Seguaro wire bead tires (super heavy- close to 1kg each), and joytech hubs for crest rims, Maxxis Ikon tires, and White Industries hubs, and saved close to 6 lb. Huge difference. I also upgraded the heavy crank/BB for the Shimano LX with outboard bearings and saved over 1 lb I think, with a noticable stiffness difference. I was also glad to get rid of the Avid cleansweep rotors (LOUD), for Alligator windcutter rotors. I think you have a different brand of brake to start with though.

singletrak junkie
    Good looking bike...wanna race
    "do it in the dirt "

mtbr member
    It looks really good! I've been checking it out online and didn't seem as cool. Need to throw it back in my list. How's the fork?

singletrak junkie
    I just rode his bike today on some beginner trails and I like the forks better than the ones On my mamba. In magazine shootouts they rate the mamba fork(rock shox) better than talus(suntour). Its just my opinion of coarse, but they seem firmer as mine seem squishy
    "do it in the dirt "

mtbr member
    They forks seam stiff to me but this is I first mountain bike. I really don't know much. It does fit me better than my brothers mamba.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    My buddy picked up a Sport cheap of Craigslist brand new. I think he paid $350 for it. He is in the process of flipping the frame....so far has a Marzocchi 44 Micro Ti with thru axle, Stan's Arches waiting. Just placed the order today for a full 2012 SLX kit including brakes....should be here in about a week. I will try to get him to post some pics.

Perpetual n00b

2012 Raleigh Talus 29

This was my wife's but it was too big for her so I swapped my bars, pedals, stem, etc to it and ride it now. It's a medium, and I am coming from a Specialized Hardrock 29 large so the Raleigh feels more like a BMX bike. It's far more responsive and climbs better than my Specialized.

SSolo
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Stranglehold View Post
    I am for any upgrades people have done to a Raleigh Talus 29. I don't see any info here about my bike.
    Love the colors and look of the bike, those red rims and flat black frame....mmmmm....
    Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life son...

mtbr member
    Nice bike and enjoy the ride

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Welcome to the club

The only things I've upgraded on mine are my pedals, twice. But that's the life of a poor college student. It's been great for everything I've been doing so far. My next upgrade is probably going to be a different set of tires. I love the saguaro's, but I need something a little more knobby for the wet areas I'm from.

On a side note, I wish they had a Raleigh forum I found a request for one in the site feedback page and tried to revive it, but no one else has replied to try and make it happen: Why no Raleigh Forum?

mtbr member
    I only upgrade my pedals (Azonic 420) and a new chain. There is not much to do to this bike. It comes with good components.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Great bike - underrated imho.. Had a 2011 like yours. Sold it to a friend.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

mtbr member
    What kind of bike did you replace it with if you dont mind my asking
    Not sure what I would buy if I sold mine. This bike just fits me perfect

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I bought a Trek Cobia - got a great deal buying it and selling the Talus. I'm 6ft8 and the larger 23" Cobia just fit me better..

Perpetual n00b
    I noticed the rims on this bike are 3mm wider than the ones on my Hardrock (21mm vs 18mm). That should add a little bit of volume to my Captain 2.0's

Talus on the bluffs above the Mississippi in Davenport, IA

mtbr member
    May 2012
    If you haven't already: replace the stock grips with some good quality lock-ons. The stock grips twist with the slightest of force, and without gloves they will give you horrible calluses. I have some red ODI Rogue grips, and I don't get calluses as bad with them (no gloves). Have fun on your new bike!

I am the Tin Man!
    I bought this bike for my wife, she has fallen in love with it. First upgrade to make is ditch the crank for an external bearing/2piece/hollowtech crank. That will knock off over a pound just in that move, plus it stiffens up the ride.
    Flying the HiFi...Clyde style.

SOMEBODY I LOVE NEEDS A HEART!

I AM AN ORGAN DONOR, ARE YOU?

Perpetual n00b
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzlyplumber View Post
    I bought this bike for my wife, she has fallen in love with it. First upgrade to make is ditch the crank for an external bearing/2piece/hollowtech crank. That will knock off over a pound just in that move, plus it stiffens up the ride.
    I looked at some replacement cranks but to get something worthwhile like a hollowtech is not in the budget. It's on the wishlist though! The Reba fork is very nice.

I am the Tin Man!
    Quote Originally Posted by dgw2jr View Post
    I looked at some replacement cranks but to get something worthwhile like a hollowtech is not in the budget. It's on the wishlist though! The Reba fork is very nice.

Keep an eye on ebay, I got a Sram X5, barely any use on it for $80 delvd. A quality crank that somebody upgraded almost immediately upon buying a mid level bike. Deals are there and can be had.
    Another thing I did was replace her tires and tubes with some that are a little smaller with not quite so aggressive of a tread since most of her riding is light trail mixed with some road. Weighed the components as I went, dropped a little over 2 lb per tire in the swap. So her bike is 5 lb lighter now than when we started.
    Next on the list is the fork, I am thinking if I am going to spend the money I would rather upgrade my fork and let her benefit from trickle down bike-anomics.
    I will try to get some pics up soon, it is a sharp looking bike.
    Flying the HiFi...Clyde style.

SOMEBODY I LOVE NEEDS A HEART!

I AM AN ORGAN DONOR, ARE YOU?

Perpetual n00b
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzlyplumber View Post
    Keep an eye on ebay, I got a Sram X5, barely any use on it for $80 delvd. A quality crank that somebody upgraded almost immediately upon buying a mid level bike. Deals are there and can be had.
    Another thing I did was replace her tires and tubes with some that are a little smaller with not quite so aggressive of a tread since most of her riding is light trail mixed with some road. Weighed the components as I went, dropped a little over 2 lb per tire in the swap. So her bike is 5 lb lighter now than when we started.
    Next on the list is the fork, I am thinking if I am going to spend the money I would rather upgrade my fork and let her benefit from trickle down bike-anomics.
    I will try to get some pics up soon, it is a sharp looking bike.
    We have the same thing going on but reverse! She gets all the new stuff and I get the leftovers. She benefits more from the reduced weight and higher quality components. I'm strong enough to power my tank wheels up a hill where she might have to walk halfway on the same tank wheels.

She prefers the rigid fork so I was able to upgrade to a Reba that an acquaintance was selling for very cheap. I haven't weighed her bike yet but just by picking it up I'd guess it's somewhere around 25lbs. We both use Purgatory and Captain tires because of all the leaves and off-camber in our area, plus we like to travel a lot to places that require more bite from the tires.

I have seen a lot of people say that the front end of the Raleigh is kinda high. I have my stem dropped all the way down to the headset. Is this still not low enough for some? Do you have to flip your stem to get enough drop?

Perpetual n00b
    Putting it back together

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast